Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Vinyl Plank Flooring for Brewery?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Vinyl Plank Flooring for Brewery? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all, I'm new here but have been drooling over this site for ages. I'm finally starting the process of converting a bedroom in my finished basement to a brewery! I'm thinking about flooring. I'd just assumed tile as the default, but I recently heard of vinyl plank flooring, of which there are apparently "waterproof" varieties. My understanding is that the plank itself is waterproof, but it's unclear to me whether liquid could seep between planks and hang around underneath, causing problems with mold. Does anyone here have experience with this type of flooring? The benefit would be that we could use it for the whole basement and not need to change the flooring in this room if we decided to move.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have any experience with that sort of flooring but hopefully someone can chime in. There may be different types and/or grades so probably best you talk to an installer. If it's planks, I agree that water seeping in will always be an issue. Even grout (technically) used on a tile floor isn't 100% waterproof. For example, if you tile a shower, you need something *behind* that tile the provide that waterproofing. Often that would be something like Schulter Kerdi membrane: https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Shower-System/Waterproofing/c/SS-W

Now it really depends too on how much you intend to spill on the floor on purpose / how you intend to use your brewery. If you want washdown conditions to be possible (take a hose to the floor with a floor drain) you need to build as if your brewery is like a shower.

Myself I don't do that. I build as if it's a kitchen. So I used tile with grout, directly on plywood only. There may be an occasional spill (like a kitchen) but I'm not leaving gallons of water on there to soak in or hosing things down.

Some people even have hardwood in their kitchen because, again, it's ok for how they want to use their kitchen: Only occasional (accidental) spills.

I would talk to whomever you'll be buying the flooring from and explain your intent. They'll be able to tell you how to properly install and whether it's meant for your intended purpose.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! I guess the big question is whether it's much worse than tile. I'm not planning to soak the room, but there's always a chance of a major spill, and I just don't want to end up with a moldy mess. I plan to keep a wet/dry vac on hand.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used vinyl plank flooring so I'm not sure. I would imagine it depends on the manufacturer/quality/how it's installed. There may be different types (just like tile).

I suggest talking to whomever you want to buy the flooring from, or talk to whomever you will use to do the installation. They should be able to help and steer you in the right direction.

Cheers!

Kal

Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coworker of mine has put this flooring in all through his house. I am not sure as to which brand it is, but he told me that it is water proof, even at the seams, and it is nearly indestructible.
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it in two of my bathrooms and have not had an issue. It came highly recommended from several family members who have used it instead of title and neither of us have had any issue. I'll see if I cant dig out the specks on the brand I used.
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I went to a flooring store yesterday and got a similar response from the salesman there. He said that most spills can easily be mopped up without an issue. In the case of a huge spill that was left to soak in, you just pull up the affected planks, dry everything out, and pop them back in. I'm pretty much sold at this point, and I'll be talking to my contractor about it soon. Still, if you have any specific recommendations or personal experience I'd love to hear about it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erock2112 wrote:
In the case of a huge spill that was left to soak in, you just pull up the affected planks, dry everything out, and pop them back in.

How's that possible? the planks have tabs on them and are installed from one end of the room to the other. I Googled around a bit and from what I can tell, if you only want to remove one you have to destroy it to remove it and then you cut the tabs off the replacement and glue it in permanently. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhNqgHCJFOs

I would imagine therefore if you wanted to remove only some of them and put them back you'd have to always work from the last installed end and work backwards until you got to the area you want to remove. You can't just pop up a few as they lock in place with the next one (if they didn't have tabs, they'd move up and down).

Similar to how hardwood flooring works except that's usually brad nailed down too.

Kal

erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
erock2112 wrote:
In the case of a huge spill that was left to soak in, you just pull up the affected planks, dry everything out, and pop them back in.

How's that possible? the planks have tabs on them and are installed from one end of the room to the other. I Googled around a bit and from what I can tell, if you only want to remove one you have to destroy it to remove it and then you cut the tabs off the replacement and glue it in permanently. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhNqgHCJFOs

Err... excellent point. So I guess that'd be pulling up most of the room, not a few planks.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think so, but I'm not really sure... I doubt you'd ever have to do that however. Moral of the story: Be careful of sales guys ... some will tell you anything to get you to buy something. Wink

Kal

erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm hoping not, but just want to plan for the possibility. We were up front about not being ready to take home any flooring, so I'd like to think that they'd be more honest with a lack of sales pressure, but you never know.
RichmonS

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth my basement is underway and in my brewery I plan on using epoxy garage coating. My issue is spills and non slip.
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the epoxy floors look nice when they are first done, but they don't wear very well. I have it in two of the rooms that I have at work and it is coming up where the floors get wet occasionally. Several people that I know have it in their garages, and they say the same thing is happening, especially if it gets a tiny scratch in it. That scratch will allow moisture under the epoxy and then it will come up.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the whole room is the brewery and it’s in the basement I would put a floor drain in it and just use concrete, it will polish and is easier to clean

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with sheet vinyl flooring. Since it is glued and one complete sheet spills are not a concern of mine. There a ton of pattern options so finding one you like should not be an issue. One caveat is the flooring reveals all floor contours (imperfections). If I were to do it over again I would have sighted the floor in the dark with a flashlight at floor level and used floor leveler to fix the few "hills and valleys" I have in the floor. You can't really see them but I sure feel them when I walk over them. Funny, I didn't feel them when the floor was uncovered.
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed both styles of vinyl plank flooring in my house.

The "click" style that Kal shared the link on is as stated - there is no way in hell you can easily change one piece or lift pieces out of the middle. I also don't believe it fits so tightly that it is really waterproof.
So while I agree with the floor guy, a bit of water on occasion probably isn't a problem, but if you had some type of flooding event you'd need a way to ventilate under the floor to dry out leakage.

There is another style ( I used Armstrong FastTak ) that I put in my laundry room/utility room that actually uses a type of adhesive glue on the tabs. The tabs are completely flat and do not employ any type of "click" interlock.
I believe that floor is most likely 100% waterproof based on the way the adhesive is sealing the entire tab area.
However, the way the tabs interlock, I'm not sure replacing one single plank would be a fun task.
I do believe it would be much more probable to replace one of these planks versus the "click" style, but can't imagine that you'd retain any type of waterproofing on the replaced plank.

All that said - and if I could - OMB has the best suggestion.
If I ever build another brew area - there will be at least one floor drain right in the middle of a bare concrete floor.
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichmonS wrote:
For what it's worth my basement is underway and in my brewery I plan on using epoxy garage coating. My issue is spills and non slip.

I went this way in my brewery. Unfortunately I also added the "non-slip" ingredient - huge mistake IMHO. Between the "grittiness" of that and the "coloring flecks" it is impossible to do any kind of dry mopping on the floor. I'm also afraid to use any kind of vacuum cleaner head on it for fear of then ruining it.

If I had the opportunity to do it again I'd go with some kind of sheet vinyl, which I what I originally wanted and was talked out of by my contractor. I'd have to re-do all of the floor moulding and door trim to go that way now.
pinbrew

Drinking: Amber Ale

Working on: Electric Hop Candy Jr., Toy Soldier Stout, Crispy Pils

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Armstrong Luxe plank flooring with their "Rigid Core" snap-tech, and I'm mostly happy with the results given where I was putting my brewery. I converted an out-building, which was previously a woodworking shop I'd never use. It's wood construction with wood floors, and pouring any kind of cement wasn't really an option.

The important thing to note about these floors is that when they say they're waterproof, what they mean is that the planks themselves won't be affected by moisture. If you have a subfloor underneath and you have a flood, you're likely going to be pulling everything up to the let the subfloor dry. For brewing day-to-day and wet/dry-mopping, it's not an issue provided that your floor slopes to the middle (or, at least, not to an outside edge). Where you can run into problems is places like the 1/2" exposure on the edges and the wall and, as with any floor, it's really important to make sure you mitigate pooling and draining away from where you typically collect runoff (whether by a floor drain or mopping).

The Luxe product was a bit of a PITA to install, but it's snap-together edges do provide a good seal for spills and mopping. I'm happy with the product, and the price point for it was pretty great. That said, if I was in a basement it'd be the bare concrete or a nice tile if I was putting in a thermal break.

If your brewery is on a wood subfloor (e.g. not in the basement or any other place with a slab), the plank stuff is decent, but you need to make sure you slope it, ideally have a floor drain, and mop as you go to keep it as dry as possible after spills.
Victim

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am familiar with the luxury vinyl tile. I have it in my basement and my wife works for a very large flooring company.

A perquisite of my wife working for that company is that we got free flooring installed in a bunch of rooms in exchange for allowing the company to film installation instruction videos.

Here's one of the videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfgYK3AZPd8&feature=plcp

Those are "actors" in the video, not me or my wife.

The LVT has been fine. I've had some major spills on it with no issue. Of course it is in the basement, over slab, and I have a dehumidifier that runs constantly. My only regret is that I wish I had enough time to self-;level the floor before installation. the LVT can separate at seams a tiny bit over time if on non-level surface.

Yeah, it's impossible to replace tiles without working backward from the room edges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: