Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

50A Control Panel 30+ gallons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
themoose wrote:
Thanks Kal, long time lurker, first time poster. Cool

I saw that Blichmann sells a plug for their kettles so I'm assuming plugging the hole I'll need to punch in the HLT and the Mash/Lauter Tun will be easy once I add the extensions and reconfigure.

FYI, I'm only aware of one hole plug that they sell, and that's to plug the Brewmometer.

That said, I'm not sure why you would have to plug any holes once you add the extensions. Unless I really don't get how the extensions work, you wouldn't have to change any components in your existing kettles.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten is correct. The only hole plug they sell that I'm aware of is for their analog thermometer, for those that do not want to use one.
Blichmann doesn't know what sorts of aftermarket holes you may make in their kettles (i.e. what size), so they can't sell you plugs for them.

I see what you're getting at however, as if you have 55 gallon kettles now and want to build the setup, you'd need holes near the top of the MLT and HLT for the return. Once you add the extensions down the road to double the size, you'd want to move those returns to the top of the extension and plug the existing holes. I suppose you could simply use some sort of 1/2" NPT hole plug on the inside/outside (replacing the hose/elbow/ball valves) and leave the nipple/couplers in place and just cap them. Like these:

http://amzn.to/2pYomvT
http://amzn.to/2rjEL1J

That would work fine. Or simply leave everything in place and simply close the ball valves when you have the extensions installed. This would let you brew smaller batches. Not sure how easy it is to install/remove the extensions however. Not sure if they're more meant for a one time install and never removed again. That would be something to ask Blichmann. Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
themoose

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extensions are easy to put on and take off with Bilchmann's tool (according to Blichmann). I like the idea of just leaving everything in place and just making sure everything is closed when the extensions were added. More flexibility that way. I was also thinking that the height of the kettles does really affect wort creation as much as the Circumference of the kettle and since the extensions do not increase the circumference it shouldn't matter much other than some increased heat loss. Thanks for the feedback.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Hose for larger pumps for nanobrewery Reply with quote

I saw some earlier posts on the upgraded pumps and I have a question about the choice to use the 1" to 1/2" connector. Wouldn't you want to increase the diameter of the hose running to the pump? Maybe go with a 1" to a 3/4" connector? The way I read it, you'd have cavitation issues since that 1" opening would be starved of liquid. In the pumps we use at work, the hose going into the pump always has to be bigger than the hose coming out or terrible noises start and expensive bills follow.

Or am I not understanding something with the plans?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regular pumps I use and recommend have a 3/4" input and 1/2" output, and the hoses are all 1/2". No issues. The larger inlet allows for better flooding of the pump head which helps reduce or eliminate priming issues. Same idea with the larger pump.

Kal

Jacked

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: 50amp setup with one pump Reply with quote

I started my build of a 50amp panel. I got a panel that was started by someone else. The holes in the bottom were cut for the standard 30amp setup. I have a tippy dump system and only require one pump. I am trying to punch additional holes for a 50amp panel 30+ gallon set-up. Does anyone have any pics or drawings I could use for a plug layout?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 50amp setup with one pump Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Jacked wrote:
I started my build of a 50amp panel. I got a panel that was started by someone else. The holes in the bottom were cut for the standard 30amp setup. I have a tippy dump system and only require one pump. I am trying to punch additional holes for a 50amp panel 30+ gallon set-up. Does anyone have any pics or drawings I could use for a plug layout?

I don't see how's that possible I'm afraid

You're trying to go from this:

To this:

If the holes are already cut for a 30A panel, there's not enough room to fit in everything you want to fit.

Kal

Jacked

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only be using one pump not two as seen above in the 30amp picture. I there a way to punch out one of the two pump hole and add another and still be able to wire it up?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to measure and see if it'll fit. It's not something I've tried. Keep in mind that you also need another hole for the 4th element and that the 50A power in receptacle will also be larger than a 30 amp receptacle. As mentioned in the build instructions keep in mind too that different receptacle manufacturers require different sized holes and may have different bezel sizes too. So there's no way for something to confirm this for you. You need to take the receptacles you plan on using and measure as you're not using one of our kits (where we have control over everything).

Good luck!

Kal

AwakenedBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having issues connecting both 6 awg red wires into the HLT contactor as shown in the wiring diagram and picture. Any suggestions?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwakenedBrewer wrote:
Having issues connecting both 6 awg red wires into the HLT contactor as shown in the wiring diagram and picture. Any suggestions?

I looked up your email and didn't see that you having ordered one of our control panel kits so I'm assuming you've supplied your own parts? Can you post some pictures or more info on the exact parts you're using? That would make it easier to help!

Kal

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

AwakenedBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://goo.gl/photos/cFbmiecgDc9nj4mx8

I ordered the 50 amp DIY kit recently. All parts from here. I must have used my other email to register. Too many of them guess.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwakenedBrewer wrote:

I ordered the 50 amp DIY kit recently. All parts from here. I must have used my other email to register. Too many of them guess.

Thanks for the pic! I've forwarded to our manufacturer and they'll be posting some hints/tips as they are more experience with the exact contactor type used and built many units. Stay tuned! Cheers!

Kal

Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwakenedBrewer wrote:

Awakened Brewer-

In the past we had an older style contactor that would allow you to remove the copper quick disconnect portion very easily and would provide enough space to fit two 6 gauge wires. Upon inspecting these new contactors, these plates are not removable as they are integral to the contact block itself.

I had not noticed this issue as I no longer build 50A panels with these contactors, only the 30A and B2B ones where there is no need for two 6 gauge wires in one slot.

I would recommend a power distribution block to help split up the power. I can send you one as it really should be included in the kits. I will also include these in the 30+ gallon kits from now on.

I'll send over an email to you using your email address.

Thanks,
Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same issue as Awakened Brewer with the doubled up 6 gauge wire going into the HLT relay. Do you have a part number for the power distribution block so that I can get one? Not quite sure what to be looking for. Don't laugh, I bought the DIY kit over a year ago. Started the build and stopped for over 9 months due to home renovations. Finally getting back to finishing and I ran into this problem.

Thanks for any help.

Kyle
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kyle,

Email me at kal@TheElectricBrewery.com and we can set you up!

Kal

Fatheadale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having an issue with blowing fuses and burning the 30A 2 pole fuse holders for the element outlets. I bought and built the DIY 50a 1bbl system a little over 2 years ago. I use it atleast once a month. 3 of the 4 fuse holders have burn marks on them and no longer function. I ordered replacement parts from ththe links provided but they are twice the size of the old ones. Any advice on how to prevent and fix the burning of parts? How to make the new size fit or where I can get the old ones?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatheadale wrote:
I am having an issue with blowing fuses and burning the 30A 2 pole fuse holders for the element outlets. I bought and built the DIY 50a 1bbl system a little over 2 years ago. I use it atleast once a month. 3 of the 4 fuse holders have burn marks on them and no longer function. I ordered replacement parts from ththe links provided but they are twice the size of the old ones. Any advice on how to prevent and fix the burning of parts? How to make the new size fit or where I can get the old ones?

Email us at sales@TheElectricBrewery.com with your order details/address and we can assist with getting you some smaller fuse holders with better connections that will fit in the same area as your old ones. The larger fuse holders will work too of course, but you may find them difficult to fit.

EDIT: Email received, reply sent! Sorry for the troubles!

Kal

kwilson16

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: 50A panel from 30A pre-cut Reply with quote

Hi Kal,
I completed one of your pre-cut 30A panels and it works great. I would like to upgrade to the 50A. Is it possible with the pre-cut panel?
Thanks,
Kevin

[/img]

30A_panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.68 KB
 Viewed:  28280 Time(s)

30A_panel.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 50A panel from 30A pre-cut Reply with quote

kwilson16 wrote:
I completed one of your pre-cut 30A panels and it works great. I would like to upgrade to the 50A. Is it possible with the pre-cut panel?

I'm assuming you're interested in going from a 30A panel to a 50A panel for 30+ gallons.
Doing so using the existing enclosure is not obvious as you have nowhere to put the extra two heating element receptacles. The power in receptacle may also be larger, so a larger hole is required. So a new enclosure would be required.

All of the high powered items inside would have to be replaced.

The items on the door would be fine.

I would recommend purchasing a new enclosure and moving the items over including new high powered items. We can sell you these items if you like. We'll be launching a new site to purchase parts like this 'ad-hoc' in (hopefully) a few weeks.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: