Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Beersmith Equipment Profile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Quote:
I only use the software for recipe management, and the only things that are system specific are boil off rate and efficiency.

Which program do you happen to use... and do you think these are worth the investment...how do they aid in the process?
-John
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
Quote:
I only use the software for recipe management, and the only things that are system specific are boil off rate and efficiency.

Which program do you happen to use... and do you think these are worth the investment...how do they aid in the process?
-John

I use Beer Tools Pro.

You can see how I use it by following my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Definitely worth the investment for me. You need something to create recipes, and while there is free (online) software out there I like the features of Beer Tools Pro.

There are probably hundreds of different recipe creation/inventory management software tools out there between the various downloadable Mac/Windows versions, smartphone versions, and online only versions.

Try a few, see what works for you.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

Will BeerTools aid in calculating your boil off rate, or is this something thats figured out via trial and error?

i.e. on my current stove top set up on a 60min boil I'll lose a half gallon and 90min boil slightly more. But This has purely been figured out by measuring post boil on my behalf..

Happy Friday Mug
-John
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it gives you a reference but the true number will only be figured out by trial and error. All depends on the surface area of the boiling wort and how strong the boil is. I've found for my kettle (20 gal Ss) is approx the same size as the Blichmann so the 1.9/hr that Kal talks about is spot on.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

Will BeerTools aid in calculating your boil off rate, or is this something thats figured out via trial and error?

Trial and error. I don't know of any brewing software that will attempt to calculate boil off rate. That would be horrendously complex as it involves factors like kettle geometry, power (either watts or BTU), wind, ambient temp, humidity levels, etc. (Many items that are not static, but constantly changing).

Quote:
i.e. on my current stove top set up on a 60min boil I'll lose a half gallon and 90min boil slightly more. But This has purely been figured out by measuring post boil on my behalf..

Yup. That's the way to do it.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Yup. That's the way to do it.

Cheers!

Kal

Excellent- I had to ask, but I figured as much... this seems to be my biggest issue at the present time. I've only hit my exact OG and volume together twice. I look forward to the better control the panel will provided once my built is complete. In the mean time- I'll continue to top off with additional H2O post boil to obtain my OG...
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
I believe it gives you a reference but the true number will only be figured out by trial and error. All depends on the surface area of the boiling wort and how strong the boil is. I've found for my kettle (20 gal Ss) is approx the same size as the Blichmann so the 1.9/hr that Kal talks about is spot on.

Thanks db, I appreciate your input.

Cheers,
-John
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: