Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

StafflesBrew Garage Brewery Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A small update so far with some hastily taken photos as we were rushing to beat the rain and to go on holiday!

We took delivery of the new s/s sink and workbench to make the new space all wipe clean and sanitary. The sink comes with an up and over spray hose, some taps and a filling tap part way up. Unfortunately the box for the sink had been opened in transit and re-sealed and we suspect the taps had fallen out.

The new electrical and plumbing runs have been completed though and all the electrical cables are now secured away in conduit and terminate in waterproof sockets. The water feed comes from the existing tap in the garage and runs round the wall to the new sink point.

The racking for all the storage was easy to put up as it is plastic and just slots together, it's screwed to the wall to keep it sturdy. The racking for the storage by the main door needs to be built as this will be a custom job to suit the things we need to store. The chiller for keg storage and fermentation is marked out and needs to be built.

One of the sockets that feeds the fridge freezer is too far over and makes the fridge stick out a lot. This can be moved to under the workbench to save space.

Photos of the space today looking rather messy as a lot of the storage is missing. But you get the idea of where things will go and what the space will end up looking like. Praying for good weather to keep going this bank holiday weekend!

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to find some time last night to get these bits done but it was chuffing cold in the garage! We had some snow! in April!

The sink now cleared of junk

The tap came well packaged with all its components and an assembly manual, which was definitely required!

Some minor leaks when putting it together, and a quick trip to screwfix to pickup some shut-off valves and some hosetails and we are all sorted! Except that the waste currently empties into a bucket under the sink but this will be plumbed into the waste, hopefully over the weekend. Also the rinsing arm isn't tethered to the wall yet as I am thinking I will need some splashback around the sink and the brewtable before these workstations are secured in place for

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! You'll definitely need a way to fasten the arm to the wal. I'm surprised it didn't come with something.

It also makes a handy place to hang hoses. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I'm surprised it didn't come with something.

Oh it did but I didn't want to make it fully permanent until the splashback is in Smile
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good progress on building out the space. Firstly this set of shelving near the main door came together pretty quickly in an afternoon. I now have a place to store a lot of the heavy items that used to live on the floor. Also space for crates of bottles to be stored Wink

The space before.

Main incoming electrical feed.

Trying to space things out and get the clearance right around the door.

The finished product!

Ok its not a design masterpiece but it's simple shelving that will live forever now in the garage. The tent at the bottom easily weighs 30kg so I specifically built the height, depth and width of the bottom tier to accommodate it.

Engineering perfection Smile

Also made progress on building the kegerator and fermentation cab. I had big issues with this as on the plans I couldn't quite fit all the vessels into the space as the shelves either side had taken up a few mm more than anticipated. This is due to the pipework and conduit around the wall. The problem was eventually solved by building the framework on the narrow edge rather than the larger flat edge. It's just as strong but meant some creative joints as the screws I had (even at 90mm) weren't quite long enough and I really didn't want to use the 150mm's!!

The patient

The dentist drill

The tooth needing extraction
[ur

Out in one piece!

The innocent victim

The Fridge parts in their new home!

These parts all magically fit now

It's annoying that there is no way to fit two plastic buckets in the fermentation chamber, either side by side or one atop the other. There is method in this madness however as the space was sized for 2 SS stainless steel brewbuckets to sit side by side. These will eventually be up on castors to make it easier to move them around. I really wanted to have the fermentation chamber near to the brew station so that I could rack out of the BK and straight into the fermentor in situ. No more man handling 25l buckets of grog! We shall see how successful this is.

Next job is to wire back in the temperature control, door switch and light, and then check it all works and gets cold again. Only then can I build up the rest of the cabinet. Hopefully a job for the coming weekend.

I have reached out to a plumbing friend of mine who is hopefully going to help cut a hole for the sink waste using a core bit. Let's hope he accepts a forward payment in beer!

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of work has gone into the brewery but not much to show for it - planning is key after all.

Plumbing friend came through with the loan of a 52mm Core bit (Thanks George!!) so the waste for the sink is now sorted and it is fully plumbed in. Also the bracket that holds the top of the spray riser is now fixed to the wall giving some much needed strength. I spent a long time trying to level the sink so that the fall leads to the sink bowl. The fall is the opposite way that the garage naturally slopes which makes for quite a change in height. For whatever reason I couldn't get the the legs on the sink to extend (or contract) so until I can work it out then the sink is propped on some properly calibrated bits of 2x4. The workbench next it to is also leveled off and the two together now look really smart.

The reason I don't have a photo of this is the stainless steel splashback. This is just thin sheets of S/S that you stick to the wall with grab adhesive. I must have used the wrong stuff as they stuck to the wall really well positioning them, and when my back was turned they did a comedy slide all the wall down the wall leaving a streaking mess of adhesive on my otherwise white walls. I'm going to give it one more go with a different type of adhesive and if that doesn't work will screw plywood sheets into the brick and try sticking it to that.

I picked up some polystyrene insulation boards to line the inside of the fridge with and framed the outside edges with plywood. Also mounted the fridge internals on a plywood board for strength and to give a solid surface for any further instrumentation to fix to.

The fridge lives! I was worried in my fiddling around the gas would have escaped but no it works great. So well that I need to work out how to stop it freezing up.... I suspect this is something to do with the temperature knob that I need to re-instate - currently just running off the STC-1000 setup.

This is now wired up for the new setup and this time uses grommets for the cable holes and I took some time over the internals to make them neater - the rest of the box may eventually get turned over to a digital tap room display as part of an arduino project I want to try out. Let's get it built first eh?

This is my current control box made of wood with a varnish for protection. It was a way to use up some odds and ends and a sort of P.O.C for Kals setup as a UK build. I had all sorts of issues originally with different pinouts for PIDs, the 240V EU spec input and the availability of 30A relays (32A is much more common it seems!).

This setup has worked well for BIAB and has been proudly mounted on the wall in a nice safe and dry location for a while. However as this is going to be positioned next to and above a kettle of steaming water and a sink it needs to be more waterproof. Enter the new control box.

Underneath this masking tape I have painted it in a smooth black metal paint. With a night to cure this is now rock hard. The original marking out (in pencil) pushed the bottom switches and LEDs too close to the bottom of the enclosure and so the whole thing needed to be shifted up 20mm (marked in pen for final cutting). This marking out took me a good 3 hours to get right, but 3 hours well spent!! I am sure someone has a nice CAD based cutting guide but for some reason I enjoy this part of the process.

I put the first hole in it using a 4mm pilot bit, a 10mm metal bit and then the 21mm Qmax cutter I have for making holes in kettles. Did the job just fine and left a really nice hole. First test fit of the switch body ... oh dear the lugs on the back of the switch won;t go through the hole it is slightly too big!! Ok so lets test the LEDs which are slimmer ... oh dear the threads of the LED don't fit either!! I marked them out as a 20mm hole and thought the 21mm cutter would be adequate. I have ordered a 22.5mm cutter to see if that makes the difference. Over the weekend I also picked up a stepped cutting bit but when I tried to use it realised it was 4mm-20mm. Sigh.

Better to find out now rather than one of the rainy nights this week that I would have dedicated to the build!

Still it left me time to spend on the allotment in the sunshine!

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few "in progress" pics here as the place was a complete mess while I got this step done.

The control box was painted using a brush and some Hammerite black 'paint on rust' paint. I'ts not the best finish, but didn't require a primer coat. It does seem to chip easily and I think I have a load of metallic bits in the paint on the top, which won't be seen.

Getting the right hole cutter really helped and made the job an absolute breeze. The larger holes were cut with a stepped drill bit or a jigsaw and then filed down to smooth. The top panel was JB welded shut to accommodate the SSR heatsinks as per Kals design.

Currently debating how to mount this on the wall. If I try and put four holes in the wall for the mounting brackets, the rough surface of the wall will make the drill bit wander a lot. Another option is to mount a wooden board and then screw the panel to this, although I think I would rather bolt it as it is heavy now. Wall anchors might have to be the tool of choice.

Starting to wire up

A little more cable management required once all the inputs and outputs are wired up and tested. A sneaky peek of the stainless splashbacks - no issues with "no more nails" instant grab.

The outside of the box in all it's glory

I am now waiting on the elements and HERMS coil from BrewPi before I can make progress on the kettles. Communication isn't great with them but there seems to be a new style of HERMS coil they are making, though I can't get out of them when they expect them to be ready.

Next job is to mount the box on the wall and sort out the 32A power feed for it. And hopefully this week get the doors for the Kegerator built.

I picked up an 'industrial fan' as part of the hot weather impulse buys. I set it up in the living room to try it out my thinking being that rather than try to extract the steam I can blow it out the door right next to the brewstation. I plugged the fan in and put it on its lowest setting. Immediately I felt like I was part of a Beyonce concert with my hair and clothes whipping everywhere. For laughs I turned it up to max and the cushions on the sofa were starting to move about!! Industrial this thing certainly is!! It's a good buy as it will help dry off my greens as part of my salad production.

If anyone in the UK is interested - http://www.diy.com/departments/20-3-speed-floor-circulator/1268230_BQ.prd#

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have predicted that the day I go away for a weekend holiday is the day that a big delivery is due to arrive. Thankfully I had someone at home to accept it which meant I had this exciting collection of bits to play with!!

For what it's worth, a bit of unboxing (unbagging) of one of these shiny new kettles.

Shiny Stainless Goodness!

Working out where to put the heating element to keep the HERMS coil as low as possible. These Qmax cutters are a breeze to work with. I now own quite a collection!

Figuring out how the HERMS stacks up and trying to measure the location of the holes while keeping it square to the pot and stop it touching the element was more effort than I bargained for. Eventually got it sorted and poked some holes in.

I should say the element, element housing and HERMS are supplied by BrewPi and they have an amazing quality feel to them. This is their brand new HERMS coil which is shorter than usual but according to their maths does the job.

Kal, feel free to remove this if it breaks any rules but the theory they went through seems worth sharing:
https://www.brewpi.com/what-is-ideal-herms-coil-length-theory-experiments/

Next up was the location of sight glass. I have been using a stainless steel metre rule up until now and conversion table of cm to litres. Looking forward to having an easier ride with this in the future.

It was getting late at this point but I did manage to get the other heating element installed in the BK. The order for the additional fittings has just gone in so hoping to make more progress this evening.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more work on the kettles and this is them in all their glory after leak testing:

Boil Kettle:

Mash Tun:

HLT:

Control panel:

Handy Hose Holder:

Money Shot:

The Pumps, Temp sensors and Elements are all wired up and working - what a difference a 5.5kW element makes!

This evening will be tuning the PIDs. Hopefully getting a brew on at the weekend.

Still to do:
Finish fermentation chamber and kegerator - Doors, Insulation, Fan to pull cold air through
Source and install worktop, beer tower and glasses cabinet.
Improve grain storage (currently used as bottle storage).
Clean out the beer fridge and hop freezer and get that back into use.

None of these are brew stoppers though!

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First brew day with the new kit.

First thing to note I have 2 fewer QD's than I need to make the setup work - actually need 5 hoses instead of 4! And one of my QD's leaks! probably an o-ring.

For the first time ever I was able to underlet the mash through the false bottom.

This is clone of Courage 'Directors' with a nice cheap grain and hop bill.

The re-circ on this through the HERMS coil made the wort really clear, so clear you could see through it the nice amber maltiness. I fly sparged into the BK and the first runnings came off a beautiful colour and really clear too. Matching the sparge was tricky as the ball valves needed to be 'just' open to get the right transfer which took about 30 mins. By the end the wort in the mas tun had lost its colour and was running nearly transparent aka. water Smile

The HLT did it's job really well being set 2C above mash temp to account for heat loss and the MLT tracked precisely on target for the full 60 min mash.

I've never seen a full rolling boil on any of my brews before but the 5.5kW element really packs a punch. 2 photos to show how vigorous this is. I worked out how to reduce the PID output to 50% to keep a rolling boil without throwing boiling wort up at the ceiling.

After 90 mins I hit the predicted OG spot on but with 4 litres less than expected - the boil volume was low before starting the boil so maybe my deadspace calcs are off.

Things to remember:
Sort out the QD's so I have enough hoses.
Get hold of an extra temp probe - don't know why I only have 2 but the third PID doesn't work without it.
Learn how to use the alarms on the control panel. (I did figure out how to use the timer eventually so that's a bonus).
Don't pour water all over the floor and spend as much time mopping up as you do brewing ...

The wort was transferred into a new sanitised fermenting bucket and put in the fermentation chamber. I was a bit desperate to get a brew going as I had the time during the day to account for messing up my first ever AG brewday. THis meant my cold chamber wasn't ready in time and the first 24 hours was at room temp ~22-25C. Needless to say the fermentation was vigorous! it is now sat in the chamber at a steady 19.5C but after 3-4 days all activity is complete but this is typical of my other brews.

I don't yet have an airtight seal on the brewfridge so the fridge unit is struggling to make any difference - effectively trying to chill the entire earth atmosphere. A job for this weekend to put the internal trim panels on and then some door seals. All the internals have polystyrene insulation and aluminium tape over the joins. The cabinet can get down to 14.5C but needs to be lower if I ever want to cold crash or get to a decent serving temperature.

Once the cold chamber is done pics will follow Smile

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good success. Well done!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Kal

StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a long brew session helps to get other parts of the brewery up and running.

During this brew of a BrewDog Elvis Juice clone I managed to:

Extend the cable on the second pump so this can now sit under the counter.
Replace the duff QD's which had started leaking.
Create the 5th hose to enable the full HERMS system to work.
Put up some of the new shelves to give much needed storage.
Organise and generally tidy up all the rubbish hanging around so you can now get from one end to the other.
Give the floor a good clean after the last brew session nearly turned the space into an aquarium.

The brew session went well - despite being longer than needed due to fixing bits and bobs. I do now have a problem with trying to pour myself a drink out the keg - no CO2 pressure. It would appear in my rush to setup my CO2 manifold I haven't leak tested everything and it's all escaped over the last week, or it was running really low anyway.... Whats the best way to test for leaks? soapy water in a spray bottle? It seemed ok for the first week so the leak might be a really small trickle.

Another issue I am having is that I seem to have a much higher boil off rate than I figured, even running the element at 50% for the boil. My boils have been 90mins but I had thought BeerSmith would account for this in it's calculations. What sort of boil off rate should I be using? or is it best to work out it from experience?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StafflesBrew wrote:
I do now have a problem with trying to pour myself a drink out the keg - no CO2 pressure. It would appear in my rush to setup my CO2 manifold I haven't leak tested everything and it's all escaped over the last week, or it was running really low anyway.... Whats the best way to test for leaks? soapy water in a spray bottle?

Correct! You'll see it soap bubbles form wherever there's a leak.

Quote:
Another issue I am having is that I seem to have a much higher boil off rate than I figured, even running the element at 50% for the boil.

How high? What's the heating element power? What's the volume of liquid?

Quote:
My boils have been 90mins but I had thought BeerSmith would account for this in it's calculations.

All your boils have been 90 mins? Why?
60 mins is normal, unless you want or need to do 90 for various reasons like wanting to minimize SMM (a DMS precursor) found in pilsner malt (though depending on who you listen to, many brewers will say they do just fine with a 60 min boil when using mostly pils malt). Then sometimes you want extra reduction for a high gravity beer to get to the gravity you want or to allow for more caramelization like in a barleywine.

Quote:
What sort of boil off rate should I be using? or is it best to work out it from experience?

IMHO, you want to boil hard (see the videos in my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP article or on my Instagram videos) so turn it high enough to get a nice violent boil. This helps to maximize alpha acid extraction from the hops, drive off unwanted volatile compounds, and coagulate unwanted proteins. It helps gives you stable beer over the long term too I'm told. Then you simply measure what the rate is by measuring the amount of liquid before and after (accounting for temperature differences as wort expands when heated: 10-12 gallons) is almost 0.5 larger at boil temp than room temp).

Note that even the vigorousness of the boil is debated highly by brewers. Some say a simmer works well for them. YMMV. Use what works for you.

Good luck!

Kal

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StafflesBrew wrote:
Another issue I am having is that I seem to have a much higher boil off rate than I figured, even running the element at 50% for the boil. My boils have been 90mins but I had thought BeerSmith would account for this in it's calculations. What sort of boil off rate should I be using? or is it best to work out it from experience?

One word of caution with Beersmith and its equipment profiles. If you make a change to your equipment profile, you need to select it again in order for your recipe to "refresh" the changes you've made. I don't believe they have changed this. The reason they do it this way is so that you can “preserve” your recipe from older equipment profiles for batches you’ve already brewed.

Otherwise, yes it should certainly calculate boil-off for your based on the profile. The way to "test" it is to change your boil time in the recipe from 90 to whatever. For example, in my current propane setup, I boil off a gallon per hour. So when I change a 90 minute recipe to a 60 minute boil, my pre-boil volume goes down by half a gallon in Beersmith.
StafflesBrew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time I posted an update here as the project, although functional, is not yet finished.

On the other side of the brewery the bar and tap room is starting to take shape.

The fermentation chamber and kegerator now have a nice worktop and the the tap assembly is built from standard framing timber, with a 6mm MDF front for stability and another piece of worktop to complete the look.

There is a piece of timber 106mmx32mm behind the taps to give the shanks and shank collars something to grip onto.

The front of the unit is finished in a nice "sample" of wallpaper from B&Q - I had just enough to get the pattern to repeat 3 times.

The taps are Intertap from kegKingdom and I have a stout and growler spout should I need it.

The lights are just a simple LED strip with a 12V transformer plug. I need to put a switch on this to make it easier to turn on/off.

There are cut outs in the MDF to take the two STC-1000 for the ferm chamber and the kegerator, and have papered over them for now as there is nothing fermenting and the weather is so cold I don't need to refrigerate. These will be permanently installed shortly before the next bewday.

Last thing to do today was hook something up and test the flow rate.

Mug Mug Mug

Last edited by StafflesBrew on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Nic. Coming along nicely. BTW, watch your photo links to flickr as you might want to make them private.
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, great documentation!
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: