Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

pure nitro vs beergas

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morrillt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: pure nitro vs beergas Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have seen this debate often on forums, and am just sort of trusting kal on all things Smile

I have a milk stout, and would rather just carb than do pure nitro, as its easier for me to get that than make mixes.

My question is what do I need to watch out for if anything if I do things this way. We typically drink an entire keg in a week once we start pouring....

Best
Todd
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always done a 30/70 blend (30% CO2, 70% Nitro) as my beers on stout taps tend to stay on a long time. If you're going to drink fast, no reason why pure Nitro wouldn't work too, but then what's the benefit?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
morrillt

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the benefit is my gas guy has a hard time with the beer gas mix recipe ....
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure - do whatever's easier. My place is a little hole in the wall and they do it by weight (I think, but don't quote me on that). I can ask for any ratio I like. They don't have any special blending tools as far as I can tell.

Kal

kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal do you use a nitro tank or a CO2 tank for your beer gas mixture? I purchased a nitro regulator thinking that's what I needed for the beer gas setup and then I found that my LHBS carries beer gas bottles that are set up threaded for CO2 regulators. I'm going to check with the local Airgas place and see if they carry both types but just curious about your setup.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought most of my stuff from a large distributor that supplies bars as they use commercial grade stuff and I can since I'm technically a "brewery" in their eyes. Wink So that said, my understanding from them is that the tanks are the same. (Mine's a 20# aluminum tank). They simply replaced the CO2 valve with a nitro valve so that I could use a nitro regulator attached to it as the threading is indeed different.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is a lot of bad information on the internet and I read on another forum of a guy who uses a nitro tap, but just runs Co2 through it. He claims he gets the same creamy head as if using the blended gas (Nitro & Co2). Have you heard of this? I don't even know if this is possible. If it is then is the nitro faucet head the reason he gets the same effect as the blended gas? Don't jump all over me everyone I'm just asking as I read this and am curious. It could be completely bogus. If it works it would save some money if it were possible to do it this way......Any thoughts?

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcav wrote:
I know there is a lot of bad information on the internet and I read on another forum of a guy who uses a nitro tap, but just runs Co2 through it. He claims he gets the same creamy head as if using the blended gas (Nitro & Co2). Have you heard of this?

I haven't heard of this.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much. Thanks Kal, it's probably bad info that I thought it sounded like.......

John

TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcav wrote:
I know there is a lot of bad information on the internet and I read on another forum of a guy who uses a nitro tap, but just runs Co2 through it. He claims he gets the same creamy head as if using the blended gas (Nitro & Co2). Have you heard of this? I don't even know if this is possible. If it is then is the nitro faucet head the reason he gets the same effect as the blended gas? Don't jump all over me everyone I'm just asking as I read this and am curious. It could be completely bogus. If it works it would save some money if it were possible to do it this way......Any thoughts?

John

You can certainly get the same effect through a stout faucet using pure CO2. The faucet works by forcing beer through a diffuser plate which causes the turbulence to break out CO2 and create those fine bubbles.

The problem with using pure CO2 for your stout faucet is, that over time (in less than a week), your beer will continue to carbonate. Stout faucets typically require 30 psi to pour correctly, and if you had a beer at 30 psi for longer than a few days, your carbonation would sore over 3-4 volumes. Typical beers run through a stout faucet should be at 1.0-1.2 volumes otherwise you run into other problems with the pour. The nitro blend allows you to run the stout faucet keg at 30 psi without forcing more than 1.0-1.5 vol of CO2 into the beer.

Let me know if that makes sense, it's been a while since I took the Micromatic dispense course Wink

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes a lot of sense! It would certainly overcarb. Trying to push a normally CO2 carb'ed beer through a stout faucet and all you get is foam. That's what happens if I take one of my kegs carbed to ~2 volumes of CO2 and put it on a nitro faucet.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me too! Thanks for chiming in! Oh and thanks again for doing an AWESOME job on my control box! I absolutely love that thing!

John

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I bought most of my stuff from a large distributor that supplies bars as they use commercial grade stuff and I can since I'm technically a "brewery" in their eyes. Wink So that said, my understanding from them is that the tanks are the same. (Mine's a 20# aluminum tank). They simply replaced the CO2 valve with a nitro valve so that I could use a nitro regulator attached to it as the threading is indeed different.

Kal

Thanks for the help Kal. I'm going to pick up a new tank after work. Hopefully I'll have my stout on beer gas by Saturday.
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread here... just looking for some insight into carbing on beer gas. At 30 PSI that 30% CO2 blend is going to give you an equivalent 9 PSI CO2 and the resultant volumes CO2 based on your temperature. That being said, can you simply carbonated on pure CO2 at 9 PSI and then purge the headspace and put beer gas on it for serving? Or do nitro beers NEED to be carbonated the entire time on beer gas? Thanks in advance. Mug

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I normally carb mine with CO2 first than switch to Beer gas.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
Yes. I normally carb mine with CO2 first than switch to Beer gas.

Excellent! Thanks dp! It seemed like I might be wasting good nitrogen if I carbed beers on it as well. I appreciate the reassurance. We are about to brew an Irish Red for St. Patty’s day so I may need to get another nitro faucet to pour that beer on as well. First world problems... Mug

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Both work. I go the easy way and carb with beer gas mix at serving pressure because it’s easier. You just hook up the gas and leave it. No chance of overcarbing
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Yep! Both work. I go the easy way and carb with beer gas mix at serving pressure because it’s easier. You just hook up the gas and leave it. No chance of overcarbing

I tried doing that on my last stout. It took forever to get to the correct level of carbonation. Also Beer Gas is much more expensive here locally.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: