Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kolsch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Excellent! Glad you like it. I picked up some more Kölsch yeast (WLP029) recently so I need to make this in the next few months as well... it's a pretty versatile yeast too. Many will brew all sorts of styles with it.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this again recently and added some photos/videos:

Making a starter for the Kölsch a few days ahead of brew day. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Heating up the strike water. Trying a single infusion mash this time, a couple of degrees higher than usual. Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Happy munching my 292 billion little minions. Turn this wort into delicious beer! Image (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Kölsch is a hybrid beer that just can't decide if it's a lager or an ale. Image (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Gravity has dropped to 1.014 in the 5 days since I pitched. Time to bump the temperature up to ~64F in the fermenting fridges to ensure the last few points ferment out well. The sample tasted great! Image (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Racking the Kölsch into 5 gallon CO2 purged glass carboys that I use as brite tanks. Approximately 5g of unflavoured gelatin is dissolved in warm distilled water and added too. Image (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Kegging the Kölsch. 48 hours after adding gelatin it's crystal clear. Even though it's not yet lagered or carb'ed it already tastes great! Video (c) TheElectricBrewery.com

Kal

robbie_c

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you go about adjusting the recipe for 5 Gallon Batches? I saw you said that brewery software can assist, but not sure how to do it in the software. I normally purchase 5 Gal recipes with the ingredients from retailers but want to give this and some of the other recipes a shot.

Thanks for your help!!!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robbie,

The amounts given are for 12 gallons post boil, and eventually about 10 into kegs or bottles. If you wish to make about 6 gallons post boil leaving about 5 into kegs or bottles, cut everything in half.

Now that said, all setups have different mash efficiency so you'll need to adjust the amount of grain to suit your particular setup.

Note that On this beer there's very little loss from kettle -> keg, so you could even make just 11 (or 5.5) gallons post boil. In fact, that's usually what I do and just did (just brewed this again about a month ago). For sake of standardization however, I make all my recipes here 12 gallons post boil to avoid confusion.

If you have questions on how to use your software, I'd suggest starting a new thread on it and ask specific questions. Other users of whatever software you are using may be able to assist. You can also reach out to the manufacturer of the software for assistance or check their manual. Scaling of recipes is a few common feature that everyone uses so most software will have hints on how to proceed. This includes buying beer kits as they include a specific amount of grain which only works for one specific mash efficiency, which probably isn't what your mash efficiency is. It's best to learn to use brewing software so that you can scale to hit the target gravity for your specific setup.

Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
robbie_c

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal for the fast response. I will look into this. Happy to be apart of the forum!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the intro photo:

It's making me thirsty!

Kal

JayBo

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed another 10 gallons of this wonderful beer. Has anyone else noticed this yeast rips through fermentation super quick? 3 days at 60-64 degrees, mine dropped from 1.053 to 1.016.
bamcisman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal.First of all, thanks for the website and forum, they are great resources.

I saw on page one you used US-05 on half a batch and the difference want too noticeable. I've used 05 many times and love it. I usually fermemnt it around 65*F then slowly ramp up the temp over the next few days. How did you ferment this particular beer with US-05, and did you still have a long lagering phase? I've never made a lager, and don't have the ability to make a starter (although that's next on my list). Thanks,

Gabe
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If using US-05 I'd ferment in the low 60's. Probably around 62F or so. 65F would work too. Conditioning after (not technically lagering I suppose) would certainly help too as it'll help promote a clean/crisp taste.

Some say that US-05 gets kind of 'peachy' if you go too low (60-62) so you may want to experiment and see what you like.

For what it's worth, the beer won't be a Kolsch if brewed with US-05, more of a Blonde Ale. Still tasty! Just not 'technically' a Kolsch as the yeast is key to the style.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Kal

silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Anthony Bourdain's Season 7 Parts Unknown where he visits Cologne's restaurants and drinks a lot of Kolsch with some great food, I had to make some.. drinking it now.. its superb..

Kal's right .. get the right yeast...

Side note.. the Kolsch was my 200th batch on my system..

still chugging along nicely

Cheers!

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolsch is a great style - it's become one of the few I always seem to have on tap. More flavour than your standard north american lager, but still approachable enough by those who like lighter tasting beers.

Kal

dward4421

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will attempt this recipe this week. How long do you do your protein rest for ?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dward4421 wrote:
I will attempt this recipe this week. How long do you do your protein rest for ?

10 minutes or so (I've now updated the recipe to mention this).

Now that said, I don't usually bother anymore. I've brewed this half a dozen times since I wrote this recipe and I don't usually bother with the protein rest. In fact, I brewed it today again and skipped it.

Some videos of the brew day:

Digging out hops the night before: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgun7qjBHYi/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery
Heating strike water: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgv2NBThu-8/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery
Mash done: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgwH6lQhBak/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery
Boil: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgwbVF0h2ED/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery
Chill/pitch yeast: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgwwGiJhTds/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Kal

cmkopp11

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Kal,

Quick question. How did you calculate your OG and FG values? When I plug this information into Brewer's Friend, I get FG values of 1.012 to 1.013. I'm assuming there's a broken calculation in their program. I created a recipe very similar to yours before checking the forum. I was going to use 15 pounds of pilsner 1 pound of Munich and 1 pound of Vienna with WLP029. Any ideas or suggestions? I used your efficiency of 95% and intend to actually calculate my extract efficiency on this brew.

Thanks,
Chris
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you set your yeast attenuation to 82%

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I was using the default values for the yeast. Thanks for the tip. Now to figure out the SRM and OG discrepancy. Lol
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so to the right of his ingredients, you'll see a % change your recipe to your normal brew house efficiency then add those grains by % , you will first hit the goal button then save and it should work, if you need my help about brewers friend let me know, my user name is the same

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ozarks!

When using his numbers, it calculates the SRM at about 2.97 iirc. I was trying to verify his recipe was 100% to style before tweaking mine.

I'll back out my recipe and try his the way you just suggested. I appreciate the help!
cmkopp11

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the confusion. I missed that his is actually 3.0 not 3.5. I'll take 2.97 as close enough for government work!
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the srm wont be exact, each grain and boil method might change it anyway, I boil for at least 90 minutes and that darkens some beers
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: