Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Boil kettle not shutting off 50a B2B System

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clusteredmind

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Boil kettle not shutting off 50a B2B System Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello, first post here but I cant seem to figure this issue out. I have a 50a handmade back to back system, built from materials I sourced just bought the book, no kit. Anyways my hlt works fine cuts on and off as it should, but our boil kettle is not shutting off at the set temp. It continues to heat up until its boiling. I replaced the ssr with a auber one and even replaced the pid. Now, keep on mind i am not using the auber pids. All my pids are mypin ta4. Im also a little confused as i think we possibly should be doing something diferently with the boil kettle as we cant set duty cycle on my pid so i possibly should have a different one but initally everything worked fine for a few batches My kettles are 30 gallon and were boiling a start of 18.4 gallons and having no scorching that i can tell . We brew half bbl batches. So i end up having to switch my cables around when i go to boil each time.

Thanks,
Brian

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Take a look at our troubleshooting guide to see if it offers any assistance: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460
Especially the section "My heating element is not firing at all! (or firing continuously) "

CHeers,

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a stuck ssr
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
sounds like a stuck ssr

He mentioned already replacing the SSR so odds of 2 bad ones is pretty low.

@Clusteredmind:

Another thing to keep in mind is that normally the Boil PID and HLT PID are set up to behave differently:

Boil PID: Can be run in auto mode (where you set the temp) and manual mode (where you set the duty cycle or 'on' time) to control how vigorous the boil is

HLT PID: Can be run in auto mode (where you set the temp)

Re-reading your first post, some things confuse me with your comments:

"our boil kettle is not shutting off at the set temp": What are you doing exactly? What temperature are you setting the boil kettle to? Normally the boil is not set to a specific temp unless that's what you truly want (I do this when I first start to boil: I set the PID to 208F which is right below boil and turn on the alarm. The temp climbs to 208F and holds, sounds the alarm, I then switch to manual mode and continue while watching/stirring to avoid boilovers). Most people would not do this however, and just run the boil PID in manual mode at 100% until you get to boil, then turn down to maintain the boil. Temperature is not used.

"we possibly should be doing something diferently with the boil kettle as we cant set duty cycle on my pid": Are you sure the PIDs you are using support duty cycle? MAybe they only support auto mode?

Cheers!

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some ta4's that have the manual mode, I would really suggest you get an auber easy boil, that should solve the problem

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think any of my pids have manual mode just auto. We set it about 212 and that does well. Main reason were setting temp on the boil kettle is i have both it and the hlt filled, as when we mash in. the volume is below the coil in the hlt so i transfer from the boil to the hlt to cover the herms coil back up. It used to shut off is whats throwing me a curve especially after replacing ssr and pid. Boil is not overly aggresive or anything with minimum of 15.5 gallons is lowest were ever boiling, so not sure how that factors into if we need a pid to set duty cycle. We keep water going in the hlt to clean the system out when done also when boiling so i use both kettles consistently.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you used different parts, I would still Take a look at our troubleshooting guide to see if it offers any assistance: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460
Especially the section "My heating element is not firing at all! (or firing continuously) "

It will help lead you in the right direction to figure out if it’s the PID, SSR, how the PID is set up , or how you’re using it.

Good luck!

Kal

PS. If your HLT is too small such that after transferring strike water to the MLT the HLT water level is not above the HERMS coil, simply fill the HLT and MLT separately and heat that way through normal HERMS recirc. No need to transfer any water at all or heat in the boil kettle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: