Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Beer will not carb up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zimmekt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Beer will not carb up Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does anyone have any experience with a beer not carbing up? I had a split batch of an IPA that I put into two separate kegs. It was just a simple session IPA that I made a 10 gallon batch and put into two carboys as I didn't have my conical yet. Both fermented fine and test samples tasted good. Put one of each carboy into a separate keg and force carbed them. Put the one on tap and ran through it in two weeks (when you brew it seems friends always want to watch the game at your place) while the other sat chilled and under pressure. Switched kegs last weekend and the first pull was flat. Fiddled around checking for leaks or anything out of the ordinary. Tried switching gas lines and left it sit for a few day and pulled another from the tap and still flat.

I have kegged quite a few (100+) beers over the years and never had this issue. The only possible thing I can think of is I was down from a brewing perspective for a little over a year while a built my panel and brewery components as well as the brewing area and all of my kegs sat sanitized and under pressure. Since I am up and running again and opening up some of these kegs I have been noticing a peculiar odor when I open them. I can't quite describe it, almost a grape like smell but not exact. It hasn't been all of them, but enough to make me question of there was some sort of reaction to the small amount of Star-San that remained in the bottom of the kegs. Some of them didn't get as well drained as I would have like and an ounce or three of Star-San sat in there for that year time frame.

Could it have reacted in some manner? Perhaps causing the CO2 not to absorb? I'm grasping at straws here as I know that isn't really a reasonable explanation. My only option left is to try transferring to a new keg and carbing up in that. Since I had this problem I re-cleaned all of my kegs and sanitized them again.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO2 will get into solution no matter what the solution is.

My guess would be that the keg is leaking.

Assuming it's a keg with a pull gas release valve on the lid, i would crank up the CO2 and burp it with high pressure then disconnect and leave it overnight. Try burping again to see if the pressure's still there. If not, it's leaked out. You can do this more accurately too if you disconnect all other kegs and turn off your cylinder gas and then watch the PSI dial as it'll be showing the keg pressure. It shouldn't drop when left overnight.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that I think there is a leak in your keg or the keg gas in connection. I've also had an issue once of not pushing the gas in connection all the way down and my keg never got carbed. Could that possibly of been the issue?
View user's photo album (3 photos)
zimmekt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried burping the PRV a few times to see if gas flowed in correctly with the thinking I had a bad poppet that wasn't allowing gas in. Maybe I incorrectly eliminated a leak as a culprit as I assumed a keg leaking gas for that long would have drained my 20# CO2 tank. I guess anything is possible. Like Kal said, you could carb up any liquid solution if you wanted. I'm going to just try and push the beer to a different keg and see if the issue follows it and troubleshoot the empty keg separately.
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with keging beer; however, have at times had difficulty obtaining a good carbonation while bottle conditioning. Not sure if its r/t over finning vs not using enough priming sugar. I haven't played with the amount of priming sugar yet out of concern of bottles exploding if the pressure becomes to great.

Any thoughts?

-John
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
I have no experience with keging beer; however, have at times had difficulty obtaining a good carbonation while bottle conditioning. Not sure if its r/t over finning vs not using enough priming sugar. I haven't played with the amount of priming sugar yet out of concern of bottles exploding if the pressure becomes to great.

Any thoughts?

-John

Without knowing you process for bottle conditioning it would be hard to determine what is going on. My assumption would be that you are not getting your added sugar mixed correctly in all the beer before bottling. Meaning some bottles have more sugar than others. Could also be your yeast is to stressed, beer to cold, not waiting long enough before cracking open one. There are many things that could cause your issues.

JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
Without knowing you process for bottle conditioning it would be hard to determine what is going on. My assumption would be that you are not getting your added sugar mixed correctly in all the beer before bottling. Meaning some bottles have more sugar than others. Could also be your yeast is to stressed, beer to cold, not waiting long enough before cracking open one. There are many things that could cause your issues.

Overall my bottling process is as follows:
I'll bring 1 cup of distilled water to a boil and dissolve 5oz of priming sugar.
let it cool to room temp (66-68F) while sanitizing the bottles, bucket, tubing ect.
Poor cooled solution into bottling bucket, transfer beer to bucket from carboy
gently stir with metal mixing spoon.
Fill 22oz bottles and cap.

Will allow to rest at room temperature for two weeks +/- a few days- chill one bottle and see what happens.

I've never took into account the temperature of the beer when bottled s/p cold crash. depending on style of beer I may fin with gelatin and let it rest for 2 days longer prior to bottling.... Which, I suppose could cause some stress on the yeast.

thanks for the thoughts and ideas- will have to play around with the process a tab more.
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are doing is correct. So I'm not sure what the issue could be. You could try the sugar tablets that you place directly into the bottle. I've had great results with those.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are doing is correct. So I'm not sure what the issue could be. You could try the sugar tablets that you place directly into the bottle. I've had great results with those.

That's what I was thinking I'd try next before I looked into other possible problems. However, may have to wait until spring at this point. It's not looking promising for another brew day before winter.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey folks- Its been 4 weeks and a day since I bottled my last batch of brew. It still has not carbonated well, taste great- but is pretty much flat. any ideas on a fix at this point to get some more carbonation?

i.e- would it be worth wild uncapping and adding one of those carbonation drops and then recap?
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could possibly work. I've done it before but I would recommend having a friend ready to recap. It will want to turn into a geyser once you add the drops. Personally I would just do a couple and check back later to see if it worked before doing the full batch.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could possibly work. I've done it before but I would recommend having a friend ready to recap. It will want to turn into a geyser once you add the drops. Personally I would just do a couple and check back later to see if it worked before doing the full batch.

perfect- I'll give it a try with 1-2 bottles and see what happens... Do you want to come assist? lol
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! Although you may find a few cases that disappear about the same time I leave....lol
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a fair trade off. It just means I'll have to brew something up to replace what wonders off.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks,

I added a "dash" of US-05 (yes I know very scientific measurement) and 1 carbonation drop to 5 bottles; and in another 5 bottles, just a dash of US-05. Boxed them up and placed them in my empty boil kettle for safe keeping (preparing for bottle bombs). Will update you with the results when I check back on them in a couple weeks.

Cheers!

John
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan! I would recommend placing them on a top shelf somewhere also.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan! I would recommend placing them on a top shelf somewhere also.

whys that dp?
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warmer air up higher. Help carb better.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUH! the baby must of kept me up longer than I thought last night. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Thanks!
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: It's been exactly 1 week since re-pitching US-O5 to all 10 bottles and adding carbonation drops to 5 of the ten bottles. Up to this point no bottle bombs. Will allow one more week rest prior to sampling the labor of this science experiment.

Cheers,
-John
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: