Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

HERMS coils length
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Herms coil optimization Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I'm also not a fan of increasing the HLT well beyond the mash temp to increase heat transfer rates as eventually the two will start to equalize. The process doesn't work for me as you don't have any way of ensuring you don't overshoot the mash temp.

my first few batches, it seemed to take forever to get the mash up to temp after mashing in, with the hlt set to the mash temp. i will pre-heat the hlt/mash tun before mashing in but only by a few degrees (the bigger the batch, the bigger the increase). after the grain is in, i drop the hlt setting to mash temp. for low gravity batches, saves about 10 minutes but saves about 20 minutes on the bigger ones.

another way i've found to speed up the process with the hlt set at mash temp the whole time is to stir up the mash five minutes or so after mashing in. yeah, yeah, busting up the grain bed but five minutes in should be no big deal. it seems to homogenize the mixture a lot faster, getting the warm liquid down to the temp probe in the kettle outlet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: