Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Czech Premium Pale Lager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Enjoy the beer! Let us know how it turns out!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there so much of a difference in the water profile compared to a basic lager. Isn't a lager a lager?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! A lager simply means that a lager yeast was used. It doesn’t describe the taste. One of the characteristic traits of a bo pils is the incredibly soft water that is used (water with very little minerals in it) and how it affects the taste. From the recipe:

Quote:
Softer water (low in minerals) is required to brew a true Bohemian Pilsner. While hard water accentuates up-front hop-bitterness, soft water suppresses it. Because of the soft water, the bitterness is rounded, not rough, in spite of the relatively high hop loading. If your water is high in minerals, try cutting it with reverse osmosis (or distilled) water to reach the target numbers outlined in the recipe below. 50% reverse osmosis (or distilled) water reduces the mineral counts by half.

Try brewing it twice to see the diffence it makes to the taste: once with the recommended water profile, then again with the profile from my German Pils recipe.

For more info on water profiles and how they affect the beer, see my WATER ADJUSTMENT article: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

Cheers!

Kal

rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to choose between this and the German Pils recipe, which would you go for? I’m struggling to choose. I will be using dried Fermentis yeast as I can’t get anything else here.

Thanks

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
If you were to choose between this and the German Pils recipe, which would you go for? I’m struggling to choose.

I wouldn't make one over the other based on what others prefer as what someone else prefers isn't necessarily what you'd prefer.

Really depends what you're after. I'd read the descriptions and decide which better meets your needs. See: https://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style02.php

Then compare 2A (German Pils) with 2B (Bohemian Pils).

Happy brewing!

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will go for the Bohemian Pilsner and use Safw34/70. How many packs of yeast do you think I should use?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
I think I will go for the Bohemian Pilsner and use Safw34/70. How many packs of yeast do you think I should use?

I'd use at least 48-60g Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 dry lager yeast per 12 gallons, and chill to pitch temp before pitching. Ferment at 50-52F.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the directions for Saf w34/70 and it states 52 to 54.... will it be ok at 50?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy brewing! Let us know how it turns out.

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this around 2 weeks ago and it is almost ready to go in the keg. I had to let this cool naturally as my immersion chiller hose fitting was screwed and I couldn't get out to get a new one. It took around 3 days to get to pitching temp. I used Saf w-34/70 dry yeast and fermented at 50f. Measured the gravity after 1 week and it was down to 1.012.... that was a shock, didn't expect it to ferment so fast at those temps. Immediately ramped up the temp to 65f on Sunday and then back down to 37f on Tuesday evening. Took another reading and it is down to around 1.009 - 1.010. It was lucky that I checked the gravity when I did or I could've missed the diacetyl rest. I was expecting fermentation to last around 2 weeks.

Anyway, I took a sample from the fermenter and it is tasting fantastic. No off flavors, no buttery diacetyl and I think its going to end up great. I will keg tomorrow and add the gelatin to the keg.

This is my first Pilsner and so far Im really happy with the results. Lets see how the lagering effects it but to be honest I could easily drink it now.

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's worked out!

I'm also glad to hear that the 3 days of slow chill didn't cause any issues!

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive experimented a lot with cooling / not cooling in the past and in all honesty have never noticed any difference at all.... to the point that I almost believe its a brewing myth in most cases. Clarity etc has never been affected.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aussie brewers would agree with that ... they pretty much patented the "no chill" method. My main concern would be something else taking hold of the wort and starting to ferment it. You'd have to make sure to keep it somewhat sealed up, but then as it cools it shrinks so air gets sucked in unless you have something fancy to prevent atmosphere from entering...

Kal

rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I’d have to say I agree with the Aussies. I normally put the lid on the fermenter loosely to prevent any insects etc getting in and then put the airlock on. Air sucks in through the loose lid and doesn’t pull airlock water in. It doesn’t matter if air gets pulled in during the cooling stage as the yeast is still to be pitched and the wort will be aerated anyway.

I’ve never had an infection when I’ve done it this way and as mentioned I haven’t noticed any difference taste wise of clarity wise. For me the main benefit of chilling the wort is that I can pitch the yeast right away after the boil.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
It doesn’t matter if air gets pulled in during the cooling stage as the yeast is still to be pitched and the wort will be aerated anyway.

I'd have to disagree with that, to a point. Aerating for 2 minutes and then pitching yeast immediately is one thing. Allowing wort to be in contact with atmosphere for 2-3 days and then pitching yeast is another.

When air is pulled in it's a mix of all the regular stuff like Nitrogen, Oxygen, and other gases, but it also contains natural occurring microorganisms. Microorganism that want to eat that wort and turn it into something we don't want.

Fermentation is only a race. We don't brew in sterile environments. It's all about who goes big first. That means we want to pitch large amounts of yeast (the microorganism we want as it turns our wort into beer) before other airborn microorganisms we don't want can take hold and turn that wort into something we don't want.

So the sooner you pitch your yeast once you get into the temperature range that these microorganisms thrive in, the better. The risk is lower.

That doesn't mean you can't go 2-3 days to chill and still make good beer. It just means it's safer to always minimize the time where wort sits being in contact to atmosphere that is full is unwanted microorganisms.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
rivetcatcher

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with what you say. However, in all of the times I’ve chilled overnight I have never had an infection. Normally it is an overnight chill but because I needed the wort temp to be lower for the pils it took longer.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do a no chill but I have Aussie friends that do and one makes a very clear blond I'll ask his process if needed but I do chill to high 70's sometimes and I ferment at 60 or below so I leave it in the chamber to cool that extra 10 or so degrees over night, its always worked

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this a couple of months back and finally got to drink it. I have to say that this recipe is fantastic. I’m more of an ale drinker but this one just hits the spot. Everyone who has came to try this absolutely loves it... and I agree with them. This will be a regular for me.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there was no wort chiller to cool this so it sat overnight until it came to temperature. There are no off flavours and it is crystal clear.

Give it a go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: