Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Blown HLT Fuse

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Blown HLT Fuse Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
While brewing yesterday I lost power to my HLT element. When I opened the cabinet one of the fuses to the HLT receptacle had blown. The picture included shows the fuse holder after the blown fuse had been removed. The fuse holder is somewhat charred and I know this has to be replaced. My question is should i also replace the HLT receptacle to which it is attached? It doesn't look damaged or burnt. After reading other threads on similar issues it looks like the cause for this is usually a loose connection. The connections inside the cabinet are secure. I took the HLT element plug apart and the black wire appeared to have backed out slightly. I advance this and tightened all the wires down. I am thinking that this may have been the cause. Any other recommendations?

20170916_102344_resized_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.42 KB
 Viewed:  16871 Time(s)

20170916_102344_resized_1.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my older back to back control panel this fuse holder is between the HLT receptacle and the HLT relay. Looking at the current build pictures these fuses are left out. Anyone have a guess why?
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Is this a panel we built for you or a kit you assembled? Can you email our manufacturer at sales@TheElectricBrewery.com with your order details and we'll get this back up and running for you.

RTD wrote:
On my older back to back control panel this fuse holder is between the HLT receptacle and the HLT relay. Looking at the current build pictures these fuses are left out. Anyone have a guess why?

There are fuses or breakers in all of our 50A designs. (Fuses used for kits, breakers used for panels we assemble).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
RTD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
This is one of your builds. I believe it was the first back to back system built by Mike back in Jan 2012. I waited to purchase one from you until you developed a back to back model because I usually brew several batches in a row .
I will email the manufacturer.
Thanks,
Rick

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop us an email and we'll get it fixed!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email received & forwarded - we'll send you some better fuse holders / new fuses.

Kal

RTD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks Kal.
Any idea why this happened?
Rick

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some cases the tension/crimp connectors that hold the fuses can, through repetitive heating/cooling, not hold the fuse as tight as before which can cause some resistance which causes heat.

Kal

RTD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Kal. The system has worked flawlessly from day one. Can't wait to get it back up and running!
Rick

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Fuse/breaker Reply with quote

Kal,

I have been thinking about building my system using your kit. I am wondering why you use breakers when you build them but provide fuses in the kits?

Thanks!
bethebine

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add I am not trying to be picky I just want to install the best items! If nothing else could you provide a link to the breakers that would be used in the 50 amp back to back rig. Are there any other differences with kits?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse/breaker Reply with quote

bethebine wrote:
I have been thinking about building my system using your kit. I am wondering why you use breakers when you build them but provide fuses in the kits?

Mostly for simplicity for those building. Using DIN parts requires a bit more knowledge. If you’d prefer we can sell you a DIN based kit instead. Just mention it in the comments when ordering. Functionally there is no difference. (We’ve been including much larger fuses and holders in the kits for years now). Cheers!

Kal

bethebine

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a DIN picture of a 50A / 30+ gallon panel going out today (if you're curious):

Kal

Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, I must admit, is a thing of beauty.
bethebine

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt. Id love to go that route but might be a bit scared without directions haha
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, functionality of the 'regular' panels is the same as is the quality of the parts. There's really no difference other than if you know what you're doing DIN can be faster to build when it do it repeatedly. If you don't know what you're doing, it can be a lot slower. Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: