Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Switching PID into Manual Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rskarbo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Switching PID into Manual Mode Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I’ve brewed about 30 times on my system and have recently run into a problem. I’m no longer able to get any of my PIDs into Manual mode. I’ve re-read the Brew Day step by step procedure and all the pertinent posts I could find. When I press the Set button the PID shows “A 100”. Pressing and holding the Set button puts the PID into programming mode. However, when I press the A/M button nothing happens. The temperature probes are in place and I’ve tried it with the element on and off. Is it possible I've somehow disabled the A/M button? Thanks in advance for any assistance with this. Ron
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get any of the PIDs into manual, that seems odd, though normally we lock out manual mode on everything but the BOIL PID since manual isn't required on the others.

So I'm assuming it's really only the BOIL PID that's the issue.

Check out how to change this here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup
It's the "A-M" setting. You can try changing this setting on the MLT or HLT PID just to see if it's a PID issue with the button not working.

Check out the troubleshooting tips here too: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460

Specifically this text:

"If the BOIL PID is programmed with the correct settings it will work in both AUTOMATIC and MANUAL modes (see here for an explanation of the two modes). Press the "A/M" button until the "A-M" light is on, meaning that the PID is in MANUAL mode. You should see the lower green SV number display as "M XXX" where XXX is a number. If the "M" is not displayed press the SET button to switch the display mode. Press the UP/DOWN buttons on the Boil Element PID until the lower green SV number reads "M 100". This will tell the BOIL SSR to run 100% of the time. "

The part in bold trips some people up, so I added it there and to the STEP BY STEP guide too.

Let us know how it goes!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rskarbo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, how do you find time to not only reply to personal emails (thanks) but also monitor and respond to Forum questions so quickly? OK... at some point in the past few weeks it seems there's been a gremlin in my brewery who switched the A-M setting on my boil kettle PID to 2. It's back to zero now and of course I'm once again able to switch to manual mode. Thank you.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a time machine! Wink

Glad it was a simple fix.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal is the man! He is ALWAYS all over it!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John!

For what it's worth, I think good support is critical. That's why we always support our customers and answer all emails, no matter how long ago they purchased from us. Recently I've had some people emailing that other places selling (electric) brewing products stop replying to emails after the warranty runs out. I find that disturbing. The whole world seems to be going towards crap support.

I had a bit of a rant about it last Friday: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhg0E0UB3Y1/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timely support you offer to your customers and customer service and how you stand by your products, was clearly evident to me though this website. I (and all of us) can see how you always answer a question and if there was any issue with a part or connection you always answered the post right away telling the person to email you or Mike and the problem got resolved very quickly. Seeing this aleviated any fears of ordering your products and is one of the reasons I ordered a control panel from you. I can't thank you enough for this and it builds customer confidence. I saw your rant post and I have seen that box offered for sale and it was not in working condition. That is awesome that you figured it out and now after a $20.00 part it works again! Keep up the good work Kal!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcav wrote:
Seeing this aleviated any fears of ordering your products and is one of the reasons I ordered a control panel from you. I can't thank you enough for this and it builds customer confidence.

Ordering from us is definitely an appreciated way of thanking us John. In my case I can’t thank *you* enough for that! Wink (seriously!)

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: