Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How well does a conical dump the yeast from the bottom valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: How well does a conical dump the yeast from the bottom valve Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Using a 14 gallon conical for the first time. Want to dump the yeast as primary fermentation is finished. Place clean and sanitized 2L flask under the bottom valve and slowly open the valve. Thick yeast comes out. I keep the valve open until I'm seeing mostly beer. Guessing I've dumped all the yeast.

However...

Using the SS brew buckets for fermenting I've noticed quite a bit of yeast, etc clings to the sides of the cone. In a 14 conical I'm unable to see to the cone especially with a brown ale inside.

Does anyone know if the most of the yeast in a conical is dumped using the bottom valve or if, similar to the brew buckets, quite a bit still remains clinging to the sides of the cone?

Thanks.
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 14 gallon SSbrewtech conical. I usually only get about 1 - 1.5 liters of yeast and trub. More on dry hopped or very hoppy beers. I think the steep angle compacts it more, so it seems like less.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How well does a conical dump the yeast from the bottom v Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Does anyone know if the most of the yeast in a conical is dumped using the bottom valve or if, similar to the brew buckets, quite a bit still remains clinging to the sides of the cone?

Depends on the conical. Some will have cone walls that are more vertical than others. Some will have cones walls that are more polished than others. I would say all conicals will have cone walls more vertical than the brew bucket.

A brew bucket doesn't have very vertical cone walls because it's not meant for dumping (because you can't - there's no dump port, only a sampling port that sits higher with a racking tube on the inside that lets you sample above the trub/yeast):

Link: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Brew-Bucket-Stainless-Steel-Fermenter

While most conicals have cone walls that are a lot more angled because it's meant for dumping (using one from the same company to keep the comparison somewhat relevant):

Link: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Conical-Fermenter

So you can't really compare the two. What happens in a brew bucket won't be the same as what happens in a conical because the usage is purposely different.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I had my brew in the SS Brew Bucket and I had did a 2nd pitch of yeast starter in it and then dry hopped 3oz of Citra Hops when I went to pull a sample to check the SG I got a couple of Hydrometer flasks of yeast and trub, but on the previous batch where I didn't have a OG of 1.064 and all that yeast/hops I got very little if any. So yes Kal is correct they are totally different than a conical.
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7 gallon stout conical(or that is what I was told it was). When I drop the yeast/trub out, the majority of it will come out, but there is still quite a bit stuck to the cone walls.
iBrewBeer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SS 1/2 bbl conical. Yeast dumps from the conical are easy so long as you have the proper hardware to collect what you want.

To Kal's point, it is cone shaped thus allowing gravity to do its work.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my ball valve to a butterfly valve. I was getting a stuck clump of yeast with the hole being so small on the 3/4" ball valve. No issues with the butterfly valve.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three different 14 gal conicals, A Blichman, a MoreBeer, and a SS Brewtech.

All three still hold come yeast/trub along the side, but must drops out the bottom.

I also agree with the butterfly valves and have upgraded all tho the butterfly valves.

I also will often use this little gizmo..

https://www.morebeer.com/products/conical-accessories-15-yeast-harvester.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Really for two reasons -
1 - On occasion I harvest the yeast and this is a spendy yet awesome collection device.
I wait until the majority of the yeast has dropped into the harvester, remove rinse and repeat.

2 - But mostly it's because there is a beer geek hidden inside me. You can see what's happening at the bottom of the conical during fermentation. You actually can see the yeast doing it's work.

I think I have a couple of cool videos of both an ale and lager yeast at work - If I get the time in the next few days I'll try to post them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: