Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy (New England IPA / NEIPA)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
not sure how I didn't see that lol my eyes are bad this year time for a doctor visit lol

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed this exact recipe on Monday. As I was finishing cleaning on Tuesday I got the email about the new Hop Stopper. Wish I had that for this one. Blowoff was going crazy. Can’t wait to try it. My only concern is I have to travel next week and I’m concerned about it staying in the primary too long. I can either transfer it after 7 days or wait till 11 days.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 days is fine if it's not done fermenting. The last thing you want to do is transfer before it's done fermenting. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ampsman

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up turning out delicious. But I noticed it really started clearing up after about a week in the keg. How do you keep the haze?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ampsman wrote:
Ended up turning out delicious. But I noticed it really started clearing up after about a week in the keg. How do you keep the haze?

You mentioned using a different yeast from that in the recipe. Using different ingredients, process, or equipment can give different results.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the beer!

Kal

ampsman

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did the same thing the first time I did it using 1318. I dryhop at high krausen, no cold crash. Could it be something to do with me doing BIAB? It looks perfect initially but then clears up after a week or so.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be! It’s really hard to know. The science behind these beers isn’t 100% understood. That, coupled with the fact that the equipment/process used is different it’s unfortunately very difficult to offer suggestions as to why your beers are clearing faster than normal. Sorry!

That said, all beer will clear given enough time, but I find my NEIPAs stay hazy for months - similar to my witbiers and weizens. (They don’t last that long however) Wink

Kal

mikeypogue

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had my first taste. Man if this isn’t my favorite one I’ve brewed. I got a little too much hop in my keg that clogged the pick up tube. Had to waste a little to get it clean of hops. Other than that it is great.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeypogue wrote:
Just had my first taste. Man if this isn’t my favorite one I’ve brewed.

Glad you like it!

mikeypogue wrote:
I got a little too much hop in my keg that clogged the pick up tube. Had to waste a little to get it clean of hops. Other than that it is great.

After a few days of settling out, and after a pint or two those hops will pass. Then it's smooth sailing!

Kal

thatflookguy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping someone can help, I would like to brew this in 25L but uncertain how to downscale for this profile? Anyone able to help?

Cheers, Lee
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee!

Enter the recipe into your favourite brewing software and use the sizing tool that is built into your brewing software (they all have scaling tools). It'll upscale or downscale for you automatically. Cheers!

Kal

themoose

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Having trouble getting Galaxy. Good alternative? Reply with quote

I'm having trouble getting Galaxy and I'm looking for an alternative. I'm leaning towards Amarillo but I'm open to ideas.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble getting Galaxy. Good alternative? Reply with quote

themoose wrote:
I'm having trouble getting Galaxy and I'm looking for an alternative. I'm leaning towards Amarillo but I'm open to ideas.

Amarillo's not a bad choice. It pairs well with Citra and Mosaic and is what I use in the "Jr" version of
Electric Hop Candy: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31050

That said, Galaxy's definitely in stock and available. Examples:

https://amzn.to/2wyqv6Y
https://www.homebrewing.org/Galaxy-Australia-Hop-Pellets-1-oz_p_2975.html?AffId=95
http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/galaxy-hop-pellets/brewing-supplies?a=ebrew
https://www.morebeer.com/products/galaxy-hops-pellets.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Kal

tomjhogwash

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

First time poster here, but I'm wondering if you can explain how you calculated the amount of yeast needed. I'm looking at doing a 6 gal batch and the 1318 is quite expensive for the amount needed - 3 packets. I may have to look at doing a starter.

Thanks,
Tom.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomjhogwash wrote:
Hi Kal,

First time poster here, but I'm wondering if you can explain how you calculated the amount of yeast needed. I'm looking at doing a 6 gal batch and the 1318 is quite expensive for the amount needed - 3 packets. I may have to look at doing a starter.

Thanks,
Tom.

Welcome to the forum Tom! For calculating the amount of yeast starts, see my "HOW-TO: Making a yeast starter" article here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30668

It covers the math around cell counts.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this recipe and the effort that's gone into it. This looks amazing and I can't wait to give it a go.

Sorry if I am asking a question already answered in this thread, but I am looking at trying to scale this recipe to a 1BBL size and noticed that it's quite an expensive bill of ingredients! Am I missing something? From what I can see, I've calculated it on the attached photo.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
Thank you so much for this recipe and the effort that's gone into it. This looks amazing and I can't wait to give it a go.

Sorry if I am asking a question already answered in this thread, but I am looking at trying to scale this recipe to a 1BBL size and noticed that it's quite an expensive bill of ingredients! Am I missing something? From what I can see, I've calculated it on the attached photo.

Hi!

You can certainly scale to any size you like. All brewing software allows for scaling. Plug in your numbers and scale to anything you like.

I'm not sure what to say about cost. Beer with high hop amounts will cost you more than those with less hops. That much is true.

Unfortunately your image is broken so I can't see it.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, re-attached here!

Screenshot 2018-10-27 14.56.00.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.88 KB
 Viewed:  15690 Time(s)

Screenshot 2018-10-27 14.56.00.png

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your math is off.

1 bbl is 31 gallons.

My recipes here are for 12 gallons, so you would need 31/12 or 2.6 times the amounts for most of the ingredients. If your mash efficiency is different, then your grain amounts would be slight different. You can plug my recipe into whatever brewing calculator you use and then scale it up from 12 to 31 at whatever mash efficiency you get.

For hops it would indeed be 2.6 times as much. My 12 gallon recipe calls for:

1 oz Warrior
8 oz Citra
8 oz Galaxy
8 oz Mosaic

So for a 31 gallons you need 2.6 times as much which is:

2.6 oz Warrior
20.8 oz Citra
20.8 oz Galaxy
20.8 oz Mosaic

You list considerably more than that.

Your grain amounts are also off. For example, my recipe calls for 7.6 lbs of domestic 2-row. 2.6x as much would be 19.76 lbs, not 45.6 lbs.

To me it looks like you want to make between 2-3 bbl.

For yeast, you need to make a starter. Don't buy 36 packs of yeast. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30668

Good luck!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/slaps head

I think I was looking at the screen for too long. I’ve made some pretty big mistakes in my initial estimations, thank you for pointing this out. I was basing on a 5gal recipe batch size for some reason, and see how that screwed up quite a bit! I am aware of the yeast assumption I made and was only doing it as an example of scale. But otherwise, thank you very much for pointing out a few things I overlooked. Let me try this again...

Thanks!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12
Jump to: