Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Looking for small used bourbon barrels - also, SCAM warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Looking for small used bourbon barrels - also, SCAM warning Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm looking for a 8 to 15 gallon freshly dumped bourbon barrel to put a barleywine in. I can't find any online other than new 5 gallon and used 53 gallon. Does anyone have a good supplier?

Also, a warning. I purchased a barrel from OakWoodBarrels.com. They were very helpful and responsive on ordering. Prices were reasonable, shipping was supposed to be fast, website looks legit. I paid with credit card online...and the barrel never showed up. I should have done my homework better as when I looked for reviews after I never got my barrel, I discovered they are a total SCAM site. They have an F rating with the Better Business Bureau, Yelp reviews all say it's a scam, and multiple brewing/ distilling sites state they were scammed. Some "positive" reviews in the complaint sites are likely from the scammer. It appears that this same scammer runs DirtCheapBarrels.com, and they are likely located out of country. No commercial/ business structure exists where the website says it is on the map.

So beware, and do better research than I did.

And please let me know if you have a good barrel source.
Will319

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not own a barrel but Farmhouse brewing has a supplier they work with for 10 and 15 gallon barrels. Periodically they will get a shipment of them and send an email blast. I would reach out to them and see if they have any or if they can get you one. Varieties I have seen from them are Rum, Whiskey, and Rumble.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - For bourbon barrel oaking, take a look at how I do it here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30859

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will319 wrote:
I do not own a barrel but Farmhouse brewing has a supplier they work with for 10 and 15 gallon barrels.

Thanks for the recommendation! They appear not to have any right now, but I'll keep an eye out.
Kal wrote:
FYI - For bourbon barrel oaking, take a look at how I do it here:

Thanks Kal. I've done that before too with good results. Problem is I brewed a Barleywine for my friend's 40th birthday (which is in two years) and I want to legit age it in a barrel that whole time.
Will319

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this link:

https://www.homebrewing.org/Used-5-gallon-whiskey-barrel_p_2187.html?AffId=95

I have always had my eye on trying to get a hold of a Balcones Baby Blue Barrel. If you don't know about them, they are a craft Distillery that does a lot of things different. They use blue corn to make their whiskey and age it in 5 gallon barrels to have a higher spirit to wood ratio. They use a copper pot and keep the barrels in the same building the distillery. The idea is when the still is operating the temperature change forces the spirit in and out of the wood much like the change in seasons in a barrel house.

Good luck in your search.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will319 wrote:
I just found this link:

https://www.homebrewing.org/Used-5-gallon-whiskey-barrel_p_2187.html?AffId=95

I have always had my eye on trying to get a hold of a Balcones Baby Blue Barrel. If you don't know about them, they are a craft Distillery that does a lot of things different. They use blue corn to make their whiskey and age it in 5 gallon barrels to have a higher spirit to wood ratio. They use a copper pot and keep the barrels in the same building the distillery. The idea is when the still is operating the temperature change forces the spirit in and out of the wood much like the change in seasons in a barrel house.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks. I had seen the one you sent the link on. I'm still hoping to find a 15 gallon bourbon barrel, but I may just get two or three of those. The Balcones sounds really cool. I'll keep an eye out. Mug
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of the Balcones barrels. I haven't used them yet but visually they appear to be very solid and came in good condition. They certainly look cool.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGruber wrote:
Thanks Kal. I've done that before too with good results. Problem is I brewed a Barleywine for my friend's 40th birthday (which is in two years) and I want to legit age it in a barrel that whole time.

Make sure to sample! Depending on how used the keg is, 2 years (or even 2 months) may be too long.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: