Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Rtd troubles SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonto_ale_works

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Rtd troubles SOLVED Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I have a mixture of straight from China RTD and straight from auber RTD probes.

Straight from China probes with provided wire work fine but plug the wire into the auber probes and I get the orAL error.

China probes setup as follows:
If you take the probe apart there are white wires on pin 1 and 2. Red wire on pin 3.

Auber setup as follows
2 clear wires. 1 wire is soldered to both pin 1 and pin 3. And another to pin 2.

The wires that came with the China probes came with two white and 1 red. I figured the wiring procedure would be the same just with different colors. So I soldered the two whites to pin 1 and 3 and the red to pin 2. This works fine for the China probes but no dice for auber probes.

What am I doing wrong? I feel like the probes should be working regardless of where the wire came from. I have ruled out a wiring issue in the panel as I can move the connection around and get the correct readings on all the PID controllers.

I am beginning to realize that like most things in life. Trying to save a buck just ends up costing more time, money, and frustration. Lol

Last edited by Tonto_ale_works on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming your cables are all wired the same the probes should be too but don't pay attention to the color, switch it around until it reads, you didn't mention what pid's you have are they all the same?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on switching it up until it works. Anyone else ever open up an auber?
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probe or pid, yes I've re soldered auber probes many times, the small silicone hose piece is very important

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless your talking about the probe its self, no and I wouldn't

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The XLR connector.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's ok to take them apart as long as you reassemble the same, if you need to solder it can be tricky the first time or two, just don't melt the plastic

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I soldered them originally. I can handle that.

So I emailed Auber this morning and got the data on the resistance at the probe.

Pin 1 & 2: 100 Ohms
Pin 2 & 3: 100 Ohms
Pin 1 & 3: 0 Ohms

If you had an Auber Cable:
Resistance between the Red and Red wire should be around 0
Resistance between Blue and Either Red should be around 100.

So Ill run the multimeter on it tonight and see if I can get some wires to match up. Ill keep this post updated because I'm sure im not the only one who has/will ordered china parts
Tonto_ale_works

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to close the thread up.

Buzzed the probes down to the xlr connectors. Turns out the wires that had 0 ohm resistance in my setup were not of the same color.

So for any future reference, when in doubt take the multimeter to the probe pins first to rule out the probe as the problem. Then onto the wires. The combination of two wires that give you 0 ohms should go on pins 1 and 3. Last wire goes to pin 2.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it figured out. Good work!
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: