Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

DIY Brewing Cart solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: DIY Brewing Cart solution Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Folks

For the past 11 months I've been trying to find the best solution where to put the electric set up when finished in my basement. Our home was built in 1954- its a ranch with a 60%ish finished basement with acts as our main entertainment area as the upper level is committed to living i.e. bedrooms, bathroom, dinning room, kitchen. Further, there are really only two places I could permanently set up shop.

The first location is so small once all the gear was placed there would be little to no room to move about- not ideal, but do able. Additionally, It would requiring the addition of power, water, drainage, and ventilation. All easy adds, except drainage. Which at this time my wife is not agreeable to allow me to do. Mind you theres a plumbing stack in this location. Would be an easy task for a plumber.

The second location - which currently is home to the furnace, workshop, and current brewing equipment and fermentation chamber is large enough; however, will also require the addition of power, water, drainage, and ventilation. Again all easy adds except drainage. Down side to this location- the plumber would have to jack hammer the floor to run drainage as there is not a plumbing stack close to this location. I didn't try to talk my wife into this one- picking my battles. Cool

Insert my ah ha moment- the laundry room. it has power, water, drainage, and easy access to ventilation. However isn't large enough to set up shop permanently. Solution: a compact portable cart. Laughing

This is where feedback would be appreciated. This is a fairy rough plan:

Fabricate a brew table with a length of 60" width of 24"and height of 25 once fixed on casters to allow mobility. This will give a floor to top of kettle height of roughly 48" which is about mid chest and allow an easy view into and access to the kettles.

Next- continue the four side legs up to a terminal height of 78" - will give a inch of wiggle room to pass under the doorway. Fabricate a ventilation hood to cover the length of the brew table. Material ideas for this include pressure treated plywood, foam insulation sheets, a combo of the plywood and insulation sheets, or if I can find it large enough a pice of metal duct work.

I could then mount the control panel to the side of the cart and power it off of my current dry line. I can use the utility sink in the room for water, cleaning, and drainage. Finally I would be able to swap out the ventilation from the dryer to my ventilation hood fixed to the top of the cart. The ventilation fan and controls could be mounted to the side opposite of the control panel and powered from one of the existing outlets in the room.

The cart would allow storage in one of the two locations mentioned above and ability to roll it into the laundry room for the brew day and then remove and place back into storage.

Has anyone done something similar to this? IF so what would you change/do differently? I think this is my best option to allow use indoors so as I continue my build I feel as if I need to refine this idea and thought I'd run it past those active on the forum for some feed back.

Happy weekend, Hope some of y'all are able to brew!

-John
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Do you have any pictures of the brewing space and possible diagram mockups of what you propose? It may be easier for people to wrap their heads around what you plan on doing. Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you want to be using the same ventilation as the dryer. Over time you are going to mix lint and water vapor in there. Might have a mess on your hands at some point. I get that it's a lot easier, but I would consider having something separate for your brewing ventilation. Maybe someone else will chime in who has done this and found it's fine. I just know from experience that my dryer run has to be thoroughly cleaned every few years to remove the lint that gets past the dryer trap.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
I wonder if you want to be using the same ventilation as the dryer. Over time you are going to mix lint and water vapor in there. Might have a mess on your hands at some point. I get that it's a lot easier, but I would consider having something separate for your brewing ventilation. Maybe someone else will chime in who has done this and found it's fine. I just know from experience that my dryer run has to be thoroughly cleaned every few years to remove the lint that gets past the dryer trap.

Very valid concern- I suppose I wasn't very clear. My thought process was to use completely separate ventilation duct work and use re-use the same exit point from the house to prevent drilling an additional hole in the wall.
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi! Do you have any pictures of the brewing space and possible diagram mockups of what you propose? It may be easier for people to wrap their heads around what you plan on doing. Good luck!

Kal

Heres my fifth attempt at drawling something up.

Brew cart.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.98 KB
 Viewed:  9251 Time(s)

Brew cart.JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
My thought process was to use completely separate ventilation duct work and use re-use the same exit point from the house to prevent drilling an additional hole in the wall.

I'm not sure I follow that. How do you install completely separate duct-work for the brewery but then use the same hole in the wall as existing duct-work, without using the existing duct-work?

Kal

JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe these will help.

To vent the brewery- I was thinking I could unhook the dryer discharge duct from the connection to the block window and simply attach a section of duct work from the blocked window pass through to the ventilation hood attached to the top of the brewing cart.

IMG-4701.JPG
 Description:
An over view of the area in consideration
 Filesize:  104.01 KB
 Viewed:  9240 Time(s)

IMG-4701.JPG

IMG-4700.JPG
 Description:
A up close to the dryer discharge- only thing holding in place is a circular clip. Removing this clip will allow its removal and replacement with brewing duct work to vent to the outside.
 Filesize:  109.46 KB

IMG-4700.JPG

IMG-4699.JPG
 Description:
The dryer discharge duct from a distance
 Filesize:  84.48 KB

IMG-4699.JPG

JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what I'm thinking about- except adding a mode of ventilation and made of lumber rather than bought r/t the odd size required.

IMG-4694.png
 Description:
Found on The Electric Brewery's instagram
 Filesize:  178.49 KB
 Viewed:  9235 Time(s)

IMG-4694.png

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll work! Look at this build for some brew stand ideas too: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30817

Kal

JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
That'll work! Look at this build for some brew stand ideas too: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30817

Kal

awesome- thank you. I'll definitely take a look at this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: