Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Burnt element & rust on nut

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Burnt element & rust on nut Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, here's what happened. I have both a Chugger and March pump in our system. Chugger was on the wort side and it seemed to having some issue pushing, so I decided to swap them. Did all the physical moving but had missed swapping the power cords plugged into the panel. When I went to do a deep cleaning, I thought I was turning on the wort pump when in fact the water pump was going. Obviously, all the cleaning water drained from the BK and the element was bright red before I noticed it.

So, I've tried cleaning it with Oxiclean twice and I'm still getting chunks falling off and the element smells like a campfire. I am wondering if it can be salvaged or should we just bite the bullet and purchase a new element?

Also, the nut on the BK element is all rusty. I took element out to look at it more closely and rust particles fell all inside the kettle. I've attached a picture of the nut. I didn't think these would rust? Should the nuts have been passivized? We purchased the element kits assembled from here probably about a year ago. Any thoughts on cleaning it up?

0218181406.png
 Description:
Rusty nut
 Filesize:  66.24 KB
 Viewed:  10909 Time(s)

0218181406.png

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Burnt element & rust on nut Reply with quote

ghandlin wrote:
So, I've tried cleaning it with Oxiclean twice and I'm still getting chunks falling off and the element smells like a campfire. I am wondering if it can be salvaged or should we just bite the bullet and purchase a new element?

I would replace the element. Available here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/stainless-steel-heating-elements

Quote:
Also, the nut on the BK element is all rusty. I took element out to look at it more closely and rust particles fell all inside the kettle. I've attached a picture of the nut. I didn't think these would rust? Should the nuts have been passivized? We purchased the element kits assembled from here probably about a year ago. Any thoughts on cleaning it up?

I'd use some Oxiclean or Bar Keepers Friend or similar. Doesn't need to be passivated. That happens naturally. This is very curious, as you shouldn't have any discoloration. I swapped my elements out for the new stainless base models about 2 years ago and use the exact same nut and they still look brand new.

Did you happen to use the nut on on any dissimilar metals such as an element that has an iron base instead of stainless?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Burnt element & rust on nut Reply with quote

Quote:
I would replace the element. Available here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/stainless-steel-heating-elements

Thx Kal, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Did you happen to use the nut on on any dissimilar metals such as an element that has an iron base instead of stainless?

Nope, only been on the pre-built kit and in that kettle. Now, the kettle was purchased used and I never passivated it. Perhaps that's part of the issue?

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised - passivation isn't something you normally need to do. Happens naturally.

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It it is the element from you boil kettle I don't think it is rust. Most likely wort residue from previous brews.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
It it is the element from you boil kettle I don't think it is rust. Most likely wort residue from previous brews.

You're right - looking at the picture again, it doesn't look like rust. Hard to tell however.

Kal

ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cleaned up pretty nicely when I pulled it apart and used Bar Keeper's Friend on it.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghandlin wrote:
It cleaned up pretty nicely when I pulled it apart and used Bar Keeper's Friend on it.

Wait a couple days for the natural protection to build back up then soak it in water for a few days. You'll know if it will rust or not pretty quickly. My guess is that it was just some old brew residue.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it looks like burnt wort not rust
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: