Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Did I blow up my adjustable power supplies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonto_ale_works

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Did I blow up my adjustable power supplies? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Rookie move. Forgot to adjust my power supplies for the amp and volt meters down to 5 VDC before I fired up my panel. Pretty sure the meters blew up, as they got very hot (as well as the transformer?). Anyway I try to use the adjustment screw to lower the VDC but I can only get the Volt power supply down to 23.1 and the amp power supply down to 25.2. All the wiring looks correct so I'm 95% sure that us not the issue. 19.1 V going into the supply for what worth...

Thanks for the easy to follow design Kal! Built it all on my own with what I would describe as beginner electronic skills. Everything worked perfectly besides the meter mistake
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site! Yeah, I would also assume they are toast.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately if you feed a much too high voltage (20-30V) into the meters that expect under 5V, they will most likely be damaged fairly quickly. Note that if replacing a meter that was damaged due to incorrect wiring (or possibly over-voltage), the power supply may need to be replaced at the same time as it may have also been damaged.

Meters & Power supplies: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/power-supplies

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tonto_ale_works

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, lonnnnnng time lurker. Finally building my own brewery to join in the fun! Guess you will be seeing another order for meters and power supplies here soon Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the build!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
LMartin

Drinking: Brown Shugga, Bridgeburner, Accidental Amber, Electric IPA

Working on: Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds all to familiar, the link below is my post with similar issue. Hopefully your issue is not as severe as my self inflicted damage was.
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31640&highlight=

Lynn
NeilHol

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonto_ale_works wrote:
Thanks fellas, lonnnnnng time lurker. Finally got ExpressVPN today and building my own brewery to join in the fun! Guess you will be seeing another order for meters and power supplies here soon Kal!

I'm really glad I've seen this thread. Looks like something I would do too. Cheers for the link to the other thread too, Lynn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: