Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Any Christmas beer recipes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Upgrayedd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Any Christmas beer recipes? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I love all of the recipes on this site because I know Kal has personally brewed them and can vouch for them but I noticed he is missing a Christmas beer recipe. It’s getting around that time of year to brew one so it’s ready by Christmas. Anyone have a good tried and true Christmas beer recipe?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get any from me I'm afraid as I'm not a fan of the style, but maybe someone else can chime in. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Christmas beer is Kals’s Imperial Stout as I love that beer and could actually drink it year round. However, I’m looking for another beer that could be ready with some aging for our Christmas Party. Any suggestions? Thought about a wheat wine, but not sure I have enough time to age if I brewed at the end of this month.
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes". There's several good Christmas ones in there. I have brewed many with good results.
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've brewed Gordon's Christmas Beer, Belgian Christmas Beer, Silent Night and Winter in Antwerp Beer. All were great tasting. My personal favorite is Silent Night (aged from several months to a year). He won Best of Show at the Ohio State Fair some time ago with a version of his Christmas Beer.
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Christmas beer recipes? Reply with quote

Upgrayedd wrote:
I love all of the recipes on this site because I know Kal has personally brewed them and can vouch for them but I noticed he is missing a Christmas beer recipe. It’s getting around that time of year to brew one so it’s ready by Christmas. Anyone have a good tried and true Christmas beer recipe?

Fermentables:
12.36lb American Pale 2-Row
1.24lb American Caramel/ Crystal 40L
1.24lb American Wheat
0.3125lb American Special Roast
0.0625lb American Roasted Barley
1lb Honey @ 15 minutes

Hops
1oz Mount Hood @60 minutes
1oz Mount Hood @ 15 minutes
1oz Cascade @11 minutes

Mash @ 154 for 90 minutes
Boil for 60 minutes

Spice Additions:
3 cinnamon Sticks @5 minutes
1oz ginger @5 minutes

Yeast
Wyeast London Ale 1028

Est OG 1.072
Est FG 1.017
Est ABV 7.31
IBU 30.47
SRM 11
Fermentor volume 6 gallons
assuming 70% efficiency
zimmekt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887, I can't help but notice you are from Akron. Is this an attempt at cloning Twelve Dogs of Christmas Ale or Great Lakes? If so, how does it compare?
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zimmekt wrote:
JMD887, I can't help but notice you are from Akron. Is this an attempt at cloning Twelve Dogs of Christmas Ale or Great Lakes? If so, how does it compare?

Good question- the fella I got it from states Great Lakes. However, He's been brewing it long enough that I think its an attempt at the original GLBC... Furthermore, I find it to be closer to Thirsty Dog. Either way its damn tasty.

Cheers Mug
zimmekt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
zimmekt wrote:

Good question- the fella I got it from states Great Lakes. However, He's been brewing it long enough that I think its an attempt at the original GLBC... Furthermore, I find it to be closer to Thirsty Dog. Either way its damn tasty.

Cheers Mug

Thanks for the recipe. I will have to give it a crack this weekend or next. Running out of time to be ready for Thanksgiving and the run up to Christmas. Time flies....
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zimmekt wrote:
Thanks for the recipe. I will have to give it a crack this weekend or next. Running out of time to be ready for Thanksgiving and the run up to Christmas. Time flies....

Not a problem. Let me know how it turns out and which one you think its more a like.
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zimmekt wrote:
JMD887 wrote:
zimmekt wrote:

Cheers Mug

Not to hijack.... Please let me know if you could use a helper during brew day. Mug
Upgrayedd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
My Christmas beer is Kals’s Imperial Stout as I love that beer and could actually drink it year round. However, I’m looking for another beer that could be ready with some aging for our Christmas Party. Any suggestions? Thought about a wheat wine, but not sure I have enough time to age if I brewed at the end of this month.

Brewed the RIS on here on 9/30/18 and just put it on tap. Tastes great already, hope it lasts long enough to see what it turns into with age. Should have made 10 gallons...
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like the RIS! I've made it a couple of times now (10 gallon batches) and it's surprising how drinkable it is when it's young.

I put mine on beer gas (70% Nitro / 30% CO2) - I just hook it up at serving pressure and then it takes 2-3 weeks to carb up properly, at which point it already tastes great.

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, is the beer gas pre-mixed in a cylinder from the gas supplier or do you mix in-line before the keg?

Thx
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy it pre-mixed.

In some places in the world they charge more for N2 than CO2 (my supplier doesn't as most of the cost is labour). So depending on the volume you serve you may want to get separate N2 and CO2 cylinders and mix yourself using a blender as it may be cheaper in the long run. This is really only advantageous for very high volumes like bars as the mixers are expensive (at least the good ones are) and the volume you have to serve to make this make sense is way more than anyone should be drinking at home. Wink

Example mixers:

https://www.micromatic.com/gas-equipment/nitrogen-generators-and-gas-blenders?affId=70238

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: