Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Faulty AMP Meter

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SchlandBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Faulty AMP Meter Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So... I finally turned the key on the panel, and it looked great. However, the amp meter showed no display. I was thinking that it should still display 0s at start up, but the display is dark. Volt meter is fine. So I double checked all my connections and checked continuity on all my wires. Looks good. I'm getting 4.9VDC to the plug for the meter and continuity to the shunt is good. I decided, the meter was just bad, so I ordered another. Same issue, same readings. I used my multi-meter to measure the amps for the pumps only, and we are good. So, has anyone else had issues with the MINLIN amp meters? I've triple check my diagrams, wire connections, and continuity and voltages. Any other ideas before I drop another $12 for this part?

I know it's not required for operation, but my OCD is killing me when it comes to this dark empty spot on the panel.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You are correct that something should display on the meter when powered. The shunt is not needed to get something to display.

With the meter connected to only the power supply, what DC voltage do you measure at the power input?

The odds of getting 2 bad ones is astronomically small so I’d suspect something else.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
SchlandBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

So I'm getting at the power supply 4.9VDC being provided. Same as what I'm measuring at the plug. I even took the shunt out of the equation and measured with the multi-meter. With both pumps running I was drawing approx .074 AMPS. Disclamer, I'm using Brewferm pumps that are available in Europe. My chugger pumps when they arrived were for the wrong voltage. When I hooked up the multi-meter I made sure to also hook in the leads for the amp meter. Still no display. I'm tempted to install some jumper wires from the volt meters power only to the voltage input on the amp meter, to see if the amp meter activates, or vice versa.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SchlandBrewer wrote:
So I'm getting at the power supply 4.9VDC being provided. Same as what I'm measuring at the plug. I even took the shunt out of the equation and measured with the multi-meter.

This is with the power supply connected to the amp meter? I want to make sure there's a load as the issue could be with the power supply being defective/not being able to supply current under load which usually makes the voltage sag (which isn't the case it appears).

Quote:
With both pumps running I was drawing approx .074 AMPS. Disclamer, I'm using Brewferm pumps that are available in Europe.

Wait, how do you know how many amps you're drawing if the amp meter is displaying nothing? How are you measuring it?
74mA also seems incredibly low. Two Chugger/March pumps running should draw between 1-2 amps. Assuming your pumps these are 240V pumps, that's only ~9 watts per pump while March/Chugger tend to run around 90-100W.

Quote:
I'm tempted to install some jumper wires from the volt meters power only to the voltage input on the amp meter, to see if the amp meter activates, or vice versa.

Definitely. Try swapping power supplies.

The only other thing I'd look out for is make sure you ordered the right amp meter. If you ordered something incorrect (or they sent the incorrect) one the first time, it may be normal that it doesn't work when powered with ~5VDC. Maybe it needs a different voltage, maybe not DC. You may then have simply ordered the wrong one again the second time.

Kal

SchlandBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Installed the jumper wire on both power supplies and used the additional plug from the new meter. It would seem, that power supply power was grounding out somewhere in the original plug. I installed the new plug, and now both meters work. It was weird.

I don't know what to tell you about the draw for the pumps, they are not Chugger pump brand. No where on the pump or in the manual does it mention how my amps it should draw. Weird. I was scratching my head a little.

Oh and almost forgot, since the meter wasn't working on the panel I setup my FLUKE 83 III multi meter to measure amperage while the pumps were running.

Thank you for inputs! Prost!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SchlandBrewer wrote:
Success! Installed the jumper wire on both power supplies and used the additional plug from the new meter. It would seem, that power supply power was grounding out somewhere in the original plug. I installed the new plug, and now both meters work. It was weird.

Great! I take it these are power supplies you sourced yourself? With the ones we sell we include nylon standoffs and screws (non-conductive) to ensure that nothing on them shorts off against the backplane. You may want to consider installing some to ensure you don't run into problems in the future as it may be borderline/close to shorting out. Normally however when things short out you end up frying the power supply (and sometimes the meters) in a puff of smoke.

Cheers!

Kal

SchlandBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power supplies were shipped with the 50A DIY kit. MeanWells, with the DIN rail. Input 100-240VAC output 5VDC. I've had to convert the panel to 3 phase, but the only extra parts sourced was a Packard 3 pole contractor, and a new euro spec. plug and receptacle. Other than that, I was still able to follow the guide to put the panel together. I have to say, I'm a little sad it's done. I had a great time building it. Talking with a few friends here in Germany that are thinking about making the leap to electric, so I can always help.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Ok then. Strange that you had issues. I wonder if it was some sort of loose connection then. Odd!

Glad to hear that it's all up and running though - if any of your friends are interested tell them to give me a shout!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: