Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

slip lock on ball valves

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigh

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: slip lock on ball valves Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I ended up ordering my ball valves for the kettles over a couple orders, and some of the valves have those slip locks on the handle and some don't.

Not having the slip locks seems pretty convenient. Have you removed those slip locks, or do you just get used to them?

thanks,
Craig
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kettles came with them so when it came time to add my other valves I ordered ones with locking handles. They're there for safety and I don't mind having them. They only need to be lifted when opening the valve from a completely closed condition and doing this has become second nature (it's all done one handed without me thinking about it).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kal stated, they are on there for safety. Which you might think you don't need that because you are the one using the equipment but think about the chance of one getting bumped. Or a child playing with it. With that said I have removed one before and it can be done, just needs a screwdriver and a lot of force. I dremel works well too.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
craigh

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good. I will leave the locks on for the valves that have it. Figured it may become second nature.

thanks.
mafriedman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6 batches into my system and I have been removing the locks as I go along. I ended up with an extra valve so I removed the handle and pried off the lock and then swapped one on the kettle. I don't have children so I am not concerned about safety from that aspect. That being said, I am the idiot that can forget to pre-flight his system and start filling water with a valve open, about yanked the kettle off the stand when I heard the water hit the floor and tried to slam the valve closed with the lock engaged.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafriedman wrote:
I am 6 batches into my system and I have been removing the locks as I go along. I ended up with an extra valve so I removed the handle and pried off the lock and then swapped one on the kettle. I don't have children so I am not concerned about safety from that aspect. That being said, I am the idiot that can forget to pre-flight his system and start filling water with a valve open, about yanked the kettle off the stand when I heard the water hit the floor and tried to slam the valve closed with the lock engaged.

HAHA. We've all done that at least once!

View user's photo album (3 photos)
sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed a slide lock off an old valve I previously had but won't remove any from my current valves. My kettles sit at face level for my kids and I would hate to have them open one. The valves with locks are only on the outlet valves near the bottom. The rest of my valves higher up didn't have the locks when I received them.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used small plastic cable ties to hold the locking mechanism in the unlocked position. I do not have children to worry about and I found the locks annoying. The cable ties can be removed if I ever want to engage the locking feature again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: