Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

JonyMac's boil kettle side pickup tube and whirlpool port
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Master - yes, I am very happy with the whirlpool port and have ditched the hop stopper. I have now run 8 different batches using the whirlpool port and am very satisfied with the performance.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jony, can you fix your box links? They seem to have expired.
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:
Master - yes, I am very happy with the whirlpool port and have ditched the hop stopper. I have now run 8 different batches using the whirlpool port and am very satisfied with the performance.

Jonymac can you describe your process using the counterflow chiller and the whirlpool port? I've been listening to some podcasts about it. Do you just pump wort through the chiller at flameout to sanitize the chiller and then turn on the water to cool your wort? Do you do all your cooling while the wort is in the kettle and then pump the wort from kettle directly to the fermenter? Any additional concerns about aeration? Thanks.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby - Fixed! Sorry - moving all my pics and relinking them is a pain in the ass and I have been swamped for months.

kwdriver - Sure - I use the whirlpool port throughout the boil - out from the BK - into the wort pump and out of the pump into the WP port. 15 minutes or so to the end of the boil, i add my CFC into the loop to sanitize - out from the BK - into wort pump - out of the wort pump - into the CFC - out of the CFC - into WP port.

When I am ready to transfer to the fermenter, I remove the WP tubing and close the WP port, so - out from the BK - into the wort pump - out of the pump into the CFC - out of the CFC into the fermenter.

The result is a nice cone of hops in the BK, clear wort in the fermenter - single pass at 68ºF. No need for a hop screen. When I clean the CFC - I run my water n the opposite direction to ensure I blow any hops bits out.

If you are referring to so called "hot side aeration" - not really - have never seen it or tasted it on a home-brew scale... they say it can be real for very thin, light colored beers - lagers and such - but I do n ot make Bud Light...

Pic below shows my cooling configuration:

IMG_3020 by jonymac, on Flickr

LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jonymac. Where did you source your dip tube for your BK? Would most any piece of bent 1/2" stainless work with the blichmann ball valves?
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any 1/2" bent tube would work - i found a blichmann pickup tube online and just installed it backwards - short end in the port, long end on the bottom of kettle - works great.
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:
kwdriver - Sure - I use the whirlpool port throughout the boil - out from the BK - into the wort pump and out of the pump into the WP port. 15 minutes or so to the end of the boil, i add my CFC into the loop to sanitize - out from the BK - into wort pump - out of the wort pump - into the CFC - out of the CFC - into WP port.

When I am ready to transfer to the fermenter, I remove the WP tubing and close the WP port, so - out from the BK - into the wort pump - out of the pump into the CFC - out of the CFC into the fermenter.

The result is a nice cone of hops in the BK, clear wort in the fermenter - single pass at 68ºF. No need for a hop screen. When I clean the CFC - I run my water n the opposite direction to ensure I blow any hops bits out.

If you are referring to so called "hot side aeration" - not really - have never seen it or tasted it on a home-brew scale... they say it can be real for very thin, light colored beers - lagers and such - but I do n ot make Bud Light...

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to trying this out on my next brew day. I've been using a ss hop spider for the past year so it'll be a little strange totally ditching it.
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:

So whirlpool from kettle - pump - chiller - kettle for the last 15 mins of boil. Do you continue to whirlpool after flameout? If so how long. I would imagine the rolling boil would prevent any hop cone from forming. How long do you let it sit after you stop whirlpooling to let it settle? After flame out is the lid on or off? Any worry about DMS formation letting the wort sit just below boiling?
rob6239

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:

I want to recirc with a whirlpool just like you've done. I typically jumped to your "2nd phase" of kettle -> pump -> chiller -> whirlpool , at least to sanitize everything there for about 5 mins before end of boil.

once the whirlpool is going good, I know it can gather everything in the center, but I am worried about those first few minutes where the pump is drawing wort from the bottom without any filter . Have you had any trouble with that (assuming I described it correctly)
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would - but the hops cone pulls nicely to the middle - my pickup tube is on the bottom edge of the kettle on that little shelf just off the bottom and I have my whirlpool port with a small section of silicone tube pointed at the bent end of the pickup tube so the wort flows over and past it to keep it clear of debris. If you are really worried about it, you can strain the first few minutes through a strainer in the fermenter - I did that once just to see what it would pick up and there wasn't anything worth noting. You will still be dumping cold break and trub from your fermenter, so any little bit that makes it through will be dumped.

Pic below shows the configuration for the recirc port with tubing and the pickup tube:

IMG_2483 by jonymac, on Flickr

This one shows the transfer beginning into the fermenter - I used a filter to see how much gunk it picked up - as you can see - little to nothing:

IMG_2485 by jonymac, on Flickr

Massive hops cone at the end of the transfer:

IMG_2482 by jonymac, on Flickr

ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:

So you are circulating during the entire boil?

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:

IMG_2483 by jonymac, on Flickr

Are you filling up your BK in this photo? I only ask because I do exactly as you do on my brew day with regards to not not using a hop stopper and doing a whirlpool to cone the hops. But I fill up my BK by using the whirlpool fitting.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghandlin - yes - recircing though-out the boil - I don't see any reason not to...

dp - yes filling it from the top - guess I could fill it from the whirlpool fitting, but filling it from the top allows me to better see the amount going into the BK and match rates for the sparge water going into the mash tun. I am used to seeing the stream of wort in a certain shape and flow I suppose. Any benefit in filling from the whirlpool port?

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:
Any benefit in filling from the whirlpool port?

I do it this way for a couple of reasons. I've had hoses slip out of the boil kettle before, and that is no fun. I figure the port is right there, no reason to not use it. I also don't know if I believe hot side aeration but figured I might as well avoid it as much as possible. I'm sure even if it was true, every thing would boil out.

As far as matching flow. My whirlpool fitting is about 5 or so inches up from the bottom of the kettle. Once i get the trickle I want going into the BK I match the flow in my MT. Then I watch the water level in the MT and adjust the water going into the MT accordingly. Might not be the perfect setup but it works for me well.

jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - I will try that next brew day.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fill through the whirlpool port also, I added mine to the analog temp probe spot in front then angled it down a bit

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
I fill through the whirlpool port also, I added mine to the analog temp probe spot in front then angled it down a bit

That is the same location I added mine. Mine is horizontal rather than point down a bit. Not sure if that matters or not. I went sideways to try to get the best whirlpool flow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: