Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Purging the bright tank with CO2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamcisman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal, how do you purge the bright tank with CO2?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a gas hose hooked up to my CO2 tank.

I have a couple of these manifolds with shutoffs outside my keezer.

3 of the 4 lines go into the keezer and are then split off various ways with crosses like this to feed gas to the kegs.

So on the manifolds all of the shutoffs feeding in the keezer are left open of course to carb up the kegs and push beer. The fourth manifold shutoff has a piece of ~6 foot gas hose attached.

When I need to purge something the line is dropped into the vessel/keg to reach the bottom, and the shutoff is turned on until you can smell CO2 billowing out the top. Don't be stingy! Let it fill, and then some. Then make sure to close/seal it immediately before moving. CO2 is heavier than air (think of how oil and water separate, just not quite as well) but you should still be careful not to disturb it, not do this in windy area, and so forth. With a keg when it's windy it may be best to fill right from the liquid QD (so that it reaches the bottom) with the lid on but pressure relief valve open until it's full.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my Keezer I wanted to have the ability to run different pressures so I linked over to another regulator to use as a secondary
works good but I am pretty much running the same pressure right now but I had intended in using this for force carbing a Corny in the Keezer.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkdjim wrote:
in my Keezer I wanted to have the ability to run different pressures so I linked over to another regulator to use as a secondary
works good but I am pretty much running the same pressure right now but I had intended in using this for force carbing a Corny in the Keezer.

Yup. I use something similar to have 2 different pressures. That's why I have two manifolds.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also split this into a separate topic as it not related to brewing a Kolsch.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: