Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brite Tank Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victim

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Brite Tank Questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Could a tank like this be used for both fermentation and as a brite tank? I like the dimensions and that there is a valve for removing trub. Of course, I would have to brew batches smaller than 10 gallon (maybe 8 gallon?), but that is OK with me.
I am trying to maximize the limited amount of space my wife allows me (not that I am complaining or anything).

https://www.morebeer.com/products/ss-brewtech-brite-tank-10-gal.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Thanks for the feedback.
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brite tanks serve a distinct purpose from fermentation vessels. As an owner of both conical fermenters and the Ss brite tank mentioned, here are my thoughts.

Conical based fermentation vessels assist in the collection of trub/hops/yeast by virtue of the pitched walls that allow maximum isolation from the beer product. Those that allow you to bottom drop this, e.g. a conical fermenter, will greatly aid in removing these items to provide a clearer product.

Conical shaped vessels without a bottom valve, like the Ss brew bucket, provide nearly all the benefits by allowing the extraction of the top product (beer) though the racking port while leaving the undesirables left behind. True, you cannot get all the trub/yeast/hops out but a vast majority will drop, especially if you can lower the temperature to near feezing post fermentation.

In both cases the conical shape does not inhibit fermentation during the active phases

A brite tank has a distinct purpose -- clearing the already fermented beer. The flat bottom has the most surface area for collecting particulates from the chilled beer while allowing them to remain there when you package the product. The bottom drain tube assists well in allowing settled products to remain, both on the flat surface and in the tube itself, while *slowly* removing the product to the destination (kegs or bottles).

Slowly is the key as it doesn't stir up the settled products. Since brite tanks are usually filled from a primary fermentation there is also the expectation that there is fewer settled particulates to deal with than in a primary.

If you fermented in the brite you may have problems. The bottom drain tube may collect excessive yeast preventing it from being effectively used. As noted, the lack of headspace limits your final product volume as you need 20%+ extra head space. You can remove trub but you will always be filling from the bottom of the tank, so will always get more gunk in your kegs/bottles then something that draws from above the settled items.

If you had room for a single product and money isn't significant factor I would get the appropriate sized Ss unitank. Provides the benefits of a conical and nearly all the benefits of a brite.

The nest best thing is a regular conical fermenter.

The next best thing, and the most bang for the buck, would be a Ss bucket.

Next I would suggest carboys and a bottling cain.

And last I would suggest doing it all in the brite tank.
Victim

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough response!! This is very helpful!
I've been collecting data on fermentation vessels, refrigerators/freezers, etc. - dimensions, operating specifications, I am trying to determine how to maximize limited space yet have the ability to lager, crash cool, etc.
I really like what can be done with conicals, but the Ss bucket may be the best option for me.
This helps direct me. Again- much appreciated.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with mvakoc - some good information there. I wouldn't use a brite tank for fermentation, but then again, some people ferment in 5 gallon corny kegs (something I don't understand as you'd probably only end up to ~3-3.5 gallons beer in most cases once all is said and done as there's no room for krausen, plus blow-off with top cropping ale yeasts means you're throwing most of it away during active fermentation which is not good).

mvakoc wrote:
If you had room for a single product and money isn't significant factor I would get the appropriate sized Ss unitank. Provides the benefits of a conical and nearly all the benefits of a brite.

The nest best thing is a regular conical fermenter.

The next best thing, and the most bang for the buck, would be a Ss bucket.

Next I would suggest carboys and a bottling cain.

And last I would suggest doing it all in the brite tank.

While I agree with all this, I'd caution against the wording "next best thing" as "best" is subjective. If you don't have the needs for some of the features then there's not much difference between them. You can make excellent beer with all. Remember that different brewers will use different types of fermentation vessels based mostly on personal preference and convenience (or more exactly, to follow the process they want to use), not because one necessarily makes better beer than another.

I've had crappy beer from an expensive unitank. I've had excellent beer from a plastic bucket.
More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ferment-and-package

I use these myself: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Brew-Bucket-Stainless-Steel-Fermenter

But that's because I don't want or need a unitank for how I brew, nor do I want a conical as I don't harvest yeast, dump trub, or need any of the other conical features. Before these stainless buckets I used plastic buckets. Did my beer change when I switched? Nope. No difference at all. Again, remember that it's the process that matters, not the equipment, as long as you can do the process you want with the equipment you have. Pick equipment to match the process you want to follow. In my case the stainless buckets are simply more resilient. I still use racking cane because I find it easier and I have lots of years of experience in doing it (~30 years). I'm careful when I rack in that I don't disturb the sediment, I always purge the target vessel with CO2 and I don't splash.

YMMV. Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: