Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fuller's ESB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
sillbeer wrote:
I brewed this today and definitely need to work on refining my process. I have been crushing at .038" forever and need to give it up. This is the second time I've had a problem that I think is directly related to the crush. I know you recommend .045" and I'll probably come to terms with that, eventually.

If using a recirculating setup similar to the one I describe in the build instructions, 0.045" to 0.050" is typically good.

Quote:
Secondly, I recently read an article about step mashing being a thing of the past. We'll, I didn't step mash and I didn't hit my targets. Came a couple points low. I will try again later and step mash to see if it makes a difference on my setup.

I think there may be some confusion here. Whether you step mash or not, or even what temperature you single infusion mash at will not affect your original gravity. If your OG was low, it's due to lower mash efficiency. Adjust for next time. Every setup is different.

Quote:
I topped off with two gallons of water and ended up with 1.047 instead of 1.051. I ended up putting 10.5 gallons into my two fermenters at 1.057. Not too far off but I'm curious to know if step mashing will help with the extra runnings.

No. step mashing does nothing to increase your pre-fermentation gravity.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Kal. I will make a few adjustments for next time and compare.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! On any setup it takes a few kicks at the can until things fall in place and you understand the efficiency of your setup/how things work.

Kal

sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I transferred this to kegs today and was pretty happy with it. The OG came in at 1.057 and the FG was 1.006. ((OG-FG)/.776). Is that right? I came in at 6.5% which seems a touch high. I poured a little taste during the transfer and it did not have any off flavors.

I kept it at 64 degrees for two weeks and noticed extremely slow air lock activity. I opened the cooler doors and let them come up to 68 degrees for another two weeks. I know air lock activity is not an indication of yeast activity but I have not experienced this slow of activity before so I was really thinking something was off.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillbeer wrote:
I transferred this to kegs today and was pretty happy with it. The OG came in at 1.057 and the FG was 1.006. ((OG-FG)/.776). Is that right?

Not sure what that calculation is. To calculate ABV I usually use the calculator built into my brewing software. It tells me 1.057 to 1.006 is 6.69%. There are lots of online calculators available too.

Your OG is fine. Very close. Your FG at 1.006 is really low however. Target is 1.014. Normally you don't want this beer to dry out too much - you want some body/mouthfeel. Try increasing your mash temp next time and/or increasing the amount of unfermentables by swapping out a bit of Maris Otter for carapils/carafoam or similar. I'm surprised at 1.006 however as that's really far off from 1.014. What equipment did you use to measure FG? Did you compensate for temp?

Cheers!

Kal

snowtiger87

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have brewed this recipe many times now, experimenting with the hops (all English though). Next time I will use Admiral for bittering and First Gold for finishing in an effort to get a marmalade character in the beer.
PeeBee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowtiger87 wrote:
I have brewed this recipe many times now, experimenting with the hops (all English though). Next time I will use Admiral for bittering and First Gold for finishing in an effort to get a marmalade character in the beer.

Cor, this thread goes on-and-on! So I'll add my bit …

I think the reputed "marmalade" note comes from the yeast, not hops. Or so I've been told. I've made something along these lines (Fullers ESB) several times using the supposedly Fullers yeast (WLP002) and the Wyeast one (WY1968) but can't say I've ever got "marmalade" out of them. Many folk dispute whether these yeasts are the same as Fullers yeast (I can't get even close to a 1845 clone with them, so I stick with S-33 dried yeast, which has no-one making such claims of origin). For ESB some folk claim to have success from culturing the dregs of 1845 (I've not tried).

Can't say I noticed "marmalade" in the real thing, but it has been a while (7-8 years) since I've been down that way. Comparison will be even harder your side of the Atlantic. The bottled stuff is wildly different.

Hops: I'm beginning to suspect Northdown (which I don't use in anything else) is responsible for a flavour that does not make me think of ESB. But as it's not adding an unpleasant flavour, I continue to use it.

This thread unearths some very strange practices concerning "cask style" ales. It probably helped me start to write out my "treatise" on cask style home-brew (I've been lurking here a while): Or, at the very least, this treatise should add some more "strange practices"? (It's on my Google drive).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5tRM-5EQUhZbDNPdmV1bWc/view
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/fullers-esb

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

PeeBee

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quest for "orange marmalade" …

PeeBee wrote:
… I've made something along these lines (Fullers ESB) several times using the supposedly Fullers yeast (WLP002) and the Wyeast one (WY1968) but can't say I've ever got "marmalade" out of them. Many folk dispute whether these yeasts are the same as Fullers yeast (I can't get even close to a 1845 clone with them, so I stick with S-33 dried yeast, which has no-one making such claims of origin). For ESB some folk claim to have success from culturing the dregs of 1845 (I've not tried).

Can't say I noticed "marmalade" in the real thing, but it has been a while (7-8 years) since I've been down that way. Comparison will be even harder your side of the Atlantic. The bottled stuff is wildly different.

Hops: I'm beginning to suspect Northdown (which I don't use in anything else) is responsible for a flavour that does not make me think of ESB. But as it's not adding an unpleasant flavour, I continue to use it. …

Perhaps the answer to my lack of "orange marmalade" was staring me in the face:

I claimed I never got "orange marmalade" from the likes of WLP002, but then why would I? Marmalade to me is chunky, peel laden, bitter Seville oranges, so much so I have to make my own to guarantee a supply. Most people look to mass market, sugary sweet, somewhat thin on fruit, "supermarket" marmalade. So I reconfigure my expectations in my Fuller's ESB clone and suddenly all I can taste is orange marmalade! And the strange flavour I thought was coming from Northdown hops: It has completely gone. The "strange flavour" was "orange marmalade"!

In my quest for "orange marmalade" I was told Imperial "Pub" yeast also has that quality. Haven't tried it yet.

My current batch of ESB clone is terrific, surely has to have a permanent place amongst my beer taps. The disadvantage is it is a bit strong!

Hic! Drunk
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Taste is definitely an interesting / subjective thing, one that can even change from day to year / year to year for one person.

Kal

KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/fullers-esb

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

I'm getting ready to brew this recipe either on December 24th or 26th. Any changes to the original recipe? I ask due to the "Recipe has been re-written".

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe's been expanded on and clarified, and moved the new site. It's the same recipe, just with more info, more pictures, more videos.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, brewing this next week on Dec 22nd! Got all my grain and yeast and I was able to locate all the correct hops. Can't wait to brew this one!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your brew day John!

I've got this ESB on my "to brew" list as well. Going to put the next batch on nitro/CO2 blend.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brew day went smooth and I hit my numbers exactly! Love the predictability of this system once dialed in! Smelled great on the back lanai today. I will report back when I tap this beauty!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Enjoy the beer!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, been drinking this for a few days now. All I can say is WOW this is an excellent beer. Such a nice change to from American pale ales. I love English beers but I have never made an ESB until now. Well I will definitely be making this one in rotation. The malt is very nice and the hops are perfect. Just a wonderful beer with that unmistakable English flavor. As always thanks again for posting!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear John! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I agree that variety is good. While American styles are typically my favourite, it's nice to try something different from time to time. Cheers!

Kal

KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good recipe. One of my favs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: