Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Best 240v/30a GFCI Option?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny240v

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Best 240v/30a GFCI Option? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
First post here, but let me thank Kai and the rest of the forum here for posting up invaluable information that helped me build my 5500w system. It has been up and running (GFCI protected) for more than a year now.

BUT, I'm moving and will need to rethink how I'm going to GFCI protect my system. The circuit that I will likely brew on at my new place is a 50a circuit (and for various reasons I would like to keep it 50a), so simply putting in a GFCI breaker is not the answer, because I should also add 30a breaker in the system--that is what my system is wired for. What are my options?

Spa subpanel? Hard to find a 30a panel (all seem to be 50a), but an option. Is there a good compact model that people are using?

Inline GFCI breaker cord? I wish I could find the cord Kai writes about in the How-To page, alas those are not longer available. Are there other in-line options that are reasonably priced?

Thanks!
Johnny240v
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 240v/30a GFCI Option? Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Johnny240v wrote:
The circuit that I will likely brew on at my new place is a 50a circuit (and for various reasons I would like to keep it 50a), so simply putting in a GFCI breaker is not the answer, because I should also add 30a breaker in the system--that is what my system is wired for.

I'm not understanding what you're saying here.

Why can't you install a 50A GFCI breaker?
What do you mean by "I should also add 30a breaker in the system"?
What do you mean by "that is what my system is wired for".

What amperage does your control panel pull? If it's 30A, why not just install a 30A GFI breaker?

Quote:
Inline GFCI breaker cord? I wish I could find the cord Kai writes about in the How-To page, alas those are not longer available. Are there other in-line options that are reasonably priced?

You don't want that cord as it's not to NEC requirements to protect human life.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Johnny240v

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 240v/30a GFCI Option? Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Been lurking for awhile. Credit to your work that this is the first time I felt I needed to ask a question.

kal wrote:

Why can't you install a 50A GFCI breaker?
What do you mean by "I should also add 30a breaker in the system"?
What do you mean by "that is what my system is wired for".

Kal

My cables and control box are all wired with 10g. It's my understanding 10g is only rated to 30 amps, so theoretically it could be a fire hazard if the breaker does not pop until 50amps. Could also damage the equipment. I guess that is kind of a corner case--a short pulling more than 30a but less than 50a.

kal wrote:

What amperage does your control panel pull? If it's 30A, why not just install a 30A GFI breaker?

Kal

It's a basic 5500w / 23a panel (plus pumps). It uses a neutral, which limits the GFCI options a bit. I'd like to keep the circuit 50a for other purposes also--it's in my garage. But maybe a 50a GFCI is the solution. A portable solution would be kind of nice, but a new breaker would be the cheapest drop in solution. You think I'm safe running 10g wire with a 50a breaker?

Best,
Johnny240v
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 240v/30a GFCI Option? Reply with quote

Johnny240v wrote:
My cables and control box are all wired with 10g. It's my understanding 10g is only rated to 30 amps, so theoretically it could be a fire hazard if the breaker does not pop until 50amps. Could also damage the equipment. I guess that is kind of a corner case--a short pulling more than 30a but less than 50a.

True, but consider that a table lamp with 18-20 ga cord that can only carry 7-10 amps is wired into a 15A outlet. Same issue. but we plug lamps into outlets all the time.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Johnny240v

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 240v/30a GFCI Option? Reply with quote

I did some more research on the 30a system on a 50a GFCI and it sounds like it would work. I was reading that HVAC systems commonly use breakers well above what the expected load is, and above what the conductors are rated for--I guess for the startup surge of the electric motors.

That just leaves me with decision as to whether I install the GFCI breaker myself, or get an electrician to do it. I had a pretty detailed discussion with the guy that put the breaker into my old house, so I'm leaning towards doing it myself. His main concern--other than having the power off when working on the panel--was making sure you pick the right neutral to connect to the GFCI breaker, and that there was amble length on the neutral to connect to the breaker. Since the neutral might have been trimmed to only reach the neutral bar.

Best, J240v
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: