Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating a fermentation chamber
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
mjo2125 wrote:
I was thinking of using a BrewPi Spark controller for temp control.

https://www.brewpi.com/

For heating, has anyone ever used the lasko personal heater?

http://amzn.to/2Cd2q75

thanks.

I use a brewpi connected to an upright freezer, works wonderfully. I was using the bulb in a paint can for about a year without issue but I noticed it getting dangerously hot - at least too hot for my liking. Switched to the Lasko personal heater based on feedback from other brewers using it - mounted to the door on a security camera mount and I feel much more comfortable with it. Casing stays cool to the touch (unlike the can).

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - would you happen to have any wiring schematics of how you hacked the fridge?
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjo2125 wrote:
thanks - would you happen to have any wiring schematics of how you hacked the fridge?

I wouldn't say I "hacked" the fridge as much as I just drilled 3 holes that voided the warranty. Wink. Where those holes can be will vary from freezer to freezer. I know where NOT to drill or cut on this Frigidaire model.

Holes were one each for the temp probes, and one for the heater's cord - all 3 of which hook to the brewpi (along with the freezer plug) on the outside of the freezer itself. I didn't mess with the freezer's actual thermostat.

Here's some photos...

That's a fermenter full of Kal's American Amber Ale plunking away currently.

This is the Lasko Heater mounted on a security camera mount ($10 on Amazon)

BrewPi:

BrewPi Innards:

Hope that helps.
// b

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never needed heat the yeast is my heat, the more heat you add the more your cooling, and it just stays on and on, my chamber only kicks on once or twice a day with no heat

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Not "needed" Reply with quote

I agree heat is not a necessity, its a luxury. You can absolutely just use your chamber to keep the yeast heat in check. I just like the absolute control and I like to make stuff. It is nice to be able to ramp and hold temps for a diacetyl rest, increase temps to explore the flavors yeast can bring at different temps - for example in say a quad - I have a recipe that while I bump the temp up 3 degrees a day for a week, it is like adding ingredients.

I'm also a huge fan of the brewpi over your typical temp controller - it lets you hold temps within .01 degree of your set point. I just took a look and over the last 24 hours it has held temp at 67 and kicked the heat on once and the freezer 4x, all for under 5 min at a time. It is more active as it regulates the temp at the start of fermentation, then when it settles (like now) its pretty quiet. Added perk - it also records the history of your temps over time so it is repeatable.

So necessary? - nope.
Awesome? - yep.

Cheers! Mug
// brian

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I always like seeing what other people are doing. Gives me some ideas. Most of the time my wife thinks I'm up to no good but I like to always have a project.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Always seem to have a backlog of projects. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: