Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

micromatic no longer selling the 8-product line sets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedactyl

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: micromatic no longer selling the 8-product line sets? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It appears all of Kal's links to the 8-product wrapped line end up at a page that sells individual lines and a similar looking 5-product version. I have a feeling that they are not stocking this product anymore since even the 5-line set says 'quantities limited' (or something like that) when you select it. Unfortunately, I've tried a couple of times but I can't seem to get ahold of anyone at the company. (I'll try a couple more times today to see if I can get through.) That said, I'd be appreciative for some advice on what to do here.

Do other companies make line sets that would perform similarly? I know from experience that I can't use a cheap product for the beer lines since I can easily detect the taste of plastics.

Alternatively, I could build my own line set, I'm definitely capable, but it looks like a lot of work. I'm assuming I could buy 8x 15ft runs of something like https://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/wine-tubing-pid-548GENX.html?affId=70238. Then 3/8" ID copper lines for the glycol (or can I use some sort of polyethylene tubing)? Then find some large pipe insulation and finally assemble into a very untidy bundle. Smile

David
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I have seen their trunk line come and go on the website. Odd. They supply major bars and locations across North America so don't understand why they would be getting out of larger 8/10/12 (or whatever) product lines.

I don't think I'd try making my own. That would be a real pain. It's what I did on my previous setup but I only had about 3 feet. It also wouldn't be as resilient. Their stuff is well protected with a fairly thick outer shell.

That said, what sort of distances are we talking? How far do you have outside of the tower / fridge?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pedactyl

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought it was weird too. I mean, a could probably get away only about 5-7ft depending on where I set up the keezer. I have two rooms, the keezer will be in one room against the shared wall, line set will run through the wall directly into a cabinet with the tower on top. I was planning on running 15ft for the pressure reduction and just hiding the excess somewhere. (Probably behind the keezer.)

David
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odder that you can't seem to get in contact with them. They list 2 numbers:

PRODUCT SUPPORT

CONSUMER (866) 291-5756
COMMERCIAL (866) 327-4159

I would try both.

Kal

pedactyl

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was confusing, I was finally able to get in contact with them. I bet it took a while because they routed me to a local rep. They are still selling them but it's not in the same spot anymore. Once they gave me the product ID (CDI842-X), I was able to find it.

Here's all of them: https://www.micromatic.com/beer-equipment-trunk%20lines/1/4-inch-id-line?affId=70238

Specifically the 8-line: https://www.micromatic.com/1-4-inch-id-line/gen-x-trunk-line-1-4-inch-id-8-products-w-2-glycol-lines-cdi842-x?affId=70238

Maybe they changed the product slightly and moved it to a different place. Appreciate the thoughts Kal. Glad I don't have to make one of these.
pedactyl

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question, is there a minimum length I should order? I mentioned 15ft above but the run is probably only 7-10ft. I remember reading somewhere that the lines shouldn't be tooo short.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedactyl wrote:
Well, that was confusing, I was finally able to get in contact with them. I bet it took a while because they routed me to a local rep. They are still selling them but it's not in the same spot anymore. Once they gave me the product ID (CDI842-X), I was able to find it.

Here's all of them: https://www.micromatic.com/beer-equipment-trunk%20lines/1/4-inch-id-line?affId=70238

Specifically the 8-line: https://www.micromatic.com/1-4-inch-id-line/gen-x-trunk-line-1-4-inch-id-8-products-w-2-glycol-lines-cdi842-x?affId=70238

Maybe they changed the product slightly and moved it to a different place. Appreciate the thoughts Kal. Glad I don't have to make one of these.

Well that's truly odd! Thanks for finding this. I've now updated my links too in my basement build article to avoid future confusion. Wink

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedactyl wrote:
One more question, is there a minimum length I should order? I mentioned 15ft above but the run is probably only 7-10ft. I remember reading somewhere that the lines shouldn't be tooo short.

I would order a few feet more than you need (I think I needed around 15 but probably ordered around 18-20, just in case). You don't want to go short. I also wanted room inside my keezer to be able to hook up any line to any keg in any position. So measure from the bottom of the tower to wherever the farthest keg will be and then add a bit. Remember that the stuff is thick and stiff. You're going to make very large radius turns.

If it's actually 7-10 feet that's fine. I don't think you'll have issues. Ignore beer length calculators (they will make your head explode) and just go with 0.25" ID for anything up to about 50 feet.

Good luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: