Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Direct Ventilation Through Exterior Wall

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebowski

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Direct Ventilation Through Exterior Wall Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but have slowly built my setup over the past few years. I've recently completed a 20'x16' "brew shed" and my current focus is on ventilation. The building doesn't have any interior walls and the brewery will be on the back wall. There is one 3'x6' sliding window on one of the side walls, the rest of the windows do not open.

I've researched ventilation before posting, but it seems this topic mostly involves basement setups. I'm wondering if anyone has built a ventilation system with no or very little ducting? I want to vent through the back wall of the building instead of the roof (I think it would look cleaner). It seems feasible but my biggest concern is fan placement. The roof is lean-to style, not gabled and the roof trusses are 16" tall. So the ceiling height is lowest at the back wall (still 8') but there is 16" inches between the ceiling and roof.

Supporting details.... I'm using Kal's 30a setup for 10 gal batches so thinking 350-400 scfm (but possibly less with minimal ducting?). Any guidance is appreciated!
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum Lebowski! Could you get us some photo's? I think that would be very helpful.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely! Post some photos so that we can see what you’re dealing with and we can figure out the best way to incorporate a fan. Cheers and welcome to the forum!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Biglakehomebrewer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about just going the steam condenser route? I've gone back and forth on building the vent hood and all that or going steam condenser route. There are pros and cons to each setup, but its another avenue to consider.
lebowski

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to research both methods and determine how I would implement each to see which is most feasible for my setup. The biggest negative I see for traditional ventilation in a small conditioned space is make-up air. On the other hand it appears the steam condenser uses quite a bit of water (and I'm seeing claims of insufficient boils, although I haven't gone down that hole yet). I do like the idea of one less hole in the wall though.

Here are some pics of the shed. The outside is finished and we are in the process of running electrical (as you can see from the trench). The plan is to place the brew table where the kegs are sitting in the second picture. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas!

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome brew shed! Not sure if it will work for your layout, but I had the same issue (not wanting to create more holes) and I opted to just go out my existing sliding window.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=313865#313865
Images at top of second page
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slightly different situation - especially wrt make-up air and temperature control (I live in San Diego, not Kentucky). My most pressing need was to deal with exhausting hot air and avoiding condensation. My brewery is in a long narrow room that was carved out of the end of the garage, but was kind of limiting with room for a hood and a sloping ceiling at the only end where I could run the exhaust. A couple pictures show inside and out views of what I did.

As you can see, I choose to only directly exhaust the BK. The fan is the same one as Kal recommends. This setup does a good job of pulling moist air out - I do not get any condensation in the "bowl" that serves as the hood. I do get a lot of water out of the fan - you can't see it, but I drilled a hole in the bottom of the fan housing and inserted a drain nipple with a hose that drains back into the sink. Also note the extra tape around the seam in the fan housing. I do get condensed moisture at the outside exhaust port.

The screen door serves as the primary air replacement port, but since it is pretty close to the fan exhaust hood I do get some amount of "suck back".

Hope this helps.

exhaust_outside.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.56 KB
 Viewed:  12714 Time(s)

exhaust_outside.JPG

exhaust_inside.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.03 KB
 Viewed:  12714 Time(s)

exhaust_inside.JPG

DFB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread but my current question... My kettles and hood (planning to order one from fastkitchen) are against an exterior wall in our basement. I'd like to just vent this directly outside but this would make for a run so short that I don't know if I could get the fan into the run. Anyone else already do this?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFB wrote:
Old thread but my current question... My kettles and hood (planning to order one from fastkitchen) are against an exterior wall in our basement. I'd like to just vent this directly outside but this would make for a run so short that I don't know if I could get the fan into the run. Anyone else already do this?

Not a problem. My kettles and hood are also against the exterior wall.

Put the vent hole in the ceiling of the hood (over the boil kettle is recommended) and then have a 90 degree elbow followed by the fan and a few feet of ductwork. If you have to run the fan/duct along the hood before turning 90 degrees and going out.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: