Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Pump not working out of the box?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travis

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Pump not working out of the box? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

My brewery build is nearing completion, I was hoping to get my first batch going in a week or two, as I'm testing everything out at the moment now that basement construction is done. I bought two of these pumps: https://www.morebeer.com/products/march-pump-stainless-steel-center-inlet.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

One of them is working fine, but the other one is just making a humming/buzzing noise when I try to power it on. I've tried both electrical ports on each pump, and it's definitely the pump. Like a dummy I already cut the power cord and wired everything up before even testing the thing out of the box, so it's not returnable. Am I out $200, or is there some troubleshooting I can do to try and salvage this? I've already cut and re-terminated the wiring 3 times, with no luck. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers,
Travis
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I've tried both electrical ports on each pump" Did you mean both electrical ports on the control panel?
1. is the pump being primed well? since most of the pumps used in these systems are not self priming pumps (ie. march /chugger)
2. Open the pump housing and check your impeller, if its defective then you won't be moving any liquid. a new impeller kit isn't much.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely something is mis-aligned in the head. Take it off, see if the motor itself spins by itself. Then see if it's something in the head that's mis-aligned by taking that apart.

Lastly make sure you've wired the new plug up correctly.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
travis

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes @Firebrewmedic43, I am referring to both ports on the control panel. I am priming this one just how I am my working pump with no luck still.

I have taken off the head assembly and plugged the pump in. Still just a buzzing/humming. Verified the impeller spins freely and everything looks to be aligned. The fact that the motor isn't turning is a problem. I am wiring green to green screw, white to silver screw and black to black screw, just like my other pump that is working. I'm not sure really what else to try on this one.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep troubleshooting.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the fan on the back, if its bent it can get stuck

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
check the fan on the back, if its bent it can get stuck

This is common. One of the blades can get bent slightly and be hung up. Doesn't take much to keep it from spinning. THere are some videos on the internet. I think even on Chuggers site.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
travis

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations. At the very least I was able to get familiar with my pump layout and how to troubleshoot it, but it turns out I didn't need to and it works. I was wiring it correctly and everything was aligned as it should be. My problem was a unique one, and self-inflicted. I have a stainless steel table, and planned on mounting the pumps to a wooden frame, I just haven't gotten around to building it yet since I'm still testing and verifying everything.

What did I do in the meantime? Well stainless steel and a metal bracket, I'll just use a magnet to hold the pumps in place so they don't tip forward due to the valves that I added, and I didn't want them to vibrate and move at all. It turns out that I put the magnet further back on the pump that works, but more in the middle of the one that wasn't. That magnet was actually preventing the pump motor from turning over. I removed the magnet and it powered right up. Silly mistake, but at least it's resolved. I'm not going to use the magnets obviously, as I don't want extra stress to be put on the pumps. Guess I'll be making that wooden frame sooner rather than later!
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Glad you figured it out! Not sure I've heard that one before but explains the issue.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow..that was a unique problem. Glad you got it figured out and working
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely!

Motors work on magnetism principles and the heads on these pumps are physically decoupled from the drive shaft and instead driven by a magnet installed on the drive shaft which in turn pushes another magnet in the head. This is why it's ok to put a valve on the output of these pumps and run these pumps completely closed (no flow). But if you add more (strong) external magnets it could really mess things up.

Glad to hear you figured it out!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: