Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Troubleshooting Power On Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will319

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Power On Issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just completed a panel build and I am running into a problem once I hit the power on switch. Once I turn the switch you hear the clunk of the power in relay, however nothing on the panel lights up and none of the receptacles work.

If I turn a pump on prior to turning the power on switch there is no clunk, as if the interlock is working preventing it from happening. I have a multimeter, but have never used it. Based on what I am describing, I wanted to see if anyone could offer any suggestions to where I should focus on verifying my connections.

Thank you for your help.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

If the POWER IN relay is closing when you turn it on (but not when a PUMP or ELEMENT SELECT switch is on), then the safe start interlock sounds like it's working. I would use your multimeter set to AC volts (240V or higher) to measure the output side of the POWER IN relay and see what you get. Should be 240V. Then work your way forwards to things like the HOT and NEUTRAL bus and ensure you measure what you expect. For example, between the HOT and NEUTRAL bus you should measure 120V AC. If you do, but the BLUE power light isn't turning on, figure out why it's not getting 120V. Maybe you forgot a wire?

The troubleshooting guide may be of help too: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Will319

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, as always thank you for the quick replies. I finally went through and tested the panel last night. I picked it up used awhile back and am now putting everything together. It looks like the last owner removed the wire that holds the fuse and connects the shunt to the hot terminal strip. Everything tested fine for the most part, but I lacked power on that strip. I'll fix that this weekend.

One thing I found that the Boil SSR reads 112 on one screw while the other side reads 124. The other SSR reads 124 on both screws. Do you think I need to replace this part as well?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will319 wrote:
One thing I found that the Boil SSR reads 112 on one screw while the other side reads 124. The other SSR reads 124 on both screws. Do you think I need to replace this part as well?

Likely not. There's leakage current on SSRs so they can/will behave differently depending on what's on the load end. Try running them and see what happens. Good luck!

Kal

Will319

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it fixed and everything worked! Thanks for the help Kal.

I do have one additional question though. I used 14ga THHN with a #6 spade on one end at the shunt and the opposite end used to a wire nut to connect it to the fuse holder wire and just added a #6 spade to the opposite end of the fuse holder wire to tie it to connect it to the terminal strip.

Do you have any suggestions for connecting the THHN to the stranded fuse holder wire? I just twisted it and used a wire nut and wrapped it in tape for the time being. If I go this route is there a specific wire nut size I should use or is there a better method that should be used.

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soldering with some heatshrink tubing would be preferred.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: