Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

New Pump (changed to RipTide)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: New Pump (changed to RipTide) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
One of my biggest areas of frustration with my setup was regulating the flow of liquid when sparging. Seems like I could never get it spot on between the two pumps. I recently purchased a RipTide pump. Used it for the first time yesterday. Highly recommend it!!. It allowed me to fine tone the flow much better than a standard ball valve. I currently use it for my water pump but I'm thinking about replacing my Wort pump too.

Here are some quick bullet points of things I see as wins:

1. The valve is awesome! Especially for fine dialing in (pun intended) the correct flow.
2. The pump is much quieter than my Chugger pumps I've used in the past.
3. The housing is water resistant.
4. The cord is long enough to now run to my control panel without using an extension cord.
5. The head is removable with a tri-clamp. Easy to take apart and clean after every brew if you wanted to.
6. Better flow rating than my Chugger.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased an autosparge and it fixed my fly sparg babysitting, it works very well I have a camlock for it and I attach it only when fly sparging, it will not work for recirculating the mash

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about going that direction but didn't want to add another piece to the brew day. I'll have to play around with the the pump more but at first impression I'm very happy.
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a spacer between the handle stop and the valve stop to set the opening of the valve the same on each one. I use the same make valves on the boil kettle and on the malt kettle, if you used different valves this might not work. The thickness of the spacer I use is .160". This gives me a flow rate of about one gallon every ten minutes. Or about 90 minutes to reach my eight or nine gallon pre boil quantity. I usually make five gallon batches.

I open the valve full open, insert the spacer between the valve handle stop and the valve stop and then close the valve, this leaves it partway open. You can change the spacer thickness to adjust the flow to whatever you want.

I also had trouble with little pieces of grain getting into the small opening of the valve and plugging it up. Now I use a filter between the malt kettle and the boil kettle when I sparge.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same pumps and I will be testing them out tomorrow for my first brew day in 5 years.
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

701pilot wrote:
I use a spacer between the handle stop and the valve stop to set the opening of the valve the same on each one. I use the same make valves on the boil kettle and on the malt kettle, if you used different valves this might not work. The thickness of the spacer I use is .160". This gives me a flow rate of about one gallon every ten minutes. Or about 90 minutes to reach my eight or nine gallon pre boil quantity. I usually make five gallon batches.

I open the valve full open, insert the spacer between the valve handle stop and the valve stop and then close the valve, this leaves it partway open. You can change the spacer thickness to adjust the flow to whatever you want.

I also had trouble with little pieces of grain getting into the small opening of the valve and plugging it up. Now I use a filter between the malt kettle and the boil kettle when I sparge.

Any chance we could get a photo next time your brew? I'm not sure I follow you all the way. I'm not sure if you are talking about the valves on the pumps or the kettles themselves.

With my experience, the output of my two Chugger pumps didn't exactly have the same pressure/flow (slightly different). I would make a sharpie mark on the wort pump valve on how far to open it up. The water pump valve I would have to adjust because opening it the same amount didn't create the same flow. It would be more or less never the same. I don't know if this is because the viscosity of the wort is different than water alone or if each pump just has a slight variance. I assume the second is more likely.

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
I got the same pumps and I will be testing them out tomorrow for my first brew day in 5 years.

Nice! Please post back (good or bad) feedback on the pump. I'm curious of other peoples experiences with this pump.

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new RipTide pump is definitely quieter than a new March/Chugger, but anyone with a noisy March or Chugger should make sure their thrust washers if they're finding them noisier / more rattly than usual as they do wear out over time. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326459

They slowly wear out over time so it's normal that they need replacing. (The RipTide pump is no different).

Many brewers do not know they exist.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
A new RipTide pump is definitely quieter than a new March/Chugger, but anyone with a noisy March or Chugger should make sure their thrust washers if they're finding them noisier / more rattly than usual as they do wear out over time. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326459

They slowly wear out over time so it's normal that they need replacing. (The RipTide pump is no different).

Many brewers do not know they exist.

Kal

I need to check my Chugger Wort pump for this washer. I don't remember seeing the thrush washer, but not sure I was looking for it. Thanks for the advice. I did notice it on the RipTide.

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed today - Love Love Love Love Love Love this pump!! So much easier to tweak to hit that sweet spot. First time I've felt like I could leave the room without the pump going dry.

ymmv.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: