Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

European 3-phase setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HopSteady

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have disregarded that thought and decided to wire it all with 3-phase 30A industrial plugs Smile.

Regarding the elements - yes ideally I use 3-phase SSD's and 3-phase heating elements as this distributes the load on the electrical panel evenly and so minimises currents - the wiring is not very difficult. The issue with the 3-phase elements is that they have the large 1.5" thread diameter and I want to use those 2" tri-clamp adapters (in order to make the heating elements removable) which only work with 1" thread diameters commonly found on single phase elements. Still looking around for a 3 phase element with a 1" thread.

If I did not have this constraint then it would be a no-brainer and I would go for 3-phase elements.

So the plan right now is to use phase 1 for a single phase element, phase 2 for a second single phase element, and then phase 3 for the pumps and rest of the panel.

P.s. not all european 3-phase connections are 230v star/wye with 400v between phases. Here in Belgium I am still on the older system of 3-phase 230v without a neutral (delta).
barney the bear

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HopSteady wrote:

P.s. not all european 3-phase connections are 230v star/wye with 400v between phases. Here in Belgium I am still on the older system of 3-phase 230v without a neutral (delta).

I think "wye" and "delta" strictly speaking describes how elements etc. are wired not how the power is distributed to the consumers.

If you think of great amount of odd beer styles you can find only in Belgium and not anywhere else it is no surprise that Belgium has the same odd distributionsystem for electric power as Norway and Albania. Laughing
andrzejk2

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my diagram to power heaters (BK or HLT).
Voltage Ua=Ub=Uc=230V (Y-connection), current pro phase ca. 25A, power for Camco heater 5500W (total 16500W).

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrzejk2 wrote:
current pro phase ca. 25A, power for Camco heater 5500W (total 16500W).

Do you really have 3-phase outlets in homes (house or apartment) with 25A per phase i Poland? My biggest circuitbreakers (I live in an apartment in Sweden) is 16A for each phase (for the stove in the kitchen that runs on 400V). The main circuitbreaker for the apartment is also 3x16A.
andrzejk2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have in my house 3-phase outlets with 25A per phase. Exactly in the boiler room, where my home brewery is located. Very Happy

Visible control panel is only on one phase. Now I will be constructing a 3-phase one for my new herms.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a CEE 230/400V 32A outlet (with a plug inserted) you are pointing at? This is rated max. 32A per phase. The alternatives could be a 16A or a 63A.
andrzejk2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrected photo below.

Here is my experimental wiring diagram.

This can just leave or convert to 50A back to back setup. Then naturally you need at input 50A for the phase.

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrzejk2 wrote:

This can just leave or convert to 50A back to back setup. Then naturally you need at input 50A for the phase.

andrzejk2,
Could we get some more photo's of your brewery? I would like to see inside your BK and HLT.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
andrzejk2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BK and HLT are the same from the inside as the kal's ones.

https://web.facebook.com/piwolab/photos/pcb.1567498606842550/1567498503509227/?type=3&theater

For now I only plan to build a three-phase herms.

Last edited by andrzejk2 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I was confused. I thought you were using three elements in your BK and HLT.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
andrzejk2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan 3 heater for kettle. Kettles ca. 65 gallon each.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrzejk2 wrote:

? I cannot figure out what you mean with this.

Well, in Europe we got 3-phase 230/400V and that give us enough power without fat wires and 50A back to back setups.

In your example you can wire your elements in the HLT delta (3x400V) instead of wye (3x230V) . No changes in the controlbox or thicker wires are needed. But you cannot use three elements which are 25A / 230V. They will be 43A /400V. Maximum with 32A circuitbreakers and delta-wiring is 3x18,5A/230V-elements when wye-wired. You don´t have to worry about the higher watt density because you are only heating water in the HLT.

An interesting alternative to the Auber SYL-2352 PID for mash and HLT - especially when using HERMS - is Auber SWA-2451 (I have got that). It is a PID with a built-in timer. It can be used integrated with the temp-control or separated in various ways. For example you can set a time and temperature - so the timer begins to count down (or up) when the set temperature is reached and the alarm buzzes when the set time is reached. It is easier to use than a PID with ramp/soak-function.

A better alternative than the SYL-2352 for the boiler is in my opinion Auber EZBoil (DSPR120). It can handle the power for boiling process in a more intelligent and automated way than a PID. It also have a mashing function that can be used for hop rests in a boiler. You can use the same SSR.
andrzejk2

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barney the bear wrote:
andrzejk2 wrote:

? I cannot figure out what you mean with this.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25793
One batch brewed immediately after another. All 6 heaters switched at the same time.

barney the bear wrote:

Well, in Europe we got 3-phase 230/400V and that give us enough power without fat wires and 50A back to back setups.

In your example you can wire your elements in the HLT delta (3x400V) instead of wye (3x230V) . No changes in the controlbox or thicker wires are needed. But you cannot use three elements which are 25A / 230V. They will be 43A /400V. Maximum with 32A circuitbreakers and delta-wiring is 3x18,5A/230V-elements when wye-wired. You don´t have to worry about the higher watt density because you are only heating water in the HLT.

I have only 25A protection pro phase and 6 element camco 5500W for only 230V, not 400V. In fact, for hlt I could maybe buy a new heater and I could use 3x400V.

barney the bear wrote:

An interesting alternative to the Auber SYL-2352 PID for mash and HLT - especially when using HERMS - is Auber SWA-2451 (I have got that). It is a PID with a built-in timer. It can be used integrated with the temp-control or separated in various ways. For example you can set a time and temperature - so the timer begins to count down (or up) when the set temperature is reached and the alarm buzzes when the set time is reached. It is easier to use than a PID with ramp/soak-function.

A better alternative than the SYL-2352 for the boiler is in my opinion Auber EZBoil (DSPR120). It can handle the power for boiling process in a more intelligent and automated way than a PID. It also have a mashing function that can be used for hop rests in a boiler. You can use the same SSR.

This diagram is only for demonstration.
My new timer is Sestos B3S-2R-220 and my new pid's are Sestos D1S-VR-220.

My question is not whether the diagram can be improved (pid's), but whether the diagram is generally correct?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrzejk2 wrote:

This diagram is only for demonstration.
My new timer is Sestos B3S-2R-220 and my new pid's are Sestos D1S-VR-220.

My question is not whether the diagram can be improved (pid's), but whether the diagram is generally correct?

It looks correct to me
andrzejk2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new 3-phase control panel.

https://www.facebook.com/piwolab/videos/2069244103334662/

https://www.facebook.com/piwolab/photos/pcb.2069242956668110/2069242530001486/?type=3&theater

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job andrzejk2!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: