Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Replacing pump thrust washers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Replacing pump thrust washers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

This guide has moved here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/replacing-pump-thrust-washers

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:31 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Like everyone else who follows this site, I rushed right out to the brewery, disassembled both pumps and discovered that neither had a thrust washer. I immediately clicked over to the AiH website (using the provided link) where I discovered that a bunch of other folks beat me to the available inventory. The good folks there tell me:

These are temporarily out of stock on the site until we recevie more in from the vendor. Our shipments from them normally are in stock within 1-2 weeks but I dont have a current ETA at this time. They will be relisted for sale on the site once we have stock on hand for processing.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Not the sort of thing they probably sell many of normally. Wink If you want them now, you can get them from Amazon too. See the links in the guide: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/replacing-pump-thrust-washers

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guide has been re-written and moved here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/replacing-pump-thrust-washers

Kal

dnierer

Drinking: Electric Hop Candy

Working on: Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the size of the small thrust washers?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnierer wrote:
What is the size of the small thrust washers?

Click on the small pump thrust washers in my guide to be taken to an order page that has multiple sources. Then click on the "Amazon.com (USA) - Replacement" link and that one will give full specs.

Cheers!

Kal

dnierer

Drinking: Electric Hop Candy

Working on: Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I click the Amazon - Replacement Link it tells me hurry order quick only 1 left but it won't let me order. I'll probably just go to the Adventures in Homebrewing

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! You were asking about the size, so I was answer that. They may be sold out (probably because I just recently published this guide and sent out a newsletter!) but the size info is still listed when you click through.

Good luck!

Kal

alex57

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious why is one of my brew pumps making weird noises lately Wink

D6C23CC3-DE45-44D3-81DE-0F0DF94F1B30.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.23 KB
 Viewed:  3630 Time(s)

D6C23CC3-DE45-44D3-81DE-0F0DF94F1B30.jpeg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would do it! Time to replace...

Kal

Homebrewar

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have an alternate source for the March/Chugger thrust washer (0809-0043-1000). The Amazon links in the maintenance guide are currently unavailable. AIH stocks, but shipping is expensive unless you fill up your cart.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Blichmann website and ordered their thrust washer for the riptide pump. It takes the same size washer (I have a March pump) and it is stainless steel. I ordered several to have extra. So far they work great and they don't dissolve. Here is a link:

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/riptidetm-replacement-washer-pack-of-6.html

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcav wrote:
I went to the Blichmann website and ordered their thrust washer for the riptide pump. It takes the same size washer (I have a March pump) and it is stainless steel. I ordered several to have extra. So far they work great and they don't dissolve.

I wouldn't assume that you could replace a Teflon washer for a stainless one. Given the massive differences in material properties, there's likely a reason one is Teflon and the other stainless.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal you are absolutely correct. I should have quantified my post. I recirculate the boiling wort through both of my counter flow chillers (yes I have two, one for ground water and one for ice water) for 15 minutes to sanitize them. For some reason on my rig and my system on my back lanai the hot wort seems to disintegrate the Teflon thrust washers and I was having to replace them all the time. Even on the water pump (but much less frequently) which runs cooler hot liquor through it. My system is approaching 8 years old and has 90 batches through it.

I took a chance on the stainless rip tide pump thrust washers and I have been using them since 2021. These seem to work very well on my particular March pumps with no issues. During pump cleaning even with these stainless washers I have lost one, or something ate it, or I am getting old, or I don't know what happened but it's gone, so I bought extra to have on hand. They do work very well with my pumps but I can't claim that this is a fix for everyone's pumps. Thanks for pointing this out Kal, as the integrity of this site and information is of the utmost importance.

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my March pumps since 2009 and have put through just over 200 ten gallon batches since then. I also pass wort at boiling from the boil kettle through the pump when chilling. I've only replaced my thrust washers 3-4 times.

I wonder if the thrust washers you were using are not the right ones maybe?

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: