Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Troubleshooting 50amp power/control panel issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevine579

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting 50amp power/control panel issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Wonder if someone could help me out here. We had a breaker trip and our control panel is now able to be on when the breaker is thrown back on but the on/off switch is off. Pumps also work when the power switch is in the off position. Voltage shows 000 when the switch is off. I replaced the power switch with no luck. I replaced the safe/start interlock and plugged it into the existing receptacle with no luck either so I put the existing one back. Also, replaced the HLT PID controller because it was not controlling the heating elements and turning off when the temp was reached. When I replaced that with a new PID it still did not control the heating elements via the PID. Any suggestions on what to replace or troubleshoot next?

Thanks,
Kevin
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Some extra information for context as Kevin and I have already been back and for a few times on this:

- This is a pre-assembled 50A Control Panel for 30+ gallons
- Purchased in 2014

Your info here provides some new details Kevin, including:

- The fact that the issue started after a breaker tripped. Is this a breaker in the control panel? If yes, which one? Or a breaker elsewhere (like in the electrical panel that feeds the control panel)? What size is the breaker?

- You mention the pumps work with the panel POWER switch in the off position. That means that the 120V HOT line is for whatever reason always being powered. I would suspect that one of the contacts in the POWER IN contactor is stuck in the closed position (always on). Since the voltmeter is showing 000 when the unit is off this would also help confirm this as that means the voltmeter's getting power through the main HOT line but the secondary HOT line is off.

If you like we can sell you a replacement POWER IN contactor. Contact us at kal@TheElectricBrewery.com

Quote:
Also, replaced the HLT PID controller because it was not controlling the heating elements and turning off when the temp was reached. When I replaced that with a new PID it still did not control the heating elements via the PID. Any suggestions on what to replace or troubleshoot next?

This is likely unrelated to the above, but hard to say given the other issues as possibly the HLT SSR is stuck "on" too (unlikely however as double failures are near impossible). This is easy to test however. See our troubleshooting guide:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460

Specifically the section "My heating element is not firing at all! (or firing continuously)". It's either incorrect PID settings, incorrectly using the PID, or a defective part.

Cheers,

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another follow up Kevin, I noticed that back on May 17 you had mentioned you'd get some photos of the inside of the control panel for us. Have you had a chance to take these photos? Thanks!

Kal

kevine579

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
Thanks for all of your help in the past. Can you send me a link to the correct power in Contactor and I will purchase it? I will check on the other items you mentioned as well and get back to you.

Thanks,

Kevin
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

We'll need pictures of the inside of your panel first to know what was used. I imagine it's DIN rail. I can't provide a link but we can certainly sell you one. Email me your shipping address to kal@TheElectricBrewery.com and we'll send you an invoice once we confirm with pictures first.

Cheers,

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: