Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Wort/Water Pump power cord too Short

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Wort/Water Pump power cord too Short Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

The pump power cords are too short and wont make it to the control panel. Before committing to cutting the standard end off I thought I would ask if I purchased additional SJOOW Copper Electrical Cord - 18/3 cord and removed the standard end off and extended the cord with the newly purchased cord soldering each wire and using shrink wrap on each then wrapped the whole cord in braided sleeve if this would cause any issues??

an alternate solution would be to construct an electrical box with 2 outlets then have each outlet wired to the control panel.

thank you

Jason
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - should be fine if done properly.

Some people will use a NEMA 5-15R (receptacle) to L5-15P (locking plug) adapter or cord like this: http://amzn.to/2B8z4sC

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting off the end of my March pump cord is one of my few regrets I had in the build. The standard cord length just barely reaches my panel but doesn’t offer much flexibility for moving around the pumps during cleaning without unplugging. I wish I had done what you are considering... just kept the pump intact (warranty included) and use an extension cord to go to the panel. What Kal linked is a terrific option and I wish I had gone that route. Best of luck in the build. Cheers!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in time. I was considering taking the factory cord off my pumps and rewiring them. The linked 1' extension cords above look like a nice fit.
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same as Creepy with one of my Chugger pumps before I had the revelation to use an extension cord - which I did for my second pump. MUCH better way to go than to cut the pump cord.
BrewCrew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies .... I will using an extension similar to the one linked above.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that if you're dangling the cord vertically then the locking connection on the control panel is kind of useless since the unlocking 5-15 receptacle/plug will have the issue that the locking plug/receptacle was used to solve: Gravity possibly pulling the plug out over time.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always wrap a piece of electrical tape around the connection, but I don't think you will need to. I used a standard outdoor extension cord and mine plug into a standard 120v outlet (vertically). Never had an issue with them getting pulled out by gravity.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought these, you can get different lengths too
http://amzn.to/2l3BbHO

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Keep in mind that if you're dangling the cord vertically then the locking connection on the control panel is kind of useless since the unlocking 5-15 receptacle/plug will have the issue that the locking plug/receptacle was used to solve: Gravity possibly pulling the plug out over time.

KOVOT Extension Cord Safety Cover Protectors 2 Pack, Black: Great Protection Against Rain & Snow (2) http://amzn.to/2BXE141

Pick up this guy and it could solve the gravity disconnect concern as well as any potential water concerns...

(Kal feel free to Kal-ify the link...) Done! Thanks for your support!

Cheers!
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built my own cables and it was a pretty quick project. Each cable is 2' in length.

$7.45
25' Techflex braided sleeve
https://amzn.to/2H2NAAO

$1.18 per foot
4' 12/3 wire
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-12-3-Black-SJOOW-Power-Cord-By-the-Foot/50148240

$8.76 each
2x Nema L-15-5 plugs
https://amzn.to/2siyZwC

$12.97 each
2x Nema 5-15 connectors
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-15-Amp-125-Volt-Black-White-3-Wire-Grounding-Connector/3739265

Total was $55.63 for both and I already had the heat shrink laying around.

I think I linked the Amazon sites through you Kal. Feel free to edit as necessary.

Extension1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.35 KB
 Viewed:  12705 Time(s)

Extension1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: