Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Drilling holes in kettles

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Drilling holes in kettles Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all, it's finally time for me to start installing heating elements in my kettles, and I'm getting nervous about it, having never drilled through stainless steel before. I have the recommended punches and step bit, but I'm having a hard time thinking through the actual mechanics of drilling through the kettle. I know Kal recommends a drill press, but I can't visualize how a benchtop drill press could have enough vertical or horizontal clearance to stabilize a 20-gallon kettle. I don't have the space for a floor standing drill press. Am I overthinking this? Is this easier than I'm imagining?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's scary before the first time but it's easier than you think. Once done you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. Wink

See the hints here - no drill press required: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=6

(Use a hammer and nail to make a small dent, use the step bit to make a small messy hole, then use the punch to make the clean hole - it's dead simple!)

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay. I'd assumed that I saw a drill press in that photo. Thanks for the help!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! That was a hand drill with a step bit:

Quick and easy.

Kal

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The punches really do make it easy as long as you get the right size pilot hole in there. They turn out beautifully.

Just measure and measure again so you have enough clearance for your hole AND what you want to put through it!
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you talk your time and don't rush punching through the Stainless. It is much harder than standard iron metal.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just following up - I managed to put the necessary holes in my kettle and HLT. It took a lot of time and pressure. I ended up throwing together a cradle to hold the kettle on its side without moving so that I could put as much of my body weight on the drill as I could manage. That made things a lot faster and easier.

The punches are definitely critical - I used the step bit alone to drill mounting holes for my pumps in the shelf of an SS equipment stand, and even after filing them smooth they ended up irregularly sized and shaped. Okay in that case, but not for my shiny kettles! I was amazed at how easily they get through the steel after all that work to make the pilot hole.

Thanks everyone.
hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a machinest before drilling my holes and got some good advice. Slow steady speed with considerable pressure on the hand held drill and use coconut oil for lubricant. I started the holes with a new (sharp) 1/8 bit then went to the step bit. Worked extremely well with nice clean holes. What he said was higher speed drilling causes heat and hardens the stainless making it even harder to drill. I put coconut oil on the punches and think that made it easier as well.
Genuine

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was drilling my keggles about 5-6 years ago, it was a huge pain. I had to add an additional hole to my kettle and was worried the entire time. However using cutting fluid and pulsing the drill and step bit made all the difference. I think I was done drilling in less than 5 minutes.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can cool the cheap step bits down with ice water too
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being extremely nervous about punching holes my kettles ~10 years ago, but that was mostly because I was heading into uncharted territory here (nothing to do with the actual punching of the holes). The actual punching was dead simple I found and the punches worked like a hot knife through butter.

Following my directions here and it couldn't be easier: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=6

Cheers!

Kal

windquest

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey erock, welcome to the fold.

There are a couple of "tricks" in punching holes in any thin metal. I built all my amateur radio equipment....that requires a lot of holes! So....I made a wooden insert for my 20 gal kettle ...just a 2x4 curved on each end to fit. Make sure it fits well, why? Well trick #2 is to use a drill press if at all possible....and that means you can apply a lot of pressure. Use a high quality step drill and you can make the holes without a punch. And you can't tell the difference.....really. Use a punch if you can and make the pilot slightly bigger than the shank of the punch and use lots of oil. I have never had a problem. Hope you punching is a big success.

Henry
barney the bear

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "ordinary" drills instead of a step drill for making pilot holes. But they are made of an special alloy for stainless steel containing cobalt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: