Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy Jr. (New England Pale Ale)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This one will be my next beer.

I will be starting this just before I go to England to see the folks so will have a little difficulty meeting the dry hop schedule.

I will put this in the fermenter and leave for 2 weeks hence I won't be able to add the hops at high Krausen, not sure how much of a difference this will make if any. The plan will be to return after 2 weeks, at dry hop 1 for 6 days then dry hop 2 for 3 days.

Another issue I have will be the liquid yeast, I can't get it in Thailand so have decided on Saf-04.

Any comments / concerns about how this will affect the beer?

Thanks

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
I will be starting this just before I go to England to see the folks so will have a little difficulty meeting the dry hop schedule. I will put this in the fermenter and leave for 2 weeks hence I won't be able to add the hops at high Krausen, not sure how much of a difference this will make if any.

High Krausen's usually only 24 hours or so after pitching with this beer. I would just add the first dry hops when you pitch the yeast. Really the same thing.

Haven't used S-04 on this so I can't comment on that.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is if I add the dry hops then they will dry hop for just over 2 weeks.... that’s why I thought about doing it after fermentation rather than at the start.

I’m worried about getting grassy flavours in the beer.

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be concerned about that in this beer / with these hops.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the 2nd batch, I won’t be around to add them a few days after high Krausen, would you suggest adding all at the same time or wait until I get back to add the 2nd batch?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hops are added at two points with this beer: At the start (I recommend high krausen but at the same time as the yeast is fine) and then 3 days before packaging. So I would add the second round whenever you get back.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put this into Beersmith and it states that Im going to get 61 IBU, 32 of which come from the FWH addition. I know you mention not to worry about IBUs in this beer but does that sound about right to you? Sounds way to bitter for me considering your recipes guesses around 24 and I'm 'supposedly' getting 32 from the FWH which already puts me over.

Should I look at reducing the FWH?

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
I know you mention not to worry about IBUs in this beer but does that sound about right to you?

It doesn't matter if it sounds right or not. That's the whole reason why I recommend not worrying about it: It doesn't matter what the software says. I would ignore it.

Quote:
Sounds way to bitter for me considering your recipes guesses around 24 and I'm 'supposedly' getting 32 from the FWH which already puts me over. Should I look at reducing the FWH?

Completely up to you, but remember my recommendation: Please ignore the software. Often the number is meaningless. You're now wanting to change the recipe based on a possibly meaningless number. That doesn't make any sense. That's why I recommend ignoring it.

The recipe is exactly how most people (including myself) like it. Feel free to modify it in any way you like for your tastes, but please don't change it just because your software may not calculate IBUs in any meaningful manner for this sort of beer. That would be backwards (adjusting the recipe to meet arbitrary numbers in software instead of adjusting the recipe to meet the taste you want). I would brew it as is, and then adjust to taste for the next time if you want something different.

Good luck!

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Ok.... it'll get brewed as is but with Saf04. Will have the wYeast after my trip to Blighty but can't wait that long till brew day.

Cheers

Rivet
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, I have all the items I need to brew this. I am making a starter on Wednesday and I am going to brew this beer this Saturday! I have never brewed a "New England" anything yet, so I am excited to try out your recipe. Thanks again for posting and for the informative process on this style!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the brew John! This is currently my #1 repeat beer - everyone loves it!

Ka

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this beer on 7/29 and did the first dry hop the very next day. Due to vacations and work travel, the beer still sits in the fermenter downstairs. Planning to keg and dry hop the beer this weekend. Not that it changes much, but I was curious as to whether or not I've lost some of the character of this beer. Thoughts? I wanted to keg it one week after fermentation, but it was way too close to my trip to BWCA in MN and couldn't find the time.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a month you will most likely will have lost some of the 'freshness' inherent to bright/hoppy beers, but really only one way to find out how much - try it! Certainly won't be a 'bad' beer however. Enjoy!

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I brewed and tested this quite recently. There were a few changes I had to make due to going on holiday and lack of ingredients.

First of all I used saf04 yeast as I couldn’t get hold of the wyeast. I also did the first dry hop for 14 days at high Krausen because of a holiday. The rest was as per recipe.

I had never tried a NEIPA before and managed to get my first taste on holiday, I can’t remember its name but I was not impressed. It started giving me doubts about this beer. After returning from vacation I had a little test while I added the 2nd batch of dry hops... it was ok but to be honest I was already thinking I wouldn’t make it again... after 3 days it went in the keg and I force carbed it.

I tried again and as if by magic it tasted great. It poured extremely hazy and held had a good head. I compare the look of it to that of a glass of fresh orange when held up to the light. It has a very nice aroma and juicy taste. Despite the 14 day dry hop there were no grassy flavours.

The saf04 did a great job in my opinion and I would love to taste the difference between this and the wyeast. From what I’ve heard it’ll be even better. For those who can’t get wyeast then try saf04. I’m no NEIPA expert but from my experience it turns out a great beer. I would make it again.

Thanks for the recipe Kal.

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're enjoying the beer Rivet!

Kal

mikeypogue

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if I want to brew this next or stick with the regular Electric Hop Candy recipe. It was such a hit last time. One question, why did you double the amount of FWH in the Jr. version? Just curious.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeypogue wrote:
One question, why did you double the amount of FWH in the Jr. version? Just curious.

They’re different hops with different AA%.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, just tapped this beer yesterday (Sat) and I thought I would report back. This hands down is the best pale ale I have made yet! I can't get over the amount of juicy hop flavor and aroma. Love the hops with restrained bitterness! Everyone who has tried it can't get over just how good this is. This is a great style and I would definitely brew this over and over in my rotation. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe for an outstanding NEPA!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great John! Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting here drinking this at the moment, made with Saf04.... this beer is incredible.

Highly recommend trying it with Saf 04. its Drinking great after about 6 weeks in keg. Can’t wait to try this with the Wyeast, cos to be honest, what I’m tasting now, I’m not sure if it can get any better lol

Thanks again Kal
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: