Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Moving Door Grounding Post

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Moving Door Grounding Post Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I am not to impressed with myself this early into the project. I planned everything out to what I thought was perfect. When I went to cut the 22mm holes, one of them wàs in the way of the grounding post. So I moved 2 holes up so it was not in the way of the post. Well turns out I forgot about the back of the switch being larger then the hole and it is about 2mm away from the post.

Couple questions;

1. Can I bent the ground so it all works. I'm 99.9% sure this is a no but i have to ask.

2. Seeing as I probably have to move the ground, is their a way I can fill the holes back in and recut then lower in the original spot?

I will post some pictures when I get back home so it makes a little more sense.

Thanks for your help!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving Door Grounding Post Reply with quote

ctshoyt wrote:
1. Can I bent the ground so it all works. I'm 99.9% sure this is a no but i have to ask.

When you post pics, can you show what you mean by this? Did you mean "Can I bend the ground post" maybe?

Quote:
2. Seeing as I probably have to move the ground, is their a way I can fill the holes back in and recut then lower in the original spot?

Sure. Use some JB Weld from the inside to attach the 22mm punched out hole (assuming you have one) or a small disk of some sort. Also use the JB Weld to fill in any gaps, sand, paint, etc. Trick is doing it somewhat cleanly so that it doesn't take hours of work to make it appear flat again like nothing happened.

The pics will help I think.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a fast reply.

Yes, that is totally what I mean. To bend the ground post on the door.

Also I moved the cut hole up 11mm, so both holes will intersect each other. Guessing i would have to cut the new hole and then somehow patch up the first one leaving the "good" hole at 22mm.

Also to note this is a build with one PID and one timer I'n the 2 pre cut dim slots case from auber instruments.

So mad with myself.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bending a ground post may not be the best choice, but should be fine as long as it doesn't weaken.

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I added the brewery tag, I used one longer bolt for the ground.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking like I'm going to have to move the ground post now that I can see it again, should have been more careful. Ya looks like i will just skip the interlock unless I have room after moving the ground.

Will have to add the pictures tomorrow from my computer. Getting nothing but "tried to load empty file" with my phone. File size might be to big.

Last edited by ctshoyt on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pictures;

Thanks!

20180105_084938.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.85 KB
 Viewed:  11671 Time(s)

20180105_084938.jpg

20180104_235311.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  252.82 KB
 Viewed:  11671 Time(s)

20180104_235311.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably see if you could bend the ground post. Or if you've got another bolt you're installing use GlennMcD's hint (though that's probably more useful if building to our design - you may not have a nameplate to install with bolts).

Kal

ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I'd probably see if you could bend the ground post. Or if you've got another bolt you're installing use GlennMcD's hint (though that's probably more useful if building to our design - you may not have a nameplate to install with bolts).

Kal

I do plan on getting some label tags and a logo name plate from your links so that could be an option for sure. I Think i will try to bend the ground first as that is the easiest solution. I'm still waiting for some parts to come in so I wont be able to actually start painting and assembling for a while yet.

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated!!

Chad
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the switch is not square on the back side. Did you try to turn it 90 degrees to see if that gives you more clearance?

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

701pilot wrote:
Looks like the switch is not square on the back side. Did you try to turn it 90 degrees to see if that gives you more clearance?

I thought about that, as long as the selector switch on the front panel stays in the proper orientation that should work. I remember playing around with it but don't think it can be rotated 90 degrees. I will have to give it another try and see for sure.
ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

701pilot wrote:

Tried your suggestion and the switch can not be rotated 90 degrees. The more I think about it, I wont be happy with how it looks until I move the switches back down to their original spot. I think i have some copper shim that is the same thickness of the original case. I will JB weld it over the current hole, then re make the hole in the proper spot with a conduit punch and finally fill in the areas that need with JB weld again, sand smooth and paint. At least it works in my mind, haha.
GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would believe adding a custom tag with bolts and using one with ground would be easier. But then again if I remember right I saw one I believe was Pipe Dream Brewery in Kal's testimonials that looked to have had a miss cut in the PID area and was fixed with a add on panel. I find that getting panel completed and moving on to next phase of your build is more important. I have worked on my build for almost 4 years. I need a couple of fittings for my keg fermenter and a hop screen for my keg boil kettle and I'm done. I just can't seem to find the time to order these parts. I even took advantage of some holiday sales and purchased my first grain bill and hops to brew Kal's Electric Hop Candy Jr. as my first all electric brew. Can't wait.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlennMcD wrote:
I would believe adding a custom tag with bolts and using one with ground would be easier. But then again if I remember right I saw one I believe was Pipe Dream Brewery in Kal's testimonials that looked to have had a miss cut in the PID area and was fixed with a add on panel. I find that getting panel completed and moving on to next phase of your build is more important. I have worked on my build for almost 4 years. I need a couple of fittings for my keg fermenter and a hop screen for my keg boil kettle and I'm done. I just can't seem to find the time to order these parts. I even took advantage of some holiday sales and purchased my first grain bill and hops to brew Kal's Electric Hop Candy Jr. as my first all electric brew. Can't wait.

I hear ya, I bought the pots over a year ago and they are just sitting in my basement while i use a cooler for a mash tun, and propane to heat my water/wort. This project is very daunting but I believe will be very rewarding when complete.

If I didn't have to wait a month or so for some parts I think I would just continue on but I have at least 3 weeks before I can move on to the wiring phase. So in that time I might as well try to fix the panel...or totally ruin it (hope not) to get it to how i want. Still going to use your logo and bolt ground idea!
ctshoyt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, here is the fixed almost finished front panel. Still waiting for one switch, and a few other parts before i start with the bottom portion of the panel.

I ended up using the 1/2 hole plug with the tabs cut off, then inverted and JB welded on. (I want to use Jb on everything now)

Not perfect but does the job!

20180117_222354.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.12 KB
 Viewed:  11413 Time(s)

20180117_222354.jpg

20180117_222400.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.83 KB

20180117_222400.jpg

20180129_230230.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  299.37 KB

20180129_230230.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: