Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
Home ]   [ Products ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ What's New ]   [ About / Contact  ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop Stopper™ 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Zombie Dust Clone

Working on: Electric Hop Candy Jr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Kal,

I think I will purchase one of these. Quick question, my current setup has a 1/2” dip tube which is approximately 20 to 25 cm long in a 50cm diameter flat bottom boil kettle. Should the length of the dip tube remain the same so it is central? This would mean the hop stopper would be off centre... or.... should I trim the dip tube so that the hop stopper is lined up with the centre of the kettle?

Thanks

Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, Scottish 70/-, English IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter, Saison

Working on: Kölsch

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
I think I will purchase one of these. Quick question, my current setup has a 1/2” dip tube which is approximately 20 to 25 cm long in a 50cm diameter flat bottom boil kettle. Should the length of the dip tube remain the same so it is central? This would mean the hop stopper would be off centre... or.... should I trim the dip tube so that the hop stopper is lined up with the centre of the kettle?

Hi!
Where the Hop Stopper is positioned in your kettle doesn't matter. Mine's near the valve since that's where the dip tube ends:

Cheers!

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
srung551

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Side dip tube Reply with quote

Unfortunately my dip tube is to the side because of the location of my bottom drain anyway of installing a hop stopper?

7ABE5B54-7489-491F-AA35-6E44A14E305A.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.48 KB
 Viewed:  743 Time(s)

7ABE5B54-7489-491F-AA35-6E44A14E305A.jpeg

ihomebrewsolutions

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis Collins here from Innovative Homebrew Solutions, manufacturer of the Hop Stopper. It might be possible to trim off your dip tube so that it can sit vertically. What is the vertical height of the outlet port above the bottom of the kettle? Also, I see a heating element in the photo, what is the clearance under the lowest part of the element?
srung551

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heating element is approximately 2 3/8 off the bottom of the kettle , the dip tube measures approximately 7/8” of the bottom of the kettle hopefully that helps
ihomebrewsolutions

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hop Stopper only needs about 2" of clearance so it should slide under the heating element without a problem. I'm looking for the distance from the center of the bulkhead port to the bottom of the kettle (you can see instructions on how to measure this on the Hop Stopper order page. If the port is 7/8" off the bottom, you will be trimming your dip tube extremely short. It would probably be easier if I made a dip tube for you as long as we have the correct vertical dimension.

Is your dip tube permanently crimped to the ferrules in the compression fitting? If not, the tubes can be swapped out directly. If it is crimped to the ferrules, I can supply some replacement ferrules so that you could still swap out the dip tubes whenever you wanted.

E-mail me at HopStopper@TheElectricBrewery.com and we can discuss greater detail and pricing offline.

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, Scottish 70/-, English IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter, Saison

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

We now have a version of the Hop Stopper 2.0 available for SS Brewtech kettles (non-BME versions) where we include a dip tube for you. No need to modify your own or send it in.

For complete details see our order page: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hop-stopper

Kal

rivetcatcher

Drinking: Zombie Dust Clone

Working on: Electric Hop Candy Jr

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received and installed my new hop stopper 2.0, very easy to put in using the old dip tube from the 1st hop stopper. I gave it a test run using water and it worked fine..... today I will put it through its first brew day as I make Hop Candy Jr for the 2nd time.

Rivet

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and enjoy!

Kal

Master

Drinking: Liquid Schwartz Schwarzbier, Stinky Porter, Spiced Apple Cider

Working on: AbbyNormal Glutton Free Framboise Lambic, Ich Bin Ein Berliner Weisse, Pineapple Cider

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Do you have any pictures of the HopStopper 2.0 installed in a Keggle? I'm trying to make sure it's diptube will clear my element before ordering one.

Or if no pic, does it locate just like the picture for measuring depth on the ordering page?

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics - sorry!

Correct about the measuring.

Email HopStopper@TheElectricBrewery.com with your complete setup details and the manufacturer will be able to confirm for you. Cheers!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Master

Drinking: Liquid Schwartz Schwarzbier, Stinky Porter, Spiced Apple Cider

Working on: AbbyNormal Glutton Free Framboise Lambic, Ich Bin Ein Berliner Weisse, Pineapple Cider

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out and took my MLT diptube and it clears the element, so I went ahead and got the 5/8 diptube version. I have a big IPA up soon in the rotation so it'll get a good workout.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to fulfilling your order and hearing about how you like it! Thanks for the order!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: