Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy Jr. (New England Pale Ale)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
kal wrote:
A bunch of questions:

How are you fermenting?
17 gal SS Brewtech conical

What temperature?
68 deg F,

Is the the temperature stable during fermentation?
Yes, temp controller maintains between 67 to 68 deg

How long did it take to get to 1.019?
Day 6 gradually increased temp to 72 over the course of 1 day. Day 7 gravity was 1.019. Days 8 & 9 still at 1.019 then racked to secondary, dry hopped

How long after it got to 1.019 before you kegged?
Left in secondary for 3 days, still at 1.019, then kegged

How did you measure that it's at 1.019?
Hydrometer, checked with distilled water to make sure accurate

How's the FG of your other beers? Are they always higher than expected or is this one the only one?
This is the only beer I've had this problem. If anything my beers are a point or 2 lower than calculated

Kal

As always, thanks for your help
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Nothing sticks out as abnormal. I really don't know why you're finishing high. Sorry! Assuming mash pH is ok, my guess is that it has something to do with one or more of the ingredients you're using, but that's a complete guess simply because I'm out of other ideas.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal,
Most of the ingredents are from the same batch as previous brew so next time might try with new grains.
Dan Pratt

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Another winning recipe from your website.

I made this beer as a 5Gallon batch with some changes based on the ingredients we have here in Australia.

Hit OG of 1052, FG went 1012 as I mashed at 69c for my system

Malt bill was 97% the same, went with 3% Melanoiden instead of the Honey malt.

Amarillo for the FWH and 5min addition and went with Citra and Galaxy (replacing the Mosaic)

Fermented with Wyeast London Ale 1318 @ 18c

Added 2 ounces each of Citra/Galaxy after 48hrs of fermentation and it was a sight to see the hops stay in suspension during the ferment instead of just sitting at the surface.

Transferred to secondary after ferment had finished with another 1 ounce each of Citra & Galaxy Smile

So all up for 5Gal batch - post boil was 8 ounces and it turned out great, solid pungent aromatics and a delicious lower ABV NEIPA style beer. The low bitterness restricts the bite and you get a nice soft mouthfeel with loaded hops flavours as we now describe as Juicy.

Cheers.

[/img]

Capture.JPG
 Description:
First Pint from the Keg
 Filesize:  37.79 KB
 Viewed:  41783 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Dan! Thanks for the picture and glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Kal

AwakenedBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guests keep going back for more with this recipe so I decided to bump up to 15 gallon batches. When I was doing the 10 gallon batches I hit your numbers perfectly but not when I moved up to 15 gallon. The last three batches were 15 gallons and are 3-4 points low on my OG. Size of batch shouldn't matter as long as the recipe is scaled properly, correct?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always true as your equipment may behave differently with different batch sizes. On some equipment you may find you need to adjust accordingly.

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I choose Electric Hop Candy Jr. as the inaugural beer on my now completed system. I brewed this past Saturday and all went well. One slight boil over and a little slow getting through the trub into the fermenter is all I got concerned about. I now have bubbling wort fermenting away. I ended up hitting 1.048 after the boil.

I do have question though. I dry hopped at 24 hours but how often would you check gravity readings during fermentation to determine when I'm approximately 1.020?

Here's a couple of pictures I took.

IMG_1235.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.78 KB
 Viewed:  41515 Time(s)

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.79 KB
 Viewed:  41515 Time(s)

IMG_1232.jpg

View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

GlennMcD wrote:
I do have question though. I dry hopped at 24 hours but how often would you check gravity readings during fermentation to determine when I'm approximately 1.020?

Until you're comfortable enough to not have to take gravity readings to do it. Wink
In all seriousness, the 1.020 point for this beer/yeast is just an approximate place where you can bump up the temperature a bit. It's not critical that it be at 1.020 at all nor is it critical that you even bump up the temp. Assuming you pitched the recommended amount of yeast and held at 68F, it's probably 3-4 days after pitching. You'll note that the bubbling will have started to slow down.

Cheers!

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Sunday I transferred over to secondary and pulled a gravity reading of 1.020. I may have missed where I needed to be. But I have to say, this beer taste and smells outstanding. May end up low on ABV but very drinkable.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It stopped at 1.020? How long had it been at 1.020 before you transferred?

Normally if it's above the target gravity you wouldn't transfer as it removes the beer off most of the yeast will only make things worse (you're getting rid of the yeast that's working away turning sugars into alcohol). Always best to let the yeast completely finish up. Given the timeframe it should have been done however as I think it had been a week and half or so?

Kal

GlennMcD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its stayed at 1.020 for about 3 days. I believe my problem is going to be lack of good aeration. I felt I should have aerated it longer.

As for my first all-grain, if it still taste great in two weeks I can live with the lower ABV. I know with all the beer drinkers in my family that this batch will go fast and I will definitely try this one again as I can see that it will be a "go to" home brew.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Enjoy the beer!

Kal

sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to do brew this recipe tomorrow. The only deviation is Safale 04. I will report back later.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Kal

sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything went pretty well today. Pre boil gravity was 1.040 and post boil was 1.055. I had a new neighbor come over that was interested in the brew process and I got a little side track. Final runnings from the mash were 1.025 when it finished and I should have transferred the remaining water from the HLT to get more sugars from the grains until I hit 1.010 or my correct pre boil volume. Pre boil volume was just a little over 12 gallons and I was shooting for 13 but I did not think about it and started the boil. Hindsight. I put in some Safale 04 and have it chilled at 66 degrees. We'll see how it turns out.

Edit:
The hop stopper wasn't adequate and it bogged down to nothing. I had to scrape the screen with my metal continuously to get any movement. I gave my neighbor a 400 micron mesh hop basket about a year ago. I may try that to see if it helps with hoppy beers or I may try out the hop stopper 2.0.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the hear the brew day went well!

sillbeer wrote:
The hop stopper wasn't adequate and it bogged down to nothing. I had to scrape the screen with my metal continuously to get any movement. I gave my neighbor a 400 micron mesh hop basket about a year ago. I may try that to see if it helps with hoppy beers or I may try out the hop stopper 2.0.

What Hop Stopper are you using exactly? I looked up your email address and don't see any purchases of the original Hop Stopper from us. Is this something you build yourself?

While most are reporting that the redesigned Hop Stopper 2.0 has night and day performance difference, the original Hop Stopper should not require scraping like this. If that's what you're using, I'd email Dennis (the manufacturer) at IHomeBrewSolutions@TheElectricBrewery.com with as much details as possible as to how you used it and he'll be able to assist. Cheers!

Kal

sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will email Dennis later and discuss it with him even through I bought the Hop Stopper second hand. I am looking forward to using the 2.0.

Cheers.
piwko4

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting with RO water and adding 2.6 Gypsum, 10.6 Calc Chloride, 2.8 Epsom and 1.5 Baking soda. My final profile comes out to Ca=136,Mg=10,Na=16,Cl=200,SO4=100.

Is the higher Ca and issue since the recipe call for a Ca of 100? In the Water Adjustment guide, going slight over seems to not be an issue, but im over by almost 30%. Could i use NaCl (Table salt) to increase the Cl and get the Na up to around 16 without adding additional Ca?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piwko4 wrote:
Starting with RO water and adding 2.6 Gypsum, 10.6 Calc Chloride, 2.8 Epsom and 1.5 Baking soda. My final profile comes out to Ca=136,Mg=10,Na=16,Cl=200,SO4=100.

Is the higher Ca and issue since the recipe call for a Ca of 100? In the Water Adjustment guide, going slight over seems to not be an issue, but im over by almost 30%. Could i use NaCl (Table salt) to increase the Cl and get the Na up to around 16 without adding additional Ca?

No worries at all about the slightly higher Ca. Calcium's pretty much flavour neutral so it's not something you'll notice. I wouldn't worry about it. It'll turn out great!

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: