Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

March pump will not pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: March pump will not pump Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Thought I encountered a disaster when brewing on Saturday, December 16, 2017. Reached the point in the brew day were I needed both the wort and the water pumps running for the 90 minute mash. Turn on the wort pump -- it's not pumping. Check the lines and the pump is primed. Hearing a noise from the pump, but it's not pumping.

Both pumps worked fine when I last brewed on October 21, 2017.

Notice the "fan" in the rear of the housing is not moving (I'm not writing about the impeller in the pump housing).

Try to move the fan with a screwdriver. I don't want to touch metal with metal while the pump is on so I use a wooden craft stick (aka popsicle stick). I'm able to move the fan and the pump then begins pumping.

No other problems with the pump thru the rest of the brew day.

Any idea why the pump acted up? Time for me to oil the pump or some other problem with the pump?

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're hearing noise from the pump when you try to run it it sounds like it's getting power. I'd take apart the head to see if something's blocked.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time something similar has happened to me was when my propeller was gunked up with nasty stuff from the previous brew. I took apart and cleaned. Worked great ever since.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
Only time something similar has happened to me was when my propeller was gunked up with nasty stuff from the previous brew. I took apart and cleaned. Worked great ever since.

Same thing happened to me (wort pump) although it appeared to be gunk from multiple brews. I've since disassembled and cleaned both pumps just to ensure there wasn't a potential problem lurking. Works like a champ now.
hopster54

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, i open the pump head and soak in PBW after every brew to avoid the sticky wort, it doesn't take much to stop the impeller from free wheeling under power.

Mug
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. New item added to my "Day Before Brewing" list. Check the pumps!
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: March pump will not pump Reply with quote

KB wrote:

Notice the "fan" in the rear of the housing is not moving (I'm not writing about the impeller in the pump housing).

Try to move the fan with a screwdriver. I don't want to touch metal with metal while the pump is on so I use a wooden craft stick (aka popsicle stick). I'm able to move the fan and the pump then begins pumping.

Isn't the fan connected to the motor shaft? If that is the case, I would think that cleaning the impeller should have no bearing on this as the impeller is not directly tied to the motor shaft. Or am I misreading this? I have had issues in the past with motors in general that previously worked fine, would not start after some (short) period of time, and then needed a small 'kick start' to get going, at which point it was fine starting and stopping. This can be caused by a 'dead spot' on the brushes or commutator, and is usually caused by some minor corrosion. (Or any insulating film between the parts.) Once running again, this corrosion is worn off and the motor is back to 'normal'. Considering the environment we run in, something to watch for.

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never experienced problems with my pumps (knock on wood!), 99% of the time if they're not spinning it's going to be something in the head/impeller causing issues. First thing to do is to remove the head completely and make sure the actual motor spins fine. That proves that it's something in the head/impeller causing issues.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: