Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Cleaning SS Brew Bucket

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Cleaning SS Brew Bucket Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Recently received a new SS Brew Bucket. Instructions included with the brew bucket indicate to clean using warm water and TSP (in the amount recommended on the label. My box of TSP indicates 1/4 cup in 1 gallon of warm water for a mild cleaning.)

When I cleaned my brand new Blichmann BoilerMaker Kettles I simply used warm water and dish soap. In fact I've always done the same with any stainless before using for the first time.

Any idea why the SS Brew Bucket calls for cleaning with TSP? Something, chemicals left on the SS, during manufacturing?

Thanks.

Kraig
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different things can be used to clean SS. TSP is probably one of them. It's fairly powerful stuff. Good at breaking down organic material. It's what I use to clean our pool and hottub cartridge filters.

PBW is a common stainless cleaner. I use OxiClean myself (similar oxygen based cleaner, just not quite as powerful as PBW but easier to find, cheaper, available in convenient spray bottles too). Just don't use bleach on stainless.

I'm sure there are no specific reasons for them suggesting TSP other than the fact that it's worked well for them.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your an allergy sufferer I wouldn't touch the stuff, tsp is toxic to some people, go with pbw

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial strong cleaning is to remove all oils, etc. that might still be on the part due to manufacturing. After the initial clean, clean as you normally would.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two SS Brew Buckets and both of them had a black finishing compound on them. I used milder cleaners to begin with but when I would wipe the inside of the buckets with a damp paper towel it would come out gray in color. After cleaning with TSP the paper towels would come out clean. I used a mix of TSP and Oxy Clean for the heavier cleaning but mostly Oxy Clean. You can get TSP at Lowes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: