Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

I need help with 240v gfci tripping
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi again lemonjelly!

Please check your emails - we're sending you replacement that has been tested with your exact TC to NPS adapter to get you up and running (we actually bought some of these exact adapters to test ourselves a week or so ago).

These adapters are likely machined to tightly so to avoid future issues so we're actually checking all elements before sending them out now so that other customers do not have issues (your order was just before we started checking). We also recently sent some off to Camco engineering to confirm too...

Sorry again for the troubles.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
lemonjelly

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi again lemonjelly!

Please check your emails - we're sending you replacement that has been tested with your exact TC to NPS adapter to get you up and running (we actually bought some of these exact adapters to test ourselves a week or so ago).

These adapters are likely machined to tightly so to avoid future issues so we're actually checking all elements before sending them out now so that other customers do not have issues (your order was just before we started checking). We also recently sent some off to Camco engineering to confirm too...

Sorry again for the troubles.

Kal

Awesome and Thank you helping me through this.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Sorry that you had to have any issues at all!

Kal

lemonjelly

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, received the new element today. Thank you! USPS tried their hardest to smash the box but it all seems intact. The TC adapter threads perfectly and looks like it going to work. I noticed the element included a thick black o-ring, should I keep this on? also do recommend using Teflon tape on the element threads? I'll be sending the old element back on Monday. Thanks again for the best customer service I've ever had.

https://imgur.com/KQWNNqf

https://imgur.com/l8Ndzxe

https://imgur.com/NOQn9CS
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove the black rubber ring and install like this, I use Teflon tape on the threads myself

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=7

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Don't use the black rubber o-ring, use Teflon tape. Good luck!

Kal

lemonjelly

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright update time... Seems I getting some leaking... both where the TC adapter meets the element box and inside the element box. A slow leak and not enough to trip a breaker but obviously not good. I applied about 6 clean straight wraps of Teflon tape on the element threads and hand tightened with good force. Any suggestions? besides doing it the right way and drilling a new hole and saying f*** this TC adapter... ahh sorry just frustrated at this point.

https://imgur.com/mECPMwt

https://imgur.com/pBanY8v
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's leaking between the adapter and the element? If yes, the two parts aren't mating well - it's possibly not tight enough.

Kal

lemonjelly

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
So it's leaking between the adapter and the element? If yes, the two parts aren't mating well - it's possibly not tight enough.

Kal

I just tried 3 times with new Teflon tape each time. Holding on the nut/element from the inside of the housing with a channellock and turning the adapter with my hand because there's no way to really grab it with a wrench with it being smooth. Turned it as hard as I could, still no luck...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By hand is rarely tight enough. There's no flat areas on the adapter to allow for a wrench? Something's needed to allow you to tighten correctly.

Maybe a strap wrench?: http://amzn.to/2po6Kuq

And then use a wrench on the inside too - I recommend this Camco socket: http://amzn.to/2poL0P7

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Hot Pot tri-clamp element adapter and my install required a red o-ring. I just turned it hand tight and haven't had a single issue. I would recommend getting one of these red o-rings sized for element threads rather than Teflon tape.

If you can't find one, I have a couple extra. I could give you one. Just let me know.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I use the red o-ring plus tape on the threads

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was able to get a strap wrench from work today and tried tightening again but still was getting leaks. I know it was tight because it was beginning to wear into the panel box. https://imgur.com/a/oasNK

As a last resort after many and many different combinations of teflon tape, different o-rings, and tightening like crazy. I think I might have stopped the leak. I put the original black washer that came with the element and threaded on the TC adapter.... no teflon tape and not a tun of tightening force... and so far no leaks. With the black o-ring on, I'm not able to use the box style element housing but It does look like I will be able to use my old enclosure that was similar to the "Hot Pod" but different brand.
I'm going to put 10 gallons of water in my kettle over night to make sure there isn't a slow leak or something but hopefully this works. I may possible add teflon tape as well just as extra insurance but right now I'm scared to mess with it.

If this doesn't work out, I'm buying a "Hot Pod". I may end up buying a drill bit and hole punch as well to make use of the box style enclosure on my old kettle and do it the "electric brewery" way, as a back up. I going to need about a kegs worth of beer when this is all done and over with.

Thank you guys for trying to help too, much appreciated!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemonjelly wrote:
Well I was able to get a strap wrench from work today and tried tightening again but still was getting leaks. I know it was tight because it was beginning to wear into the panel box. https://imgur.com/a/oasNK

How much the adapter is rubbing against the panel box doesn't mean the adapter is tight to the heating element. You want the adapter and heating element tight as that's where the seal is.

Glad you figure out a solution however!

Kal

lemonjelly

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, didn't think about that. Maybe I'll tinker with that some more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: