Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

AC Unit to use for a glycol chiller

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: AC Unit to use for a glycol chiller Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone,

I have an AC that is electronic and when you turn it on, you need to click "Start" to get it running. Is there any way that I can get it to run when power is sent to it?

LG Model LW6015ER: https://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LW6015ER-window-air-conditioner

Thanks!
perogi.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "start" button is a momentary contact switch? If yes, you'll need to figure out how the circuit works and change it so that whatever it latches downstream is always on when power is on. This'll require some electronics experience and sleuthing/tracing. It's hard to be specific.

There are possibly ways to do it without any hacking required with products like CoolBot too - see: https://www.storeitcold.com/

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! I slept through most of my EEE courses in college so this will be interesting Wink
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/knock on wood

Looks like I was able to get one built. Running it right now. Only part that I haven't done anything with is the thermostat on the AC unit. My basement isn't cold enough to turn off the AC (set at 64)... yet. In the winter it gets down near 55-60. Do I just cut the wires and twist them together or ?

Thanks for any ideas!
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!

It was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Bending the copper was easy, just needed to go slow and easy and make sure you support the "radiator" looking part.

Had I found this post earlier, I would have done the exact same thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zc00kylve6aqve0/acglycolchiller.jpg?dl=0
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is this a glycol chiller for fermentation or a wort chiller ?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ozarks - for fermentation. I don't think it would work very well as a wort chiller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: