Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Dry Hopping

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMartin

Drinking: Brown Shugga, Bridgeburner, Accidental Amber, Electric IPA

Working on: Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Dry Hopping Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal, I'm curious about the method you use for dry hopping.

Lynn
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing depends on the beer, but I always let my hops roam free (no baggies or holders) as I find I get better extraction. So I just drop them in. Where/when I dry hop depends on the beer. Quite often it's in the fermenting vessel near the end of fermentation. Sometimes it's in a second vessel (brite tank) after fermentation is done.

If I'm dry hopping after fermentation in a second vessel (not the fermenting vessel) I'll add the hops first and then purge the vessel with CO2.

There's no "one" way.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mtweeman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What temperatures do you keep during dry hopping? How long you leave them inside? I think there are benefits of lower temperatures (like 15*C) for dry hopping as well as keeping hops inside for like 3-4 days. After that it can get grassy. What are your experiences?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dry hop at room temp.

How long depends on the beer and the hop in question. There's no 'one' answer. Most of the time it's 3-5 days but sometimes longer. Sometimes I'll do multiple dry hops (up to 3-4) with short contact time. Check out my recipes for some ideas.

Is there a specific recipe or beer you’re curious about?

Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll add something extra:

Over the years recommended dry hop times have been coming down. It used to be common to read 7-10 days (and some of my early recipes from ~10 years ago may still say this) while today it’s more common to see 3-5 days. Not necessarily because 7-10 makes the beer grassy (I’ve never had this issue) but because shorter time (3 days) is all you need. Many of my single dry hop beers these days are done near the end of fermentation and then it’s straight to the keg. No finings at all.

I suggest experimenting and seeing what works best for you / what you prefer. I usually always do 10 gallon batches and with the wort split in two I can experiment and only change one variable at a time and see the results.

Cheers!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Cryo Hops a try! I've had some really amazing results with them.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: