Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

mash tun brand/false bottom setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raffeja

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: mash tun brand/false bottom setup Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm currently using a converted keg with a hinged false bottom from Stainless Brewing (http://stainlessbrewing.3dcartstores.com/15-SS-Hinged-False-Bottom-_p_163.html). I get terrible grain bed compaction and have to stir throughout the mash to keep it flowing. Has anyone tried other brands outside of Blichmann? Not hating on them, just exploring all options. Spike Brewing looks to have a nice setup and false bottom for a lot cheaper. Blichmann certainly has the most unique false bottom design. Should I shut up and drop the cash on the Blichmann or is anyone having luck with other options?
raffeja

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I have a pretty coarse crush, so it has nothing to do with that
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How coarse is coarse ? What do you have your mill gap set to?

What pump are you using?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
raffeja

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mill is set at 0.046" and I'm using a Chugger pump SS center inlet.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for confirming. So your mill is set fairly coarse as you mentioned, and you should be able to run that pump full throttle without any issues.

You could loosen the mill slightly to 0.050 - 0.055" or so and mash slightly longer but I doubt it'll help much if you're having severe grain bed compaction issues today at 0.046".

I do really like Blickmann kettles and would still use them if I had to rebuild today, even though there are many more options available now. They are more expensive, but they're the "pay once, cry once" solution that I find gets everything right. I have some thoughts/opinions on the spike kettles here if you're curious: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315946#315946

Good luck!

Kal

raffeja

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always appreciate your prompt and detailed responses. Thanks for everything.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome raffeja!

If you're curious to read more why I like Blichmann kettles, take a look here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview

Good luck with your setup!

Kal

JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey folks- I was curious on everyones thoughts about using either of these products in the MLT... pro's vs. con's / need vs. want.

SS Brewtech recirculation kit
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/recommended-mash-tun-accessories/products/recirculation-kit-infussion-mash-tun

Blichmann Engineering autosparge
https://www.blichmannengineering.com/autosparge.html
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts here on sparge arms: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/mash-lauter-tun?page=3

LD/DR: You don't need anything fancy. I get 95% mash efficiency with a simple hose. Keeping the setup simple results in no chance of clogs, less parts to clean, less cost, and less work.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
My thoughts here on sparge arms: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/mash-lauter-tun?page=3

LD/DR: You don't need anything fancy. I get 95% mash efficiency with a simple hose. Keeping the setup simple results in no chance of clogs, less parts to clean, less cost, and less work.

Kal

Sweet- good to know. Thank you.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would suggest is using a QD on the hose connection to the inside of the kettle. Makes it nice to remove when cleaning or adding grain. I just hang it up with the other hoses at the end of the brew.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
One thing I would suggest is using a QD on the hose connection to the inside of the kettle. Makes it nice to remove when cleaning or adding grain. I just hang it up with the other hoses at the end of the brew.

I like that- I think that will be the golden ticket!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - depending on your setup and process, making the hose removable may help you out. I toyed with the idea but ended up not using one.

Kal

JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not to sure how my process will change/ adapt to the new set up- guessing there will be a bit of trial and error... but more coast affective to play around with a QD than $70-100 attachment to start.
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always use a QD for something else if you don't like using it in the MT. So out no money!
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887

I use the ss SS Brewtech recirculation manifold. I modified it to use a 1/2" hose for better circulation. I was having a very uneven grain bed using the loose hose methed. I gained about 3% mash efficency, now i have a very leval grain bed.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Awesome- thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated!
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

701pilot wrote:
JMD887

I use the ss SS Brewtech recirculation manifold. I modified it to use a 1/2" hose for better circulation. I was having a very uneven grain bed using the loose hose methed. I gained about 3% mash efficency, now i have a very leval grain bed.

I've thought about getting that attachment a few times. I just didn't like how it used such a small hose size. How did you modify it?

raffeja

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R9OFGS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=5477bf6c3f39896f41fb4f609af212ff

I've been using the Loc-Line product as my "sparge arm"/recirc tube in the mash tube. I still get a little bit of suction in my sight glass, so that's less reliable to view as I adjust flow rates. Since this stays in place, I can use it as a marker to gauge flow rates and make adjustments accordingly. 1/2" piece screws inside the mash tun, and I can simply pull it off if I want to clean.
dtapke

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
hey folks- I was curious on everyones thoughts about using either of these products in the MLT... pro's vs. con's / need vs. want.

SS Brewtech recirculation kit
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/recommended-mash-tun-accessories/products/recirculation-kit-infussion-mash-tun

Blichmann Engineering autosparge
https://www.blichmannengineering.com/autosparge.html

I use the sparge manifold and the autosparge from your links and love them both. Obviously they're gadgets, and I like gadgets. The autosparge is great for me as it allows be to run my sparge pump and mash pump and the sparge level stays perfect during the whole sparge. this allows me to do long slow sparges on bigger batches (18-24 gallons) hands free. I also use the Blichmann G2 valve on the input to my kettle which really lets me dial in the flow i want.

but do you need them? not at all. I know folks that get nearly the same efficiency i do on cooler mash tuns doing batch sparging with a stripped out stainless braided toilet supply line for the false bottom Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: