Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Selecting an RO System

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Selecting an RO System Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone!! I'm building out my 1BBL clone of Kai's system and I'm very excited to get it started!!

I have been reading up as much as I can on using RO water, as I live somewhere where the well water is not safe to drink thanks to contamination it accumulates between the source and my tap. This could be everything from unclean pipes to actual salt water intrusion leaks due to it's proximity to the ocean!

So I am preparing to filter my own water using an RO system. I have no experience with this so I'm wondering anyone on here that does have experience with these systems, can you lend some advice?

I will continue to support Kai's efforts through his sponsored links, so using his Amazon link - I'm left with a few brand choices that seems to be well reviewed, such as APEC, iSpring and Global Water. Anyone have experience using these?

Do any of these systems require any electric connections such as their own pumps or would they rely solely on the water system I already have? Energy consumption is a concern of mine as well.

Are these equipped and feasible for the larger demand of a 1bbl system? I'm figuring about 80-100 gallons required per brew day.

Thanks!!
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an fYI it will take about 12 to 24 hours to filter that much water at once and that water has to sit in a closed clean tank or it will need something to keep it fresh if not used right away since nothing is protecting it

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your going to need at least something like this and a large holding tank

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/the-gapper-light-commercial-ro-system/

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the replies Ozarks! I was thinking the HTL would be the holding tank, just making sure to start the filtration the day before brew day.

Yikes @ that Buckeye system price. It's certainly more in tune with my expected volumes but is also about 3-4 times the price I was hoping to spend. You don't think one of the APEC systems on Amazon would suffice?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make cheaper models on that site as well as other places, I was just thinking of the volume so if your willing to wait a day for water just look at a home version and the reviews

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might be better off just investing in a 3 carbon filer and get that water tested from ward labs then add your salts from that, I use a 20 gallon and it takes longer to heat the 20 gallons of water than to fill, it cuts the flow in half but it's fine

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your water isn't potable to begin with, I am not sure that I would depend on a filter to keep you safe. With that being said any system that you buy, make sure that it takes standard filters. 4x10 or 4x20 prefilters and a standard membrane. You can go with cheap housings, and replace them with higher quality filters later on. The only reason that you would need electric to a RO system is if your line pressure is low. They recommend to run them at minimum 45 psi, but ideally at 85 psi. So if your line pressure is low you have to have a booster pump to bring the pressure up.

Water General makes reasonably prices systems, that take standard filters. I have run one of their systems for years without problems. I originally bought one for my reef aquarium, but no use it for drinking and brewing.

https://filterdirect.com/ar125-koolermax-6stage-aquarium-drinking-120gpd-reverse-osmosis-p-257.html?osCsid=4c8b393405202e846f5cbef0cc66408e

That system is a 120 gallons per day, but noticed that they do make one that is 300 gallons per day. You could go with a smaller system, like the 120 gallons per day one and purchase a holding tank, like https://www.lowes.com/pd/Water-Worker-86-Gallon-Vertical-Pressure-Tank/4095305 That way you wouldn't have to wait as long to fill up your kettle. I don't see why you couldn't start filling up your kettle the day before with a smaller system and simply just wait for it to make that much water.
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my $0.02 on the topic: this sounds like something you want to diy or assemble yourself. However, my concern is this: if you water isn't safe to drink in its current state weather contaminated to start or becoming contaminated in route to your home from the well; how do you/will you know that RO filtration system is set up correctly to eliminate said contamination. I understand that (in theory) RO filtration should remove all your ions and cations; however, my question remains- what the contamination makes it through the membranes of the RO filters... Also how will you safely know its time to replace said filters ect. This in mind, my recommendation would be to call someone like kinetico / insert other company, however I highly recommend kinetico ( https://www.kinetico.com/ ) have them come out run their test and see what set up would be best for your circumstances... not saying to buy it- but maybe it would give you a better understanding of the equipment you'd need to effectively and safely diy this for your build.
dtapke

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the iSpring ICC7, with a three stage deionization filter post RO to filter water into a 35G holding tank. I also have a heat wrap around the three stage prefilter to keep the water at the ideal temperature as it flows through (our water in winter gets down to about 45F). My water pressure is 55psi, so no pump for me. With this setup I have 35 gallons of 0 TDS water on hand. I use this for a coral reef tank as well as my brewing. It takes almost a full day to produce that amount of water.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
I was thinking the HTL would be the holding tank, just making sure to start the filtration the day before brew day.?

I have the iSprings RCS5T https://www.amazon.com/iSpring-RCS5T-Commercial-Tankless-Reverse/dp/B00PCRSD7I/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1542572857&sr=8-1&keywords=RCS5t&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=ecbfec6bf4f8ab01d68854454b49ae38&language=en_US which is capable of producing 500 gpd according to the site.

I do as you mentioned where I'll either fill my 20 gallon HLT the day before or the morning of. I looked into getting a holding tank, but opted against it because of the space requirements and more complicated piping. It makes 5 gallons of RO water in about 15 minutes. You do need a 110v power source, but it doesn't draw much current. Let me know if you want more specifics on that particular unit, but I like it and would buy it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: