Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Trying to design a simple 2 vessel setup, limited knowledge

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vance

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Trying to design a simple 2 vessel setup, limited knowledge Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So - I know I've probably got some unrealistic ass expectations here, but bear with me for a minute.

I've been brewing in my backyard using BIAB with a propane burner for two years. I'm moving into a new apartment in a few weeks that has a laundry room with a 240V outlet just off the kitchen. I'm tired of taking the winter off from brewing due to weather/daylight/temperature, and I want to move my brewing indoors to my kitchen.

I'm envisioning a 2 vessel HERMS system - a combination HLT/boil kettle, and a mash tun. I'm planning on using my current 11 gallon kettle as the mash tun, and buying a new one for the other vessel.

The details of this though, are confusing me. I am... not very adept at DIY, to put it kindly, and I'm just overwhelmed by the world of PIDs and SSRs and wiring schematics and everything else. I'm stubborn and want to learn more about this, which is why I'm not taking the easier and cheaper way out and just buying a Grainfather. The point of this part is - I don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm having a hard time sorting through everything to understand it.

I've been looking at the EZBoil things, like this (https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=670). However, I'm kind of confused on what they actually do. Say I bought that, and an element - what would I have to do to actually use it? Just hook it up and set a temperature? I can't figure out if they come pre-wired, and it's just a "plug it in" deal, or if I'd have to figure out a wiring schematic and do it all myself.

To add on to this, I have a fairly limited budget - which lends itself to more DIY, which unfortunately I'm still lost in. I'm hoping to budget around $600 for this whole project, but could stretch a little bit if I really needed to.

So - I want a 2 vessel HERMS system, I know next to nothing about electrical setups (sadly, my engineering degree is precisely zero help here), and I have a limited budget. Am I SOL or can I make something work?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I would read through the build instructions on this website. It's a 3-vessel setup but there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't simplify to turn it into a 2-vessel. All the concepts you'd need to understand are in the instructions - many have taken our instructions and simplified to suite their needs

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can build a box for about $600 with all the cables and keep it table top and small for what you need, I can draw up the schematics but based on what you've said I wouldn't do it your self, I would find a friend or brew club buddy and do it together, 240v can kill a person if not wired right

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what sort of 2 Vessel system you, I modeled mine after a similiar concept as the BrewEasy -

I wanted a simpler system to brew on, simpler controller and I think this design is very cost effective. Uses one pump, the mash gravity drains to the kettle on the left, which contains the heating element...aka Kettle Rims. Also, when the mash returns to the kettle, it goes through a whirlpool arm to keep things moving and help with temp stratification.
vance

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
you can build a box for about $600 with all the cables and keep it table top and small for what you need, I can draw up the schematics but based on what you've said I wouldn't do it your self, I would find a friend or brew club buddy and do it together, 240v can kill a person if not wired right

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I know just enough about wiring to know that me trying to make a schematic and do the wiring myself is a disaster waiting to happen. I have at least one friend who brews and is much handier than me, so I'd likely recruit him into helping since he's building a similar system from scratch. At this point, though, I'm seriously considering just scrapping any sort of DIY electronics and buying a prebuilt controller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: